Banned from making too many returns? - Share your experiences!

Hello everybody,

I was reading up on stores' return policies and did not realized that stores could ban you from making too many returns!

This totally shocked me as I did not know that stores could do that!
I read that a TPFer received a nasty letter from Bl**mingdales from returning too many pairs of shoes. But the shoes were mostly from online and unworn with the receipt to boot! She did not do anything wrong!

This worries me. Over the past month, I ordered almost $1k worth of jewelery from Banana Republic (in separate orders). They were meant as gifts but I was very disappointed at the quality.

I had no problems doing the returns although a couple of BR clerks checked the items very carefully (making me feel really bad).

I am now worried that I could be banned from BR because I have a very high return rate. I use a store card so I know that I am definitely being tracked!

Does anybody have similar stories to share or experiences from being banned? How do we know what triggers a ban? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Seriously???? I've never heard of this! The weirdest and most wonderful thing is Nordstrom return policy.....but BR banned policy...wow....good luck!

It used to be that you could return anything as long as the item was un-used, the store carried the item, and you don't mind being issued a store credit. Last Christmas, I got a bunch of stuff I didn't need and tried to return them after doing my research and finding out which stores they came from. I was totally unsuccessful! Even during the holiday seasons, the stores were not taking back anything without a receipt even if you tell them that you got it as a gift.

Wow, I didn't know you could get banned for making too many returns, although I suppose one has to draw the line somewhere if there are people abusing the system.

I purchase a lot from Amazon but also return a lot, largely because I receive books that are in less-than-stellar condition, and if I'm purchasing "new", I naturally expect to receive a book in actually "new" condition. Still, I wonder if Amazon is keeping an eye on me as a result ...

Wow, I was banned from BlueFly a few years ago! I used to order from them all the time...usually keeping about 1/3 of what I ordered (it's difficult on-line to know that everything would fit properly). I had ordered multiple sizes of the same sweater, kept one, returned the other. The next order I placed was rejected because I had returned too many things. This was at least 5 years ago, so if things have changed I'm glad it did, but they will NEVER see a penny of mine again if I were given the opportunity to purchase from them.

Meanwhile, NAP is awesome. I order from them at least monthly...sometimes I keep everything, sometimes everything goes back. But the net result is that I spend $$thousands with them. IMHO restricting returns on online items is a business killer. How is anyone supposed to know exactly what they are getting if they can't try it on and return if it doesn't fit?

Rant over.

IMHO restricting returns on online items is a business killer. How is anyone supposed to know exactly what they are getting if they can't try it on and return if it doesn't fit?

I totally agree. I can see an online retailer getting annoyed if they offer free return shipping, because they essentially lose money on that sale if you wind up returning everything, but honestly, that's is just the nature of operating an online-only business.

That being said, I'm hoping ebags isn't going to ban me because I've ordered a few bags from them recently and will likely be returning all of them.

I just wanted to let you know that I work at Banana Republic, and we certainly don't have a policy regarding too many returns. In fact, I return around 3/4 of what I buy too.

We do get a lot of fraud around the holidays, and people will do crazy things you wouldn't believe, so we always check everything carefully just to be safe!

But don't worry, they shouldn't ever stop allowing you to make returns.

IMHO restricting returns on online items is a business killer. How is anyone supposed to know exactly what they are getting if they can't try it on and return if it doesn't fit?

Rant over.

I know it's different for big online retailers, but as a small-time Ebay seller, I emphasize that, assuming you're buying for yourself, there's no reason my items shouldn't fit: I provide several dead-accurate measurements and even have a guide on my website that shows the buyer how to measure their own jeans, then check the numbers against those I've listed. (I also have conversion guides for newbie buyers to take those measurements and figure out what their "fit size" is, since I always list my items by what size they fit rather than what's on the tag.) I don't forbid returns outright, but I allow 6-month store credits for the list price minus all shipping plus a restocking fee, so most buyers will find it more profitable to resell, and I rarely have to deal with a return. (It is a PITA for me when someone does, though--since I've probably lost all the other watchers on that item before I relist it!) I do recognize that most online retailers aren't this generous or accurate with measurements, which makes it a lot harder to judge fit.

Most of the time I don't take things back because I tend to stick with designers that I'm familiar with so sizing and the overall silhouette is usually not an issue as long as I like the color/print. However, I can see the reason on both sides. My regular SAs sometimes tell me there are always clients who buys then returns everything; surely this is a pain in the butt for retailers. But if the selection is limited at the store, then people have no choice but to order first to try and possibly return if it doesn't work. Stores shouldn't hold this against their customers.

