Background Checks !!

1. My situation is, were lucky to have the same people working for us that have been with us for many years in our household and business's.
    If the time came for us to rehire, without a doubt I would have a background check on the applicant.

If you were to hire someone for your household or business would you insist on doing a background check ?

Do you think it is an invasion of privacy ?

Would you hire a third party to do the background check or would you do it yourself with the resources available ?

2. No, it's NOT an invasion of privacy IMO.
    We have a Nanny and I absolutely did a full background check on her, reference check on her business and personal.
    It's easier to hire it out IMO.

3. I don't see it as an invasion of privacy. You gotta do it. Some people change but some people don't. You might not want to hire a person with something showing up on their background check or if something did, it might not be applicable at all to the position you are hiring them for.

4. Yeah, you basically have to do it. You never know what a person could be hiding.

5. If it were my business and I was hiring someone, yes, I would do it. You never know if you would possibly put your business (and yourself) in jeopardy by hiring the wrong person.

I have signed agreements to background checks for jobs before, and I have never questioned it. I don't find it an invasion of privacy - instead, I see it as my potential employer looking out for the business and the welfare of the other employees.

6. It's not an invasion of privacy, in my opinion and I'd definitively do it. There are companies that specialize in performing such checks, so I'd use one of those for sure (if you do it yourself, you run the risk of missing something!!)

7. Unfortunately in this day and age it is necessary for the safety of your family and business to do background checks.

8. I don't see a problem with that, honest applicants shouldn't either. I'm applying for some jobs that involve working with children, and I think this is absolutely necessary, after all, it's children and you're going to be in a position where you're in a position of authority and you'd want someone who doesn't have previous offenses to be in charge of your children !

9. I would do a background check, especially if that person will be going into my house.. my goodness, all the horror stories I have heard about hired help who stole from the ppl who hired them...

10. Not an invasion of privacy - inviting someone into your business and or home is akin to bringing them into your private life; therefore, before you open your door you need to open theirs.

11. agree!

12. A background check can be done on anyone you hire as long as you hand them an application letting them know you are doing one. The applicant needs to sign it. After an incident between a patient and employee I recommend them!

13. There are a lot of companies these days that do backround checks and drug tests before hiring. Check www.concentra.com they will do pre-employment drug screenings for you. I used to work for Concentra, that's how I know this.
    I think they are not an invasion of privacy, however, you should not hold a minor charge that is 10 years old against someone. I have seen good people with educations get turned away for that. Backround checks seem to be the norm in Philadelphia.
    I believe all this started with Enron, because now companies are legally held responsible for the actions of their employees.

14. I whole heartedly would run background checks! There is no expectation of privacy when you are asking to be hired and trusted by a company/home. My philosophy is - if you don't like, look for a job somewhere else!

15. We always do when we are hiring staff for our businesses. Luckily our housekeeper also works for us in the hotels as well and she has been with us forever. I plan on having a nanny when we finally have a baby (before its too late for me!) and I will for sure do every check possible on her. I think its important. (in both work and home)