Banned from making too many returns? - Share your experiences!

That's a little different because shrinking is considered a garment defect. Most sensible retailers will accept a return on clothing that shrinks.

So we are then discussing those who return things with the reason simply because they don't like the item anymore even when it's used? WOW people do that, and often??

I think stores offer the return option as a courtesy. I don't think the higher end retailers realize that sometimes their staff pressures a sale and then when the customer gets home, realizes that they don't feel good about their purchase. When someone returns things in a timely manner and they return things in saleable condition, their is not really a problem. However, there are people who return expensive items that they have worn (often with the tags) or try to try to return very old items. When people abuse this policy, the rest of us pay the price. There is apparantly a women who would buy expensive glassware/homegoods from Saks and ALWAYS return them- she was banned from buying anything and I don't blame the store because the items were costly and if they took back an item that a small chip in it that the SA didn't notice, they were the ones who had to eat the cost- they lost a sale and a very expensive item was damaged forever.
If they really don't want so many returns they need to do what Forever21 does- just store credit and only 21 days and final sale on items like shoes, jewelry.

Again, it begs the question as to why the stores have the return policy to begin with if people are penalized for using it, in excess or not.

There are people who always abuse generous return policies- and it's up to the store what to do with those customers- that doesn't mean they shouldn't have the return policy because 99% of the customers don't abuse them.

So we are then discussing those who return things with the reason simply because they don't like the item anymore even when it's used? WOW people do that, and often??

Yes, sadly and we all take the hit for it. A few posts back someone said she will be returning a bag she's had for six months. Though she's only used it once, it's out of season, and will be resold for a loss, if it can be resold at all. Eventually the prices are raised to compensate for that kind of behavior. I don't care if the store allows you to return it, it's hurts everyone else, and the returner knows it.

Frankly I would love it if the U.S. adopted a more European outlook on returns. It might curb the hideous overspending and debt that we have because it would prompt people to be more conscientious consumers. I'm in my late twenties and I honestly can't remember the last time I returned something. If I order something from the internet and find it doesn't fit, I exchange it or just pass it to a friend.

oh gosh yes.. I remember this one lady bought a bunch of stuff for a trip.. about 2 weeks later, she returned everything.. the tags were neatly placed in the pockets. The store had a very liberal return policy and the items were clean, so they took everything back.. That woman looked really great on her trip at the store's (and eventually our) expense.

Another time (different manager), a girl tried to return a party dress.. had creases across the lap, deodarant stains, and smelled like cigarettes.. The manager said, "if you are going to return something you've worn, at least have the decency to dry clean it first"

Both incidents were many, many years ago.. I think stores have gotten stricter about returning things without at least tags attached and it looking unworn.. then again, a "professional wearer/returner" knows to at least dry clean the item and how to reattach the tags

Totally Agree. An aunt used to work as a manager at a fancy dept. store. She said people would routinely come in with armloads of clothing from their dead aunt's closet, stuff that had been purchased 30 years before, and was often worn, and insist on returning it because it had store labels sewn into it. Because of the store's liberal return policy they had to accept the return, negotiating some sort of price if only to keep the person from going ballistic on the store floor. Then of course they had to call the Goodwill.

That reminds me of a story I read on the old Customers Suck website. A guy came into a store with a bunch of suits, ties, and dress shirts the store hadn't carried in over 10 years. He said he was a lawyer and had just retired. He stated he didn't need the clothes anymore, so he figured he'd return them! I don't recall if the store actually took the stuff back or not, but the nerve of this guy was appalling.

I've never gotten a nasty ban letter, but reading this thread makes me wonder if this bag I plan on returning this week will trigger this policy from Anthropologie? It has one of those unlimited return policies (no time limit). I wonder why bother having this kind of policy if you're going to end up banning people? Just state the 30 or 180 day policy. It's a bag I've carried once and forgot about (purchased 6 months ago) and has been sitting in my closet in its dustcover. I don't want to be embarassed when I show up there relying on that unlimited return policy and then get the "you're banned!" comment in front of everyone. I haven't returned excessively there, but have about 50% of the merchandise I've bought online at this particular store because all their clothes are made by different designers and an S could be an L in some instances.

if you carried the bag, you can't really return it, can you?
or do they accept used returns?