I will say that some customer service reps are really difficult about returns/exchanges, even though you're well within the dates and your item is brand new, with tags attached and a receipt. I believe they chose to be rude on purpose. I once bought a sweater at Saks for a friend, called her 10 minutes after to tell her I found her sweater. Turns out I got the wrong color, so naturally I went back to Saks for an exchange. The SA fondles the sweater for a good 5 minutes, calls for her manager and asked me "Have you worn this?". Hmm, the receipt was stamped less than 15 minutes ago, what do you think? :lol:

I know it's different for big online retailers, but as a small-time Ebay seller, I emphasize that, assuming you're buying for yourself, there's no reason my items shouldn't fit: I provide several dead-accurate measurements and even have a guide on my website that shows the buyer how to measure their own jeans, then check the numbers against those I've listed. (I also have conversion guides for newbie buyers to take those measurements and figure out what their "fit size" is, since I always list my items by what size they fit rather than what's on the tag.) I don't forbid returns outright, but I allow 6-month store credits for the list price minus all shipping plus a restocking fee, so most buyers will find it more profitable to resell, and I rarely have to deal with a return. (It is a PITA for me when someone does, though--since I've probably lost all the other watchers on that item before I relist it!) I do recognize that most online retailers aren't this generous or accurate with measurements, which makes it a lot harder to judge fit.

even with the best of descriptions though, unless it's a style ive tried on in real life, it might just not look right on, even if the "fit" is right per say. i want the option of returning, although i can understand not refunding shipping charges...

Most of the time I don't take things back because I tend to stick with designers that I'm familiar with so sizing and the overall silhouette is usually not an issue as long as I like the color/print. However, I can see the reason on both sides. My regular SAs sometimes tell me there are always clients who buys then returns everything; surely this is a pain in the butt for retailers. But if the selection is limited at the store, then people have no choice but to order first to try and possibly return if it doesn't work. Stores shouldn't hold this against their customers.

I will say that some customer service reps are really difficult about returns/exchanges, even though you're well within the dates and your item is brand new, with tags attached and a receipt. I believe they chose to be rude on purpose. I once bought a sweater at Saks for a friend, called her 10 minutes after to tell her I found her sweater. Turns out I got the wrong color, so naturally I went back to Saks for an exchange. The SA fondles the sweater for a good 5 minutes, calls for her manager and asked me "Have you worn this?". Hmm, the receipt was stamped less than 15 minutes ago, what do you think? :lol:

i agree for the most part

but having worked in retail i can't tell you how annoying it was to get returns from a neighboring store (sometimes brought in the same day) where that store was only five minutes away, ten max if you walk slow.

i think that if you brought it at a store, you should darn well be able to return at that store. i've read where some actually has one store they would buy from solely and another they'd return solely.

that is not fair for the revenues of the returning store.

i'm not sure if its because those people don't have the guts to, or if they don't want the other store to know they don't really keep everything they buy..or what..but i always tell customers if you don't like it, bring it back.

you gave me $300 for that bag, and if you return it, then i'm back to $0. nothing is gained yea, but nothing is lost.

if you brought it from another store, and you returned it at another, then the one that takes the return is -$300.

of course, no one expects you to return at the same store you brought if it was a trip out of town or if its not convenient.

but five minutes away?

I read this thread with great interest because this month I have been doing more returns than before. I have been shopping a lot more online and trying designers that I had not worn before. I am also difficult to fit (petite and short-waisted) and really picky about how things fit. I like to order the same thing in two sizes so I can really judge the fit with some comparison, and frankly any store that would give me any hassle about returning because of fit would not see my money again. I don't buy things to wear and then return. That to me is a fraud. Since I am an honest customer truly hoping to buy something with the best fit, without a liberal return policy there is just no way I would order anything online.
It annoys me that there are people who take advantage of this. I once ordered a sweaterdress from lacoste.com, and it arrived with a stain on the front. Really, how could that be? I returned it and they credited me the return shipping. But it still made me wonder about the person who obviously returned it before they sold it to me.

Returns cost stores a lot of money, especially when people abuse the policy and say, buy a fancy dress, wear it to an event, and then return it, with make up stains and reeking of smoke, but with the tags still on, and claim they never wore it. It costs online businesses even more because of postage costs and fees associated with issuing refunds. You shouldn't being using an online store as if its a virtual fitting room. If you are picky or hard to fit, you should be buying at brick and mortar stores only.

Another thing, if you are buying multiple sizes of the same item and then returning most of them, you look like a reseller that is returning unsold inventory, another reason ban letters happen.