Bald Spots and Losing Hair!

1. Hey everyone. I was wondering if any of you have suffered from hair loss, and I'm not talking about just extra shedding. When I was very young (2 years old) I had bald spots on my head. The doctor told my mom that it was alopecia areata and gave her some cream to put on the spots. Well, all my hair grew back and I've never had any problems with it since.

Then, just this week, I notice a bald spot about the size of a dime on my head! I've been doing research and have been reading a lot about alopecia areata. I made an appointment with a dermatologist, but of course, can't get in for 2 weeks. So, hopefully it will not get any larger!

Just wondering if anybody else knows anything about this or any sort of similar problems. I HAVE been sick this week, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? As for stress, I'm in law school and was under a lot of stress in early December (finals time and the holidays), but can say that the last few weeks have been relatively stress-free for me. I also read that thyroid and/or hormonal imbalance can be to blame, so I made an appointment with an endocrinologist to get my thyroid checked out (I've been wanting to do this since I saw Oprah's episode about it.)

Anyways, any input is appreciated!!
  2. Sorry to hear about this~ My friend recently had this problem, and her derm attributed to stress. It was diagnosed as alopecia areata, as you said. Her hair grew back after regular use of med cream. It wouldn't hurt to check with your primary physician either about your thyroid. Make sure the lab uses updated method to test for thyroid. Good luck
  3. Thanks, Viva. I've read that the derm can also give you an injection of cortisone in the spot. Although it sounds unpleasant, the hair is supposed to grow back quicker...I'm all for that!! I'll let you know...
  4. I use to get a bald spot if I get stress and after each pregnancy. The bald spot sometimes get as big as a quarter, but it always grows back.
  5. I was just talking about this with a coworker today. She has several bald patches which you can only see when her hair blows. She was told that it was stress, but found out this week that it was a thyroid issue. So, she is now taking thyroid meds. and is hoping for the best. I hope you get it resolved. Good luck.
  6. About a year ago i had a bald spot on the back of my grew back though. Now that I think about it, it was a stressful time for maybe you're just stressed out.
  7. My son's hair started to fall out after a car accident. Definitely stress!
  8. My Aunt experienced this and as another person mentioned she got Cortizone shots in the scalp and is totally fine now. She was very happy with the results.