Authenticate This Kooba

So many forums to choose from! I hope that THIS is the right one!

I bought (on ebay) a Kooba Sienna bag Friday night
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...D%26fvi%3 D1).
I am going to pay w/a MO which I was going to send out today. This is what I believe to be an older Sienna bag, made with brown canvas signature lining. The color is "luggage" which I remember as an orig color (& the one I always wanted!). I really believed this bag was authentic, until I got a PM telling me it might be fake (as well as a few questionable posts).

I was looking at this bag a while ago, as well as another (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9696%26fvi%3D1)
I have always wanted an original Sienna bag - one made BEFORE they came out w/the suede linings.

I emailed christid2303, who maintains a Guide on ebay about fake Kooba bags. I was pretty certain the bag with the brown lining (the one I bought) was authentic, becuz (1) I remember the Luggage color as it's the one I always wanted, and (2) I remember the brown canvas signature lining. Altho I knew that the earlier bags were lined w/canvas instead of suede, and I do remember that white lining from other Kooba bags, I couldn't remember whether or not the Sienna was ever made with that lining. I also wasn't sure about the zipper (it's plastic on the white lined bag, instead of metal) and the end ties don't look braided to me. So I emailed ChristiD

When ChristiD replied, she said she wasn't sure at first, but thought that both of them were authentic, as she can't recall many fakes with the canvas linings. This is what I thought too. I also checked the posts at TPF, and from what I could gather from other posts, it didn't seem that there were too many fakes made with the canvas linings (plus, the older bags were made with smooth leather, as this bag is).

I did email the seller and asked about where she bought the bag, when, etc. She said the bag was a gift from her husband, but she had already bought herself one (I know that this is standard "fake" fare, but....). She also said that the tag on the inside pocket is Kitson, and it says $595 (which I do believe was the original price). She also told me that Kooba is embossed on the side of the bag instead of the metal plate (also true of older Sienna bags). In her description, she also refers to the tag, including the style number & color, which many tags usually do.

I have NOT paid for this bag yet. I am sending her a MO, which I was going to do today. If any of you have some other info, indicating why you know this bag is NOT authentic, pls let me know before I send her the money. My gut says it's real, but not knowing enough about Kooba bags, I need to rely on the "experts" since some questions have been raised.

I'm really no expert, but the white string was the thing that threw me off. Some people are saying she might have reattached it, but why go through such effort to make it look real, unless it was indeed fake? That whole "got it as a gift" excuse sounds shady as well. I just think that with such low feedback I just wouldn't take the chance.

Is there a way to get her to authenticate the bag beforehand since she doesn't sound that sure?

Oh jeez! I didn't even think of this until Rosepetals post in the other thread (all these threads are getting confusing) - but DO NOT under any circumstances, send this woman a money order. You will have no recourse if it turns out to be fake, and you will not get your money back. I see that paypal IS an option. Did the woman ask you for a money order or was that your doing? This is a very dangerous way to send money.

I don't have a paypal a/c - dont use credit cards. I have been buying handbags on ebay for several years now, including a couple Balenciagas and a TON of Marc Jacobs - all of which were paid for MOs. The seller did NOT ask me to send a MO. That's how I pay.

I know that you are all trying to be helpful, but is it possible that there is a little over-reaction here? Does anything on the bag scream out fake?

I checked out most of the details that are mentioned on the forum. The lining is the canvas brown signature, which was used during the first season of Sienna bags. Has anyone ever seen a fake Sienna bag with the brown canvas linings? The color is Luggage, which WAS an authentic Kooba color. That is the color that I wanted. It was a popular color, and was one that sold out quickly. Kooba is also embossed on the side of the bag. The older bags did not have metal plates like the newer ones do, they were embossed on the side. The end ties are braided, the inner zipper is metal with leather trim. The leather is smooth, not pebbled, and appears to have the texture & appearance of authentic leather used on these bags.

Does anyone recall the earlier fake Kooba bags? They were not as "well made" as they are now. It was a little easier to tell a fake from an authentic one back then. Since this bag is lined w/canvas and not suede, if it were a fake, I don't think the quality would so closely resemble an authentic Kooba.

She also refers to the style number, color & price - all of which are correct for an early Sienna bag.

I know you are all trying to help, and I do want to be careful, but is isn't there a chance that becuz this bag is so rare, there's a little over-reaction? (I mean, how many first season Sienna bags show up on ebay, and how often?)

The confusion was that you posted a link to an closed auction with 0 bids, which you then stated you were paying by m/o. We weren't overracting, but worried that you would lose your money IF it was fake.

You sound convinced; it's a beautiful bag, go for it!

The confusion was that you posted a link to an closed auction with 0 bids, which you then stated you were paying by m/o. We weren't overracting, but worried that you would lose your money IF it was fake.

