Bagpunk's Theory On Body And B-bag Shapes

AAAAACKCKCK!!!!! All of you teensy tiny girls... :cursing: oh well. I am 47 years old, 5'4" and over 175 lbs., small busted, and thick in the middle. And you know what? I've been carrying my Origan Twiggy every day since January because I love the bag! And I think it looks smashing on me. Tiny purses disappear against me. (Although I do love my LV mini speedy sac HL for dinners out on Saturday nights.)

This is a great thread, but I don't want anyone to think that all tpf girls are young and model-thin. Or that you have to be that to enjoy carrying an excellent bag! I know I can't wear high-end clothes (can't fit into 'em, can't afford 'em, can't find 'em,) but I always try to dress well and wear great accessories (shoes, bags, jewelry, etc.) People have been complimenting me for years on how "put together" I look. (And, yeah, I love that.:shame: )

I guess I will chime in now. I am 5'4 at 123 lbs.(I really have to watch myself or I can gain) and I wear heels most of the time. My shoulders and hips are the same width and I am a 34C with a bubble butt. I've never really thought about the shape of a bag against my frame except for the twiggy. I think it is too wide for me. I think all my other bags look good on me but I am still trying to get use to my Purse style. I love the style but it is a little wide. I REALLY want a Work, Box, Mini Bowling and the new Hobo (only in regular hardware...if they make it like that).

Very interesting thread. I'm an apple - I carry any extra weight in the middle and currently I'm carrying quite a bit of it. So, although I am short (5'0"), the Day bag is by far the most flattering on me, because it's a long, lean line and doesn't add bulk at the middle. Cities look okay if I carry them by the handles or in the crook of the elbow, but not on the shoulder, because that draws attention to my lack of waist, and the first looks too small. The twiggy looks better than the city, but I can't quite work out the mechanics of why that is so. It just does. It mysteriously helps to give me the illusion of an hourglass. Still, until I lose weight, the day's my girl!

AAAAACKCKCK!!!!! All of you teensy tiny girls... :cursing: oh well. I am 47 years old, 5'4" and over 175 lbs., small busted, and thick in the middle. And you know what? I've been carrying my Origan Twiggy every day since January because I love the bag! And I think it looks smashing on me. Tiny purses disappear against me. (Although I do love my LV mini speedy sac HL for dinners out on Saturday nights.)

This is a great thread, but I don't want anyone to think that all tpf girls are young and model-thin. Or that you have to be that to enjoy carrying an excellent bag! I know I can't wear high-end clothes (can't fit into 'em, can't afford 'em, can't find 'em,) but I always try to dress well and wear great accessories (shoes, bags, jewelry, etc.) People have been complimenting me for years on how "put together" I look. (And, yeah, I love that.:shame: )

You work it, girl! It is all in the attitude. You can be thin and if you are not feeling good about how you look and feel, no Bbag is going to make you feel like you look good. We are all different sizes in this world! :yes:

This is such an interesting thread..making me wonder if my bags actually do suit me...?
I am 5'5", 130-135 lbs. and definitely "athletic hourglass" with broader shoulders and hips and small waist. My favourite by FAR is the City and I usually carry it like a briefcase, I guess it does elongate the figure that way (hadn't thought about it before). I carry the City on my shoulders using the long strap for a more casual outfit, and over the shoulder with handles if I'm wearing a slimmer outfit. I also love my Firsts but carry them in the crook of my arm, not on the shoulder or in the hand (unless it's with a dress, in which case I use the shoulder strap). My best suited shape is probably the Day or any sort of slouchy hobo style that pulls the eye downwards and adds length even though I'm not that tall. I only wear heels at work so usually I'm in flats with my b-bags..need all the height I can get!
Of course, now that I'm preggers, I guess I'm going to have to find the perfect bag for my new upcoming fabulous shape:
"balloon"
:balloon:

i'm 5'4" and 85 lbs

i have a very thin body when u see from the sides :P that's why i covered up with layers of clothing and big bags :P
i'd prefer bags in taller proportion because a wide proportion (like twiggy and PT) will made my body looks thinner.

i also have flat boobs :P and i don't like to wear messenger bags because it'll flatten up my boobs when the straps sling on my front body.

I'm 5'2", 103-5 lbs depending on last night's dinner, and a former hourglass now more like up-and-down due to the flabby post-pregnancy waist. I feel like I can rock the First, City, Work, Twiggy, and Day quite well. Some think that the Work and Day look "biggish" on me since I'm so short, but that comment usually comes from people who carry tiny shoulder bags.

I do not rock the Part-Time. It looks waaaay weird and long on me. I think my shortness is the main reason why such a long bag just doesn't work...it sags in the middle and just looks odd.

Oh! Love this thread! I am 5'6" and quite top heavy, my measurements are 34d-26-36.....my 3 favorite bags on me are the city, the day, and the courier. I can wear the city by the handles or strap on the arm and also across my body ( which I prefer bc it hits me high hip). I really love and want the courier because it fits me sooo well, its not too big looking since my chest is large and look great slung cross body and hits my hip perfectly.

I know for sure the first bags looks too small on me, especially if held in the crook of the arm...it looks very disporportionate.

Bigger bags look best when handheld because they balance out my top half.

I'm 5'8" and pear-shaped. The City looks good on me. The only other style I have to compare it to is the Purse. I bought one, but did not like how it looked on me. It looked giganto on me. So for those of you who are shorter, I'm thinking the purse may really look giganto on you.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! I LOVE THE PURSE, I AM 5'10 AND MEDIUM BUILD. The first looked like A WALLET ON A STRING! THE CITY IS FINE! Believe it or not, THE WEEKENDER LOOKS HORRIBLE! My opinion, A GIGANTIC GIRL WITH A GIGANTIC BAG = YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I THINK THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO PULL OFF THE WEEKENDER ARE MEDIUM (5'4 TO 5'7) I LOOK LIKE KING KONG CARRYING THE NEW YORK STATE BUILDING!
WHEN YOU ARE MORE PETITE, IT IS A VERY HIP LOOK!

That is my opinion anyway!

fascinating thread! thanks for opening this up...

it seems like us girls that are a little 'shapely' seem to think the day does well with us. i agree. i'm 5'6' and 130 lbs., i'm a size 36c, 30 jeans, and while i'm not exactly top heavy, i am carting around a load up there! haha. i like that the day hugs the side of my body and hits the top of the thigh, anything shorter would feel too revealing. bags with long handles/messengers are also great because they draw attention away from a large bust and toward the hip/ass area.

that said, i am seriously contemplating getting a twiggy, but i've never tried one on, and i'm not sure if one would look good on my body type!
do they come with long handles?

ah. i hope discussing matching b-bag shapes to our body shapes has not opened up an unhealthy mental struggles on body images... perhaps "shape" should be emphasized, and not "weight"...? although one can argue that weight is part of "shape", so it can perhaps be rather tricky for some. but i think the main idea is that an apple shape is an apple shape, hour-glass is hour-glass, pear is pear, no matter what you weigh. if our torso is longer, or if we are all legs, flat chested or top heavy, long or short limbed, then those things will be true no matter what your sizes are... does that make any sense...?

I'm 5'5 and 125 lbs. I'm sort of a medium build, not thin but not large. A size 4 - 6 depending on the designer.

I think the city looks best on me. I love how it looks carried on the crook of my arm - so chic! It also is in proportion to my body.

I love my fbf classique - but in general I think she's too small for my build. I like her more an an evening bag.