There are people who always abuse generous return policies- and it's up to the store what to do with those customers- that doesn't mean they shouldn't have the return policy because 99% of the customers don't abuse them.

That's precisely my point. People shouldn't be peanlized. It's the store's policy. If they don't like it, the store should change it. Simple as that.

I used to work at Barnes and Noble and they had a neat system to discourage people who were buying bargain books and trying to return them for full price for store credit by saying they didnt have the receipt--they marked the book with a black marker across the pages. Stopped a lot of fraudsters. Of course, also tipped off your gift recepients you bought them a cheapo book:smile:

This thread reminds me of when I used to work at Bath & Body Works. B&BW has a really liberal return policy, you can return/exchange anything no matter what, and there were definitely people who took advantage. I had this one lady who came in with almost a dozen burned candles (I mean they were burnt until the wick was gone and all that was left were the glass jars) and she wanted to return them because "they didnt burn evenly," and my manager let her! :wtf: I've had people return half-empty lotions and body washes, a robe that had crumbs on it, and used scented wall plug-ins. I dont know if it's still like that because that was several years ago, but there's a lot of swindlers out there.

linpaddy - I just wanted to chime in and say I think they may have been getting lots of returns on the jewelry. I just bought a piece online that I had seen in store and some of the stones are already out when I got it. I'm keepign it because it's vintage looking and I don't mind too much with that piece. When I was ordering it and was looking at their website a lot of the comments on the jewelry were negative. A lots of them had stones falling out, pieces falling off, pieces that had no dimensions or modelling shots being larger or smaller than wanted, and pieces where IRL the "stones" looked really plastic vs looking like rhinestones or crystals. So I'm hoping you're alright and they realize that they didn't do a good job of things.

I do a fair bit of returns (I'm one of those buy now and figure it out at home types) so I read this thread in interest. In reading this, quite honestly, there ARE people who are abusing return policies AND deserve to be banned.

I can't imagine wearing clothes and returning them after the season is over or tiring of them. That's quite different than having a defect in a product or returning something within the return period with all tags attached. I don't blame the stores.

I hope they are careful about who they ban and how they handle it. I hope they have enough common sense and decent business practices to ban scammers only. Good customers who might be indecisive or have limited time or shop online should not be punished. I spend a lot of money at the stores I frequent and I make returns for whatever reason I deem necessary. If they want to ban me as a customer then forget them! I really don't care to give my money to any store who would "ban" me. I don't really need to deal with a superior attitude from a retail establishment and if a retail chain is going to mistreat their GOOD customers than I'll gladly stop spending money there and watch them go out of business. I hope they put as much consideration into their screening process as they expect us to put into our purchasing process.

linpaddy - I just wanted to chime in and say I think they may have been getting lots of returns on the jewelry. I just bought a piece online that I had seen in store and some of the stones are already out when I got it. I'm keepign it because it's vintage looking and I don't mind too much with that piece. When I was ordering it and was looking at their website a lot of the comments on the jewelry were negative. A lots of them had stones falling out, pieces falling off, pieces that had no dimensions or modelling shots being larger or smaller than wanted, and pieces where IRL the "stones" looked really plastic vs looking like rhinestones or crystals. So I'm hoping you're alright and they realize that they didn't do a good job of things.

Thank you for your sharing your insight.

I'm very disappointed in BR's quality lately. The jewelery collection was fabulous when it was first launched but the quality has gotten shoddier.

The collection looks amazing online but not in real life. For the price, I prefer established costume jewelers that are carried in Nordstroms. I agree with your point about stones that look flat and plastic although they are supposed to be crystals. They look and feel like very cheap.

Even BR's clothes are not as high quality although the prices are the same. Clothes that shrink and wrinkle badly after a wash (care label says to machine wash) and sweaters that pill after a couple years.

Sigh. I love BR and am a Lux card holder. Unfortunately, I seem to be making more returns than ever so I may just stop purchasing from them.