Bank error in your favor

1. How stupid was this guy, did he really think he was going to get away with stealing someone elses money, it really makes wonder how people think - he pleaded innocent!

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN2137360620080221

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:33am EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York man who discovered that millions of dollars had mysteriously appeared in his bank account, and withdrew more than $2 million, has been arrested on charges of grand larceny, prosecutors said on Wednesday.

Benjamin Lovell, 48, pleaded innocent on Tuesday to charges that he withdrew money from a Commerce Bank account that had been opened by someone with the same name, prosecutors said.

The account belonged to Woodlawn Trustees Inc, a Delaware property management company, and was listed under the name of its finance director, who is also named Benjamin Lovell, court papers said.

Lovell had just $800 in his own Commerce Bank account when he went to make a deposit, but a teller, mistaking the Woodlawn account for Lovell's personal account, told him that his account contained more than $5 million, prosecutors said.

Lovell made multiple withdrawals even though he knew that the money was not his, prosecutors said. He used the money to buy jewelry for his girlfriend and to make several investments, they said.

Commerce Bank and Woodlawn Trustees did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The Legal Aid attorney representing Lovell could not be reached for comment either.

Lovell is being held on $3 million bail. He faces up to 25 years behind bars if convicted, prosecutors said.

(Reporting by Edith Honan, Editing by Sandra Maler)

2. I guess he thought he could get away with it because it was his bank account. He should have just been honest in the first place.

3. Dishonestly gets you no where.. and ignorance of the law (much like stupidity) is no excuse !!

4. Money makes people do unthinkable things..

5. Sheesh, what was this fool thinking?

6. It wasn't his bank account, the bank teller mistook the other account in the same name as his.

"The account belonged to Woodlawn Trustees Inc, a Delaware property management company, and was listed under the name of its finance director, who is also named Benjamin Lovell, court papers said.

Lovell had just $800 in his own Commerce Bank account when he went to make a deposit, but a teller, mistaking the Woodlawn account for Lovell's personal account, told him that his account contained more than $5 million, prosecutors said".

7. When I first read the title of this thread, I thought of the game Monopoly.

8. I thought of that episode of Family Guy where he accidentally gets paid too much of his state benefit and goes out and buys a speedboat etc :roflmfao:

9. Idiot.

10. did he think the bank fairy had deposited it all in his account? I agree he shouldve been honest - look where he is now.

11. What an idiot.

12. i just dont see how people could live with themselves spending other peoples money. then again i dont get how people could steal stuff either. mabe i just have a guilty conscience. this guy really was an idiot!

13. Idiot! Glad he got caught.

14. Um, this isn't an episode of Friends. They're not going to apologize for the error, let you keep the money and send you a free football phone!

15. On another board I read, they stated that he tried to tell the bank manager twice who assured him no mistake was made (I guess the manager didn't think to check to see if there were two people with that name). I guess the guy figured screw you but didn't think about the fact that it wasn't really his money and would come back to bite him. Years ago, we had a 2000 credit put onto our credit card as a payment that we didn't make. Sure enough, they took it back the next month (it took 3 weeks even though we called to tell them of the error). Did we think "Hey we have 2000 more to charge!" Heck no! People are ....:rolleyes: sometimes.