'Bad' Meaning 'Good' Movies

1. 'Bad' Meaning 'Good'

EW.com's staff recently confessed the critical duds we secretly love, then invited readers to do the same -- here are the terrible titles most often mentioned on our message boards

I've seen a number of these movies on this list and I've added my own commentary to them.

Showgirls (1995)
    Viva la Nomi! — Yolanda B.
    No actors, no directing, no content, but one of the best movies for drinking games: You're drunk within a few minutes. — Bill
    I still to this day can't look at Kyle MacLachlan (even on Desperate Housewives) without thinking of that horrific haircut. Plus: ''I used to love Doggie Chow!'' — AJ

"Great Dress!"
    "Thanks! It's a Versase!"

The Cutting Edge (1992)
    The first thing I think of when people talk about great bad movies is ''Toe pick.'' [It's got] Terry O'Quinn's acting tour de force as Kate's dad (is that a Lost clue?), and every time D.B. Sweeney throws Moira Kelly into the air in the last scene, I fall in love with them all over again. — Jer
    The Cutting Edge replaced Dirty Dancing as my cheesy go-to movie... My favorite is the oh-so-stereotyped tough Russian coach with ''heart of gold.'' Olympics, hockey, cheesy romance, sappy ending, even the long music montage with D.B. and Moira staring longingly into the rain... Awesome! — Michelle

Hudson Hawk (1991)
    The only reason this movie was trashed by critics and hated by most moviegoers is that it was marketed as a straight action film, when it so clearly is a comedy, and a hilarious one at that! — Snoogins
    Dadaist dream world/heist movie/comedy. Everyone seems to have disowned it, but it's got some brilliant moments and it adds up to a really good movie. Great absurd lines, and some really surreal sight gags... You gotta love a movie that has the villain vs. the CIA vs. the VATICAN vs. the hero... — Patrick
    [A haiku:]
    Hudson Hawk contains
    more cheese than I can handle
    can't change the channel
    — Polporka

Clue (1985)
    I can catch it on cable and immediately watch it again on VHS after the end credits. Best of all, it gave alternate endings ages before it was cool to do on DVD. My sister and I will go so far as to reenact the ''Rrrrrun down the hall with a candlestick'' scene, because Tim Curry will always be Wadsworth to me. — kasper
    So many of the stars went on to do bigger and better things — what? They didn't? Oh. Well, the movie is still awesome. — mike

"Just like the Mounties: We always get our man!"
    "Mrs. Peacock was a man!?!"

Grease 2 (1982)
    Why I was ever allowed to watch this when I was 5 is hilarious. I had such a crush on Maxwell Caulfield! — Kristin
    Every time I tell a friend about Grease 2 they laugh sarcastically and then tell me how misguided I am for not preferring the original. What makes Grease 2 so much better (at least for me)? It's not just that the actors are younger (they are) or that it's put together any more professionally (it is). Or that the songs are funnier, deeper, and more complex (they are). It's the fact that Michelle Pfeiffer has [so much] charm and charisma... — Ben Atwell
    I want a C-o-o-l R-i-d-e-r! — Robin
    Adrian Zmed's falsetto in ''Let's Bowl'' is unstoppable and has a mind of its own! — tamibot5000

My favorite part was the Girl For All Seasons number in the talent show!
    14499__showgirls_l.jpg 14499__edge_l.jpg 15711__hawk_l.jpg 14499__clue_l.jpg 15711__grease2_l.jpg
  2. Mommie Dearest (1981)
    Faye Dunaway was brilliantly demonic, with her eyebrows seemingly ready to take on any war. Besides, as a college sophomore I have a roomie, and since we share a closet, I get to yell at him every so often, ''No... more... wire... HANGERS!'' He has no idea what I'm talking about, because he doesn't know how to appreciate good bad films, the poor guy. — Justin
    Chock-full of some of the most brilliant lines in cinema history. Also, Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford is the Best Drag Queen Performance EVER in a Motion Picture. (She actually was 2nd place at, I believe, the New York Film Critics Awards that year.) It's only when you start to think about how awful this must have all been for poor Christina Crawford (if it really all happened) that you start to feel guilty for the joy you are receiving. My advice: Don't think about it — just get drunk and say every iconic line! — AJ

"Tina! Bring me the axe!"

Center Stage (2000)
    Yes, the actors are real ballet dancers, and thus cannot utter a line without sounding like they've just been handed the script for the first time. But this is also the movie that had an awesome dance sequence to Jamiroquai's ''Canned Heat'' way before Napoleon Dynamite. I was thrilled when a friend gave it to me (as a joke, I think), so I no longer had to show my face renting it from the video store. — Beth
    Awful, formulaic dance drama, but I still love the line ''You didn't have the feet, Mom; I don't have the heart.'' So touching. — Mimi

"I am the best God damned dancer in the American Ballet Academy! Who the hell are you? Nobody!"

