At what age can you guesstimate a puppy's adult size?

1. Any tips or hints? Just curious.. I've heard of several "theorys". At what age does a dog reach it's adult size/weight? We've been guessing with our puppy. He is 6 pounds & 4 months old now. He wasn't expected to get much bigger than 9-10lbs as an adult though.
  2. I think a puppy probably reaches his adult size by about one year. Then for the next year or so, he'll fill out some. At least that's been my experience. As for the final size, I don't know at all. So many people say that if a puppy has big paws he'll be a big dog, but I don't know if that's true or not. Do you know what breed (s) his parents are?

And..... congratulations on your puppy!

3. Thanks! Bentley is a purebreed Shih Tzu. His parents were both "small standards" so the breeder told me to expect him to be on the small size. He's gained a pound every 4 weeks since we've had him. I'm new with this dog stuff so I don't know what's the norm :shame:
  4. Oh, I bet he makes a wonderful companion for you! If he does stay on the small side, that would make it so much easier to carry him around and they make the cutest clothes for the little pups. On the other hand, if he does get a little bigger, he can walk further and you don't have to carry him as much. LOL! Either way, you win!:yes:
  5. I think it depends on the breed. With my chi he seems to have stopped growing and he is 8 months. He has been about the same size since about 6 months of age. I don't know anything about Shih Tzu's though. Congrats on the puppy.

6. I don't think the 10 mark is too far off. If he's smaller. I usually see Tzus, mine and others, hit the 12ish-15 mark. So, I could see him staying within the 10-12 range personally. I can usually tell by 3-4 months how big they can be, but there other factors (their line, ect) and sometimes some dogs just end up smaller or bigger than exspected.
  7. I've heard most dogs will be close to their adult size at eight months. They will continue to fill out after this, though.

From what I remember, our dogs were all close to full size at eight months.