Baby That Died In 1925 Finally Gets A Final Resting Place

1. Friday October 12, 2007 Staff
    He was Toronto's most unknown victim and he died before he'd even really lived. A ceremony was held at Elgin Mills Cemetery Friday to finally lay to rest a child found entombed in a home near Queen and Broadview last July.
    A contractor was working on an old house on Kintyre Ave. when he came across something secreted behind two walls. "You could see his skin and toes and his head," Bob Kinghorn recalled about his gruesome discovery. "I didn't turn it over to see the face. I saw the hands and counted the fingers and said a prayer and came home."
    "A hell of a way for a baby to have to go. No funeral, you know."
    But that last sad pronouncement changed thanks to the Canadian Centre for Abuse Awareness, which fronted the solemn ceremony Friday morning. The idea for the final service came from executive director Ellen Campbell, who became obsessed with the number of unclaimed children who never received a final resting place. She established the Huggum's Hope Memorial Program to ensure all future victims always have a dignified farewell, even if they're unknown or abandoned.
    The child was discovered with his umbilical cord still attached and was wrapped in a newspaper dated 1925. An autopsy revealed the youngster was either stillborn or died soon after birth and for reasons lost to history, his parents decided not to seek medical help or inform authorities.
    The child now has a name: Baby Kintyre, chosen by Kinghorn after the home where he was found. The child wasn't the only one laid to rest during the service. Another infant, known as Baby Leif, was found in a remote area near North Bay.
    The Centre's John Muise tells at least one or two such cases come up in Ontario every year and more surface around the country. The Elgin Mills section will remain open to those who never had a chance at life - but will now never be abandoned in death.

2. That is very sad
  3. :crybaby: I have to go cry now.
  4. So sad!
  5. It is sad. At the same time it's wonderful that this baby got the respect and dignity he deserved.

I think that's why I posted it. I didn't do it just to bum everyone out.

The Simple Alternative Funeral Centre provided the secular memorial service and the Elgin Mills Cemetery provided nine plots and a permanent monument where the names of all the abandoned children will be inscribed.
    Campbell estimates at least two or three babies are abandoned every year in Ontario. The CCAA would like to prevent such deaths by providing women an alternative, such as safe haven laws seen in the U.S.
    "Really we would like to try and set something up, like they have in Europe, where there is a place for a woman that's in distress can come and drop the baby off, no questions asked," Campbell said.
    "Perhaps we might be able to save one or two of these little ones."
    While the Huggum's Hope Memorial program is based out of Ontario, Campbell said she hopes the CCAA will soon be accepting unclaimed babies from across the country.
    "We'd be delighted. It's a privilege to be able to do this for these little ones," Campbell said.
    Child abandonment is considered a criminal offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.
    Anyone found guilty of unlawfully abandoning or exposing a child who is under 10 years of age to danger is liable to a two-year prison sentence.

Part of me thinks that people who abandon children get a two year prison sentence is a mispring.

If a Baby Safe Haven program comes into fruition because of this then this tragedy wouldn't have been in vain.
  6. Dear God!
  7. wow
  8. May his soul rest in peace.
  9. That is sooooooo horrible!! At least it doesn't sound like murder, the parents must have been so sad and confused. Can't they look up who owned the house in 1925 and find the parents to question them?

10. I agree, they should look into this. To me there is absolutly no reason in earth to motivate ANY confused, sad, parent to bury a baby behind a fu***ng wall. How could you even think of that. Whoever did should pay for this, if they havent done yet. I just hope the baby was dead before he was put there and didnt die of asphyxiation.
  11. I think the parents would be dead by now, considering that it was 82 years ago.

On another note, this story makes me very sad.
  12. What a sad tragic story. Perhaps the death with accidental or natural, but the gruesome burial (or lack thereof) is disturbing.

Thanks for posting this. I live in Toronto, too and it's always fascinating to read stories of the city.
  13. I remember reading this and thinking thank goodness they found him. It's about time.
  14. How can the parents just wrap up their child in newspaper like that? That's so sad.
  15. It's good that people made the effort to properly bury these babies. RIP

I can't even imagine how people thought in 1925.