The Fifth Element (1997)
    Sure, it's goofy and over-the-top. But it's so beautiful. The special effects are amazing, the aliens look real, there's a blue alien singing opera... plus, a supermodel with Run Lola Run hair and only an Ace bandage to cover her up! — Lisa

Overboard (1987) I love, love, love Overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. I think I cry every time they jump off the boats and swim toward each other at the end. I stop whatever I am doing whenever it is on. — Stephanie

Zoolander (2001)
    I have seen Zoolander roughly 800 times, but it never fails to crack me up — particularly the walk-off scene. — Julia
    Zoolander, oh man... So awful it's brilliant! That gas spraying scene — geez...what was that song that played during that scene when they all exploded? I forget...but I remember it was perfect. — grayson

"Orange Mocha Frappuccinos!"

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)
    That movie made my teenage years and led to many quote-fests among friends. And a desire to find a floofy pink dress to wear pink combat boots with. — Heather
    Maybe it was because I was 9 years old and wanted to be a cheerleader and talk Valley Girl (''Excuse much!''), but I absolutely love how horrible this movie is. With such a big cast — Kristy Swanson, Donald Sutherland, Rutger Hauer, David Arquette, an unknown Hilary Swank, Luke ''Pike's not a name, it's a fish'' Perry, and Pee-Wee Herman(!), how could things go so terribly wrong? — Amber

How funky is your chicken?
    How funky is your chicken?
    How loose is your goose?
    Our goose is totally loose!
    So come on all you Hogs fans,
    So come on all you Hogs fans,
    And shake your caboose!
    And shake your caboose!
    15711__mommie_l.jpg 14499__centerstage_l.jpg 15711__overboard_l.jpg 15711__zoolander_l.jpg 14499__buffy_l.jpg
  3. Other So-Bad-They're-Good Favorites
    My husband and his buddies swear by Big Trouble in Little China [1986]... — Cassy

Who couldn't love Encino Man [1992]? Pauly Shore + Sam the Hobbit + The Mummy Slayer = the most ridiculously plotted, insanely likable high school movie ever. This movie makes me want to stick my head under an Icee machine every time I see it, and I think that's a good thing. — The Boomtown Rat

Jennifer 8 [1992] is a REALLY bad movie in which Uma Thurman is this blind chick in danger of being killed by a serial killer who's targeting — yes — blind chicks. This movie contains the worst final line EVER: ''I remember red.'' And yet. Why do I find myself watching if I catch it on cable? — cbw

I love Spice World [1997], the Spice Girls movie. Yes, it underutilizes Meat Loaf as a bus driver with very few lines, but I watch it for the explosion of girl power alone. Watching this movie makes me long for a reunion. But until then, I'll just dust off my platform shoes and boombox and keep dreaming. — Cassie Belek

"It must be so hard for you, Victoria. I mean, having to decide whether to wear the little Gucci dress, the little Gucci dress, or... the little Gucci dress!"

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure [1985]: ''I'm a loner, Dottie; a rebel.'' I can't get enough. — Anjeliki

"Is this something you can share with the rest of us, Amazing Larry?"

Con Air [1997]. I can recite the whole movie line for line. I even went so far as to put Trisha Yearwood's ''How Do I Live" in my wedding! — amie
    Oh my God. Twister [1996] rocks! When the tornado lifted the cow and carried it away, you had to wonder if it would end up in Oz. Given the stupidity of the movie, I think it might have worked. — bluenote

Girls Just Want to Have Fun [1985]. Starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, and Shannen Doherty(!), it was like a 90-minute commercial for Solid Gold. It also leaves you pondering important questions like: Why did Velcro tear away clothing never catch on? — kreddy

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion [1997] is without a doubt the best ''bad'' movie ever made. Anyone who was marginalized in school can relate, and the throwaway lines are priceless. Maybe it's because I'm a former ''husky'' kid, but to this day when I leave for work in the morning, I take one last look in the mirror and tell my wife, ''I can't believe how cute I look.'' I'm only kinda kidding. — Markus Boos

"I'm the Mary, and you're the Rhoda."

I LOVE the movie Troll [1986]... How can you not love a movie with Julia Louis-Dreyfus prancing around like a woodland fairy and Sonny Bono as a swingin' bachelor? — Lee

Two magical words for you: Teen Witch [1989]. It's a musical, it's a comedy, it's a coming-of-age story about Louise, a girl who is descended from witches. Worst movie ever? Perhaps, but I watch it every single time it's on, I laugh when [Louise's friend] raps ''Top That,'' and I get just a little gay when the cheerleaders sing ''I Like Boys.'' — Mozz

"I'm hot... and you're not... but if you want to get with me I'll give it one shot, TOP THAT!"

I love Billy Madison [1995] — despite being completely out of the target audience (read: adult woman), I crack up anytime I think about that movie. What's not to love? Drunken soup slurping. Nudie Magazine Day. Evil Bradley Whitford! Hallucinatory penguins. Catchphrases galore. Despite the fact that critics hate Adam Sandler with a burning passion, I love this movie, and it routinely makes my top five picks for if I got stuck on a deserted island. — Eliza Doolittle

"Soo hot! Want to touch the heinie!"