Barbara Streisand Makes A $1 Million Dollar Donation

1. Barbra Streisand has donated $1 million from her fall concert tour to former US President Bill Clinton's favorite charity.

The singing legend, a staunch Democrat, became the most generous contributor to Clinton's pet charity, Climate Change Initiative.
    The organization has a goal to unite major cities across the world in order to minimize greenhouse gas emissions.
    Recently, the singer has announced that she planned to donate the profits from her forthcoming US tour, which takes place in October and November 2006, to charity organizations dealing with environmental, women's health and educational issues.
    The superstar will announce the potential recipients as she makes her decision.
    A spokesman for the artist also said that she has been donating to groups working on global climate change since the late 1980s.

Some notes about the outspoken songbird:
    • Streisand has defended celebrities' rights to speak out about politics, insisting there have always been strong links between Hollywood and Washington DC.
    • She has put hundreds of items from her films and personal life on auction to benefit several charities.
    • Sting, Eric Clapton and Barbra Streisand are among the artists who have donated songs to a new compilation aimed at raising funds for Save the Children.
    • She received a Human Rights Campaign award on March 6, 2003, for her support of gay and lesbian issues, religious freedom, and racial and gender equality.
    • As a friend of the Clinton administration, she supported Al Gore's 2000 bid for the presidency with an appearance at the Shrine Auditorium that raised $5 million.
  2. That's great that she is charitable, but I just don't like her. She's a bit of a hypocrite to me. She feels the need to insist that others conserve energy by line-drying their clothes or has asked that people give up their SUVs while she travels on private jets and via limos. I seriously doubt that she line dries her apparel. Sorry, just not a fan of her political views... love her voice, just not when she speaks. :smile:
  3. I'm not a fan, but am so glad to see her giving to such great, worthy causes. Way to go Babs!!!!
  4. Not a fan either...she is still touring and making a ton of money...don't worry because one million is not much to her.