Bad experience at the Pet Shop!

$1800 for a French Bulldog? My husband's pet shop sells frenchies for $1200 and they come from top pedigree show winners. Not only are they ripping you, they're also selling fakes. Always shop around when looking for dogs. Anyone can get papers.

How does a pet store get puppies from show winners? Serious, reputable breeders who show their dogs in confirmation would never sell their puppies to a pet store, because a pet store can't screen potential buyers to make sure they will give the dog a good home. Sorry, I'm just really passionate about dogs and despise pet stores since they all get their dogs from either backyard breeders or puppy mills. Some people think that buying a dog there won't make a difference, because they all "need homes," but what these people don't see is what goes on behind the scenes. Sure, you may get lucky and end up with a healthy dog that won't have serious health problems that show up down the road, but what about the parents of your dog? They're kept in tiny, filthy cages and the *****es are bred over and over again (which is really painful and unhealthy for them). They get virtually no human contact, and they're kept alive only so that they can breed more puppies to be sold. It's just pitiful and horrible, and the more puppies people buy from the pet store, the more money the puppy mills get to keep their filthy business' running. It really breaks my heart.

How does a pet store get puppies from show winners? Serious, reputable breeders who show their dogs in confirmation would never sell their puppies to a pet store, because a pet store can't screen potential buyers to make sure they will give the dog a good home. Sorry, I'm just really passionate about dogs and despise pet stores since they all get their dogs from either backyard breeders or puppy mills. Some people think that buying a dog there won't make a difference, because they all "need homes," but what these people don't see is what goes on behind the scenes. Sure, you may get lucky and end up with a healthy dog that won't have serious health problems that show up down the road, but what about the parents of your dog? They're kept in tiny, filthy cages and the *****es are bred over and over again (which is really painful and unhealthy for them). They get virtually no human contact, and they're kept alive only so that they can breed more puppies to be sold. It's just pitiful and horrible, and the more puppies people buy from the pet store, the more money the puppy mills get to keep their filthy business' running. It really breaks my heart.
user_offline.gif

agreed! please steer clear of petshops.

agreed! please steer clear of petshops.
Agreed again.

Maybe you could find the dog you're looking for who already needs a loving home on petfinder.com?

I found my purebred GSD that way.

I know this is a purse forum and not a pet forum, sorry. I'm just a huge advocate for pet rescue.

Good luck with your new addition.

I am sorry, but please do not buy a dog from a pet shop. I am a strong advocate for buying from reputable breeders or adopting from a pound. No responsible breeders would sell their dogs to a pet shop. I own a couple of pet boutiques as an investment but mainly to educate people to steer well away from buying pets from a pet shop. Generally once people find out why, they are very receptive.

not all pet shops carry puppy mill dogs. Friends of my family live in NH and their local pet shop has puppies that come from breeders in the area, or families whose dogs have given birth and they dont know what to do with them all. While the vast majority of the chain stores do carry puppy mill dogs, it isnt fair to make a generalization that all pet stores carry puppy mill dogs. Its unfair and untrue. For myself, I got my dog from an animal shelter. Border collie/ German shepherd mix and quite possibly the most beautiful dog i have ever seen. sweetest disposition and really smart. She may not be AKC but she's she's best in show to me!

First of all, I was a breeder of champion collies. I know from the inside and first hand experience that pet shop dogs mostly come from puppy mills and have faked papers. A collie puppy I once saw in a store had papers from a breeder that I knew personally and would NEVER sell to a pet store. A friend of mine does raise another breed in small quantities in her home with the utmost care and concern. She sold a puppy to a pet store for $300 and they sold it within one hour for $800. I also know from personal experience that some professional breeders keep their dogs in the filthiest of conditions beyond belief. One time I counted 76 dogs at a breeders. Which is the mill?

Do your homework. Visit the home of the dog and check on parents and conditions. A dog is a wonderful companion and deserves the best of treatment and commitment of time from you. The outside of a dog is good for the inside of a person...

Your first mistake is going to a pet store to look for a puppy. they puppies that come from puppy mills.

I would suggest if you're in the market for a puppy you do some serious research first, check dog breeder annual and the internet for breeders in your area. Check out the breeder / the issues the dog as that you are looking for*they all have them* and the go there* to the breeder* and see the living conditions of these dogs.. before buying.