You sound convinced; it's a beautiful bag, go for it!

Thank you - I was pretty certain. I posted the correct link originally, but then I got a PM and a few posts about it - which got me doubting & wondering. I guess the closed link got posted when I was referring to my original question to ChritiD (she maintains a Kooba guide on ebay). I originally sent her that link, cuz it was ended at the time. The seller relisted last week, and I bought it on Fri.

I know everyone's trying to be helpful, but sometimes I think people panic when they don't know for sure. I know I've seen it lots of times w/MJ bags. Esp w/older bags that maybe haven't been seen in a while, when in fact, I think the opposite is true. I think you're better off w/an older bag, as the chances of it being fake are less than the newer, highly fakes bags.

There are things we want to see to be CERTAIN, as if we tell you to go for it and you do and it is a fake, shame on us. Sometimes as has been mentioned before you can't be certain until you have it in your hands so you do have to be careful with ebay. If you feel confident in your purchase then that's all that matters. I think it does look very good, for absolute reassurance I would ask to see tag and zipper, but other than that she looks a-ok.

Anyone have any thoughts on the authenticity of this Black Sienna?
The reason Im suspicious is because the seller said that she used it at least twice but the tag is still on and its one of those plastic type ones, by the looks of it. I wouldnt usually keep a tag on my bag if I intended to keep it, epscially after taking it out at least twice?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KOOBA-SIENNA-...9QQihZ020QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you - I was pretty certain. I posted the correct link originally, but then I got a PM and a few posts about it - which got me doubting & wondering. I guess the closed link got posted when I was referring to my original question to ChritiD (she maintains a Kooba guide on ebay). I originally sent her that link, cuz it was ended at the time. The seller relisted last week, and I bought it on Fri.

I know everyone's trying to be helpful, but sometimes I think people panic when they don't know for sure. I know I've seen it lots of times w/MJ bags. Esp w/older bags that maybe haven't been seen in a while, when in fact, I think the opposite is true. I think you're better off w/an older bag, as the chances of it being fake are less than the newer, highly fakes bags.

Everyone is overly cautious because Ebay is Kooba's playground of Fakes. It's real sad. I am very interested in this bag. Like I said in a former post, the leather looks good but there are blatant "red flags". She doesn't show inside zippers or side logos, the white string, lack of description, and her feedback. With low feedback we have No trackrecord of her reputation. So right with those signs I would have scratched this one off my list.

I knew that Kooba used to stamp their logos. I just had thought by the time the Sienna surfaced that it was using gold plaques excusively. What year and season is this bag? If it's one of the first Siennas that would tell me when the Sienna first hit the shelves.

Good luck. I hope that Kitson tag is good and you get yourself a wonderful early Sienna. We don't mean to give you a hard time. We just want to make sure you get what you pay for and no money goes into the counterfeit maker's hands.

thank you all for your thoughts. The seller is very nice - she doesn't make it habit to sell handbags, just things she no longer needs and wishes to list on ebay. She appears to be very honest & genuine. She swears the bag is authentic - I believe that if for some reason it ends up being fake, I don't think she'd give me a hard time about returning (she does state that she guarantees its authenticity, and repeated this in her emails to me) - I also include a statement on the reverse side of my MOs stating that by endorsing the MO, the seller agrees to send me an authentic [designer/style name] handbag. This way, if it does turn out to be fake, I have her signature on the MO, which becomes a legal document [once it passes through the US Treasury]. (In all honesty, many of your fears of buying from lower FB sellers have contrinuted to my getting some really, really good deals on ebay!!!!)

When I receive the bag I will check it out & post pics if I am unsure of anything - This way, I can take care of it immediately. As I said in an earlier post, I have more faith in older bags because I don't think they were reproduced as often or as well. I know the early Siennas were lined w/canvas and that Luggage was definitely an authentic color. The details do seem to match up & the leather looks as if it's authentic quaility - I think the earlier fake Kooba bags screamed fake, and I don't think they were copied as well as the fake bags of today. You are all right, tho, I don't believe I would ever buy a current Kooba Sienna bag on ebay unless I knew the seller - the bags today are being reproduced much too well - I know how many buyers have been duped into buying fake MJ bags becuz the quality of fakes are so close to authentic (in fact, many fake bags are in fact authentic bags that were meant to be disposed by the company due to minor flaws but were instead snuck out the back door and sold on the black market - this has been discussed many, many times on ebay's discussion boards - I even posted an article about this a wile back).

So again, I do appreciate your input & I am NOT purposely ignoring your advice - I'm just trying to have faith in my seller & my judgment - If either end up being wrong, I will be the FIRST to admit it!