balenciaga whistle

1. hello! I am looking to get my FIRST balenciaga bag. I dont know much about balenciaga, and I would like to hear your opinion on the balenciaga whistle. It doesn't seem like a popuar bag since I can't find it in the reference forum. Did it just come out in 2007, will it continue? Thanks!

2. I'd like to hear some feedback on the whistle bag as well. Ladies?

3. What's a Whistle Bag!? :weird:

4. Here is a picture of the bag!

B.jpg

5. Why a City/twiggy girl would want a Whistle bag
    I first became interested when I saw the black/silver combo. Thought it looked like the shape of the twiggy (which I love) but the large size seemed bigger (which I wanted).

Description
    Similar to a twiggy but with a silver buckle and leather straps across the length of the top zipper. Calf leather, not goat like the motorcycle line. Has the cutest little silver whistle and key on a small chain around a strap. Lock seems purely decorativie.
    Dimensions of large bag (avail in 3 sizes): 17" x 9" x 11" 16" strap, can be worn over the shoulder. Retail $1590 (?). In comparison the twiggy measures 14" x 7" x 6" and usually cannot be worn on the shoulder.

So I got it and...
    I love it! It's still a really cool Bbag, but it's a change for those of us who might have a dozen and are getting a bit bored (God I sound pretentious! Really I'm not).
    I love my cities in classic colors, and die for the 03's and 04's with pewter hardware (almost impossible to find a twiggy in those). I also love the shape of the twiggy because I find it "sits" better on a table or counter. The city spralls like an ungainly big dog, panting, with it's tongue hanging out. I've also often thought, I love the twiggy, but find it a touch too small for a day in the life of a busy mom. The silver hardware totally attracts me as I'm not so much a gold or brass girl.
    Lambskin is thicker and more substantial than goat leather, but still wonderfully soft and distressed. I *really* love it. It does add a bit of weight to the bag, nothing like a paddy though.

Who would want this?
    Someone who is bored of the "regular" motorcycle line and is looking for a change.
    A gal who loves the shape of the twiggy but finds it too small.
    Someone who is just jonesing for silver hardware and can't resist the lure of the adorable whistle, lock and key.
    A Chloe girl who finds the paddy too damn heavy too drag around. Really, this is Balenciaga's version of the paddy, and having owned both, I can honestly say I prefer the Whistle.

So here are pics. I got the cafe color and attached the tassle from the mirror onto the zipper (the moto line has conditioned me, can't live without my tassles) and it's taking every ounce of will power not to chop off that silly zipper pull. And if anyone wants to send me another cafe tassle I would be eternally greatful!
    One of the pics shows how large the bag is with my rouge vif money inside.

cafewhi1.jpg cafewhside.jpg cafewhinside.jpg cafewhtop.jpg
  6. Thanks for the response! I am a bit confused about the pricing. The one I want is a bit over 2000, but then I saw others around 1000. What are the difference between these bags with diff price range?

7. Hi there! I also am one of the few who own a whistle. I have the small box-shaped one (also "Box" shaped Balenciaga wise). I'm at work so I don't have access to my photos, but I'll search for the post.

Anyway, some of the whistles have exotic animal trim, and there are some various hardware options including rose gold, and I believe this accounts for the price difference in the styles.

On the bright side, whistles tend to go on sale at the end of the season whereas the moto styles don't as much. So it's much easier to get a 50% off whistle than, say, a City or Brief.

I am a whistle devotee. I love the leather and its understated but edgy style, plus the silver hardware!! Mine's straps are too small to fit on my shoulder, but mine would look weird if I could. But the leather!! It's great.

8. When I started searching for my first Balenciaga bag, I did what most girls who don't live around any stores that carry Bbags would do... I went online. I saw many sites with the Whistle bag at a discount and I was tempted to buy. But then after doing more research (joining tPF) I realized that what I am in love with is the more classic styles and the hanging tassels. I am still getting used to the Giant hardwares.

9. I noticed that Bluefly seems to have a fair amount of Whistles at any given time. I was almost tempted too, but decided I really like/need the shoulder straps.

10. Oh also, it did not just come out in 2007; mine is from F/W 2006. I believe that 2006 was the first year for the whistle.

Thanks to the last two posters too! It's really important that she hear from some Bbag girls who don't love the whistle. You don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a bag you only sort of like or don't find practical.

11. Thanks everyone!

12. I have two Whistle bags - the Brown (with the Ostrich Leg - Holiday '06 collection) and Black (with Silver Hardware). It's funny ... I've never cared for the Twiggy style, but I do like the Whistle bag. I always "funk" mine up by adding various *charms* (skull heads, etc.) to them ... and the leather on these bags is divine (Lamb versus Goat).

I think we should include the Whistle bag in our Reference Library ... after all, it does have some of the Balenciaga qualities to it (mirror & tassels)!

13. I agree.. I think we should too. I just order the one with Ostrich Leg. By the way, what does that have to do with Ostrich? (sorry if it is a stupid question). :p

14. Not many response here... Anyone else own a whistle bag? Maybe it is not a very popular one...?

well.. i guess that's not a bad thing.. something diff.. :p