Good luck finding a good puppy.
how did I not see this. NOT TRUE NOT TRUE NOT TRUE! My DH's pet store only gets puppies from local breeders. Not puppy mills. Some do get them that way, usually major chain stores like Pets Mart and Feeders Supply. You need to check the references and ask to see the parents. If they are legit, they will give you the number and the location of the breeder.

Please don't spit out stuff you know nothing about. That's how rumors get started, and PETA is a huge problem.

how did I not see this. NOT TRUE NOT TRUE NOT TRUE! My DH's pet store only gets puppies from local breeders. Not puppy mills. Some do get them that way, usually major chain stores like Pets Mart and Feeders Supply. You need to check the references and ask to see the parents. If they are legit, they will give you the number and the location of the breeder.

Please don't spit out stuff you know nothing about. That's how rumors get started, and PETA is a huge problem.

Local breeders = backyard breeders who know very little about dogs and breed their animals purely for monetary gain. The fact that pet stores do not get their animals from reputable breeders is not a "rumor," it's the truth. No responsible breeder would ever sell their puppies to some random pet store where any person can walk off the street and take them home. It's a complete and total lie to tell people "oh we get our animals from good breeders," because the dogs come from ignorant people who happend to have a male and female purebred (that came from pet stores, and thus probably puppy mills themselves) and decided to mate them. The parents are not health certified, have no champion bloodlines, and will most likely have breed-related health problems down the line (since their lineage hasn't been verified or controlled). There is nothing good about pet stores, they lie to people and heavily contribute to the pet overpopulation problem.

Local breeders = backyard breeders who know very little about dogs and breed their animals purely for monetary gain. The fact that pet stores do not get their animals from reputable breeders is not a "rumor," it's the truth. No responsible breeder would ever sell their puppies to some random pet store where any person can walk off the street and take them home. It's a complete and total lie to tell people "oh we get our animals from good breeders," because the dogs come from ignorant people who happend to have a male and female purebred (that came from pet stores, and thus probably puppy mills themselves) and decided to mate them. The parents are not health certified, have no champion bloodlines, and will most likely have breed-related health problems down the line (since their lineage hasn't been verified or controlled). There is nothing good about pet stores, they lie to people and heavily contribute to the pet overpopulation problem.
WTF are you talking about? Local breeders are not all backyard ignorant bums. So are you assuming we buy our dogs from frauds? Are we liars and crooks? I think you need to stop being a dog snob and open your eyes. Not all pet stores are that way. that's why you should check before hand. We have papers, we have our own personal vet check them all. We get each breed from the same parents each time, unless the dog is in high demand like a Chi.

WTF are you talking about? Local breeders are not all backyard ignorant bums. So are you assuming we buy our dogs from frauds? Are we liars and crooks? I think you need to stop being a dog snob and open your eyes. Not all pet stores are that way. that's why you should check before hand. We have papers, we have our own personal vet check them all. We get each breed from the same parents each time, unless the dog is in high demand like a Chi.

Caring about the welfare of animals is not being a "dog snob." I've been involved with the AKC my entire life, and I know that reputable breeders do not sell their dogs to pet stores, where they can be bought just as easily as chewing gum. The problem with purebreds is that they started as inbreds, and so each breed has developed specific health problems that reputable breeders have selectively bred out of their dogs. How many of your local breeders can trace their animals' lines back 6 generations, and prove that in those generations, not one animal ever developed hip dysplasia, or diabetes or blindness? I gurantee you they can't, because the only people who can are reputable breeders, and would never hand their dogs over to pet stores.

Caring about the welfare of animals is not being a "dog snob." I've been involved with the AKC my entire life, and I know that reputable breeders do not sell their dogs to pet stores, where they can be bought just as easily as chewing gum. The problem with purebreds is that they started as inbreds, and so each breed has developed specific health problems that reputable breeders have selectively bred out of their dogs. How many of your local breeders can trace their animals' lines back 6 generations, and prove that in those generations, not one animal ever developed hip dysplasia, or diabetes or blindness? I gurantee you they can't, because the only people who can are reputable breeders, and would never hand their dogs over to pet stores.
so you're saying, because I don't buy from the people YOU know, we're buying inbred sick dogs? Around here, you can't really sell a "fancy" dog anywhere but a pet store or in the news paper. People don't go out of their way to the Eukanuba show to get their dogs. We actually have been getting our Chis, Schnauzers, and Dachshunds for over 6 years from the same breeders. No sick dogs. All of our dogs are AKC registered.