??? Barnes & Noble Changes Mind, Will Stock O.J. Simpson Book 'If I Did It'

1. Barnes & Noble Changes Mind, Will Stock O.J. Simpson Book 'If I Did It'

Thursday, August 30, 2007

NEW YORK — Barnes & Noble Inc. has changed its mind about the new O.J. Simpson book.
    After saying it would not stock copies of "If I Did It" in its stores, citing lack of customer demand, the chain told The Associated Press on Thursday that it would indeed carry the book.
    Since the initial decision on Aug. 21 against stocking the book, but selling it online, Barnes & Noble spokeswoman Mary Ellen Keating said: "We've been monitoring the pre-orders and customer requests and have concluded that enough customers have expressed interest in buying the book to warrant stocking it in our stores. We do not intend to promote the book but we will stock it in our stores because our customers are asking for it."
    For days Simpson's book has been in the top 100 on Barnes & Noble.com and at one point even topped the best-seller list. "If I Did It" has also entered the top 100 on Amazon.com.
    Simpson's ghostwritten, hypothetical story of how he would have murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman was originally scheduled to come out last November, but HarperCollins pulled the book in response to near universal protests.

Over the summer, a federal bankruptcy judge awarded rights to the book to Goldman's family to help satisfy a $38 million wrongful death judgment against Simpson. "If I Did It" will be published Sept. 13 by Beaufort Books on behalf of the Goldman family, which considers the book Simpson's confession.

Simpson has maintained his innocence in the 1994 killings in the Brentwood section of Los Angeles. Acquitted of the murders in 1995 and currently living near Miami, he has disowned the book, saying he had little do with its creation. The ghostwriter, Pablo Fenjves, has disagreed, saying "If I Did It" is based on extensive discussions with Simpson.
  2. oh yeah, they just want to make us happy. . . has nothing to do w/ $$$ . . . WTF-ever:rolleyes:

I'm grossed out.
  3. I heard that the Goldman family now have the rights to the book. Even if the book sells, O.J. would not be seeing a pretty penny!
  4. ITA :tdown:
  5. I still don't believe that type of book belongs in the bookstores, though!

The entire thing is in such bad taste.
  6. I know they own the rights now, but IMO it's SO ridiculous to dishonor the 2 victims this way.
    I know her sister is outraged.
  7. Should it be in libraries? I'm just curious if any public libraries will have it & if there is any controversy around that yet. Censorship is a slippery slope...
  8. I can't believe anyone is willing to publish, print, stock it, etc. . . .
    I'd be SOOO irate if it were my sister.
  9. does anyone think that by him writing and publishing a book like this that it kind of indicated he was guilty?! Like a teenager being caught shoplifting and given the benefit of the doubt, then giving lessons on the best methods of shoplifting?
  10. The idea of this book and everything about it sickens me.
  11. YES! This book is him laughing at the justice system. He's so proud of himself...he's SICK!
  12. Me too!
  13. :yes::yes: of course, that's the main problem here
  14. This makes me sick, The company that published his book is horrible!! I feel so bad for the family.
  15. so do I, both of their families...