BalNY, you disappoint me!

It was good to read your post. I know its an older post but I HAD to comment. I know 3 women who went to BalNY with their DH's. These women have exquisite taste, not to say anyone else doesnt. They are also uber wealthy and very humble. One of their husbands is an extremely famous Rock Star. They said the staff was so unfriendly, snobby, and unhelpful, and they were spending alot of $$$. What is that, how obnoxious!!!! So I guess the good news is they treat everyone equal......like crap!!

I think that I will be going there around Thanksgiving. I really want to go in, see how they treat a Florida Keys girl. Should I go get some clothes at K-Mart to make them extra snobby? Maybe wear flip flops?:lol:

hmm, i actually didn't get that feeling when I went to BalNY the first time... I thought my SA was really friendly, and as soon as she figured out what I was looking for, she went into the back and brought out all the possible looks/colors I had mentioned, and she gave me plenty of time to walk around with the bags and model them. I ended up buying a pine green step.

Granted, it wasn't my favorite shopping experience ever. I would prefer to have all the bags out in front of me, because this way I feel like I'm not inconveniencing anyone by browsing at my leisure. I also hate how far away it is - I usually stay on the east side and Barney's is fantastic for customer service (I walk in with a t-shirt and ripped jeans - they were designer ripped jeans, but I still looked like a complete bum) and the SAs fell all over themselves to show me the Bottegas and Balenciagas. Barney's doesn't have a bad selection of Bbags, either.

I think that I will be going there around Thanksgiving. I really want to go in, see how they treat a Florida Keys girl. Should I go get some clothes at K-Mart to make them extra snobby? Maybe wear flip flops?:lol:

:woohoo: LOL! Yes! Don't forget to buy a big shiny handbag to carry too!

Everybody's a critic! I remember in "Silence of the Lambs," even Hannibal Lector, had to slip in some snobbery. When Jodie Foster first walked up to his cell, he commented on her "expensive," handbag, and shoes she'd obviously gotten from a discount store. It made even him seem a bit more obnoxious! :Push:

Before I would go to the BalNY, I think I would visit Aloha Rag first! I've been to Maui several times and it's always amazing. All the SAs in the high end boutiques I visited were so nice and friendly. I bought a wallet at LV and the SA sent me a wonderful letter after I returned home. I thought that was so nice considering it was only a wallet purchase and she knew I was not a local. Everytime I email AR they are so accomadating, prompt, and polite. While New York is definately high on my "places to visit" list, this midwest gal may be a bit to intimidated to hit up BalNY.

Aloha rag, were so nice to me via email.they didn't have the colour i wanted.

balny, have been really good a lady called daisy was emailing me. but when i called them i did feel as though it was a inconvenience for the sa's. but also i was waking up at 3am to call at the right time. so it could have been me trying to wake up.

I agree that there can be lots of attitude depending on the particular SA...

however, I've felt that it's actually easier to try on bags for style, size, and fit at department stores that have more accessible displays, and then do my color research online. when I finally go to the boutique itself, then I ask specifically for what I want in the exact combination. Once they bring it out, or even it it's not in stock, I then ask them to bring out similar styles and colors they think I may also like based on the first choice. that's usually when the floodgates open with the goodies from the back!!

and how BalNY operates is hardly unique; LV, Bottega, Chanel, etc., all keep most of their stock in the back, and you can either look through the book and point out what you want, or just ask specifically for what you're looking for. It's definitely harder to just browse at those places and hope to run into your dream bag.

they just want the entire experience to seem super exclusive, though in fact, it takes all the fun out of it when they take the snottiness too far. :tdown:

I don't like shopping like that. A lot of times IDK what I want until I've seen it or have tried it on. With LV, at least they have their stuff on display.

I think I would visit Aloha Rag first! I've been to Maui several times and it's always amazing. All the SAs in the high end boutiques I visited were so nice and friendly.
Yup, I was in AR 2x and they were as friendly in person as on the phone, but that's Hawaii for you, friendly over all. As someone said it is a regional thing.

I definitely will not spend my money nor give anyone commission for them giving me attitude or snobbery. I think it is very disrespectful but luckily I have not experienced this quite yet. Doubt I will be going to BalNy anytime soon though...I will stick to Barney's.