Babies and pacifiers

1. I am very curious to know about why parents use pacifiers.

I come from a country where use of pacifiers is NOT the norm. In fact mothers are often discouraged from using them in my culture. In my country breast feeding is an absolute norm and mothers are instructed to breastfeed exclusively (since there is compulsory maternity leave for 4 months), and mothers usually breastfeed for a year minimum. I've never actually seen a baby with a pacifier back home.

After I came to the US I see lots of babies with pacifiers...why do you use them? Is it to stop babies crying? does it ever cause crooked teeth or overbite?
  2. Research shows that babies actually like up to 16 hours a day of suckling, this is why babies resort to thumb sucking.
    {I am writing this from memory, I can be off a little}.
    Since most Mom's don't want to nurse that many hours, they often use pacifiers. Sometimes babies cry not because they're hungry but they need to suck.
    I know a lot of other countries use them as well, I'm on an Oilily eBay board and the Mom's there have discussed this, some Moms from France and the Netherlands on that board, thaey call them soothers{ies} I think{?}
    Also, some Moms prefer a baby to suck a pacifier as opposed to a thumb because it can be such a difficult habit to break.
    You can take a paci away, but not their thumb!

It's not that common for their to be speech delays or teeth problems.
    Thumb suckers actually have slightly more overbite problems.
  3. It's thumb-sucking that causes the teeth to form incorrectly, not pacifiers. If you look at a pacifier (most, anyway) the part that fits between the front gums is actually quite thin.

I am one of those people who hates the sight of a child over, let's say - 18 mos with a pacifier in their mouth. Children 3 or above - eegads!! I tried like heck to get my babies to use them - if only so they could soothe themselves to sleep. But as it turned out - none grew very attached to them. And I was thankful for that when they got to the age where they wouldn't have needed them anymore b/c I know so many people who have had a hell of a time weaning their babies off of them.
  4. In Australia, we call them dummies.

I don't have kids, all I can comment on is my friends experience - she has two girls, her first one she returned to work soon after her birth, so she was not breastfeed for very long, and used a dummy. 2nd one was breastfeed until about 1 year, or a bit less, and was never given a dummy.

I really can't comment on the outcome in terms of teeth etc, because I don't know - all I know is that it took a big effort to get her first child to stop using a dummy.

My brother I think was one of those kids who didn't give it up - he was about 4 and I think still used one, (which I personally think is a big no-no), but that could have been psychological - I was younger, so he saw me having one and wanted one.
  5. I think they're called that in the UK as well... I once had a conversation w/ a woman from the UK who was telling me this long winded story about how her daughter had to go to sleep with a dummy. In Canada - a dummy is, well - it's like a mannequin. So all through her story I had this vision of her daughter sleeping in a bed with a mannequin. It was quite a disturbing image - I didn't have the guts to ask her "WTH?" :roflmfao:
  6. I've read that use of a pacifier may result in fewer ear infections; I don't recall why, but I assume the sucking affects the inner ear somehow.

Both of my sons refused pacifiers and sucked their thumbs. One stopped on his own, the other didn't stop until he started school. I do believe it affected his teeth; he had braces to straighten them.
  7. YES DUMMIES!! I couldn't remember the name! There is a UK pacifier brand called Soothie, they used them in our hospital NICU.
  8. I live in Canada, I have never hear them call it a dummy?:confused1: They call it a soother.
  9. Yes, exactly - soothers. :yes: That's why I was thrown when this UK woman was talking about her little girl sleeping with a "dummy".
  10. Yes in the UK they are usually referred to as dummies. A mannequin is also called a dummy.
  11. Soothers are ok for babies in their first year because it helps them calm down. My kids weren't reliant on them but sometimes when they acted up I shoved these things in their mouths and instant silence! OK, maybe soothers are more for the parents!
  12. i don't think most people realize just how hard a thumbsucking habit can be to break unless they've had to break one. my old orthodontist says it's not unusual for his patients to have issues all the way through highschool sometimes. if your child uses a pacifier even if they don't want to give it up, all you have to do is poke a hole in the rubber part and it's not as satifying to suck on....they'll usually give it up themselves if you do that. there's not really much you can do for finger sucking. believe me, my mom tried. :smile:

also like swanky said, thumb sucking causes all kinds of speech and teeth problems. pacifiers are designed to fit mouths as they are naturally....thumb/fingersucking makes your mouth form around the thumb. for example, the roof of most people's mouth is slightly and uniformly curved. i sucked my thumb and forefinger all through childhood so the roof of mine is flat on one side where my thumb rested and highly curved on the other where the joint and fingertip of my forefinger was. my teeth were a MESS. there was a definate hole in my bite where my finger sat every night. i spent seven years in braces and to this day have a kids will NEVER suck their thumbs if i can help it. binkies go in on the first day. :smile:
  13. My dd is 19 months old, and uses a binki, and she still nurses... so it's not about not wanting to nurse... you just can't do it all the time!
    I'd like to break her of this habit soon... along with stopping nursing (mama is tired!) but, one at a time... I'm going to try to stop nuring first, then get rid of the binki once she's adjusted to not nursing. I just don't like the idea of her being three and still running around with the binki!

but, boy is she attached!
  14. Swanky said in her first post all that I've read as well...from what I can remember. (I breast fed all nipple confusion or anything)

I have 3 kids...all had different 'sucking needs'. THe first one liked his binkies, but taking them away was a piece of cake. I did it around the 1st bday.

Second child sucked his fingers and just stopped one day.

Third (my baby so of course...) just turned 2 and still uses a binky. And...I don't care...she's my 3rd! ha!
  15. I do use a pacifier with Julia and we also breastfeed exclusively with no nipple confustion problems or anything.

Swanky summed it up pretty well. I would much rather have my baby sucking on a pacifier than her thumb. When she cries, the first thing I go for is the breast - not the passy.