AVON bluntly copied Rebecca Minkoff's MAC

My friend emailed me a photo from AVON's catalog featuring their new handbag. What do you think?

You know you've made it as a designer when you have other people duplicating your handbags.
I've seen quite a few boutiques copy the mini mac. For me, I don't mind it but I'm guessing that would hurt RM sales since there are cheaper options of her bag floating around.

It's a bit funny to me that another brand would copy an RM design. I passed by the RM section at Bloomies yesterday and so many inspired designs! Chanel classic/boy, Balenciaga City, Givenchy Antigona, Chloe Drew, Hermes Evelyn...

It's great that she is providing a similar look for less (heck I am getting the Love in mermaid hardware bc I didn't want to pay $5k+ for a Chanel in a trendy style), but it's a bit off-putting to me to have sooo many lookalikes of high end labels' most popular designs. It's like another Michael Kors. Do they make their own original designs anymore?

Last edited:
It's a bit funny to me that another brand would copy an RM design. I passed by the RM section at Bloomies yesterday and so many inspired designs! Chanel classic/boy, Balenciaga City, Givenchy Antigona, Chloe Drew, Hermes Evelyn...

It's great that she is providing a similar look for less (heck I am getting the Love in mermaid hardware bc I didn't want to pay $5k+ for a Chanel in a trendy style), but it's a bit off-putting to me to have sooo many lookalikes of high end labels' most popular designs. It's like another Michael Kors. Do they make their own original designs anymore?

I saw a copy of Gucci's Lady Web on their website, disappointing for sure. I guess this is the cost of growth for a contemporary brand. It's sad because the hard core Minkettes have all moved on because the brand isn't what it was.

Reactions: finer_woman
I saw a copy of Gucci's Lady Web on their website, disappointing for sure. I guess this is the cost of growth for a contemporary brand. It's sad because the hard core Minkettes have all moved on because the brand isn't what it was.

Even sadly the iridescent Love I got didn't meet expectations and will be going back. I think there's something about it wanting to quench my desire for the real thing but it feels like a cheap imitation to my Chanels. Sorry to anyone who does enjoy it! It is just not my cup of tea.

I think it is great for people who want a certain look without the high cost or even independently enjoying the design without knowing the inspiration. But if you know the original well, it's hard to compare.