Ask Charles!

Actually, yes ;)

However, I have no formal education in writing/journalism, nor do I have a degree in Psychology/Psychiatry. So, I have doubts that a column would go over well.
I am contemplating going back to school for it, so we'll see.

Huh? :smile:

The truth? Cause we probably don't care about what you're saying. Sorry.

Women tend to talk...A LOT, and at some point, we just turn off. All the details don't interest us that much. If you want him to listen to something, make it short and sweet.
Aaahh, thanks!

I have another question!

What's the deal with men being obsessed with blondes? Do they always prefer blonde over brunette? Even if it's a trashy, fake blonde vs a gorgeous natural brunette (or red head).

^I want to hear Charles' answer, but mine is - it depends on the guy.
My guy prefers brunettes; he says they turn his head more :queen:

Charles,

My DH is giving me a Kindle for my birthday and we can't decide on which would best fit my lifestyle.

I would primarily use the kindle at lunch time--I eat at a lot of lunch counters--and during the weekends at home or at the beach. Are they even safe for the beach?

I like the size of the 8" x 5" Kindle, but feel the Kindle DX might be easier to read as you get a few paragraphs per page instead of one or two. Storage isn't a concern, as I can't imagine reading more than 1,500 books during the lifespan of a modern piece of technology.

I've read that the Kindle DX has a few additional options:
- Is rotating display important? What would be the benefit of rotating display?
- Kindle DX pages turn quicker, but I'm not sure if that's been fixed in the new generation of the smaller version.

Thoughts?

Today I took myself out to lunch and my server had 3 tables (me included). She was wonderful and very attentive, brought my beverage and appetizer and bread, etc. But a different server brought my entree (I'm assuming my server had to use the restroom or was on the phone or whatever...). After that, my original server took over again and helped me out for the rest of the meal. My stupid question is this (cause this has happened to me before and I've never known the ettiquette), am I supposed to also tip the second server who helped my server out? I tipped mine just a little extra in case this was expected. I know you've waited tables but would like to hear from others who have waited too...

No. The second server is either another server helping out or a runner. Typically, they all split tips at the end of the night in some form or fashion. It's just what servers do...they help each other out and they don't look for an extra tip. You got my, back, I'll get your back kind of thing.

However, an extra tip isn't looked down upon :smile:

I have another question!

What's the deal with men being obsessed with blondes? Do they always prefer blonde over brunette? Even if it's a trashy, fake blonde vs a gorgeous natural brunette (or red head).

I don't know. I've never been attracted to blondes. I'd date a blonde, but it's not as if I go searching them out, and I've not noticed any special "powers" that blondes have. Honestly, I tend to stay away from obviously fake blondes...and most bleached blondes are easy to spot.

Charles,

My DH is giving me a Kindle for my birthday and we can't decide on which would best fit my lifestyle.

I would primarily use the kindle at lunch time--I eat at a lot of lunch counters--and during the weekends at home or at the beach. Are they even safe for the beach?

I like the size of the 8" x 5" Kindle, but feel the Kindle DX might be easier to read as you get a few paragraphs per page instead of one or two. Storage isn't a concern, as I can't imagine reading more than 1,500 books during the lifespan of a modern piece of technology.

- Kindle DX pages turn quicker, but I'm not sure if that's been fixed in the new generation of the smaller version.

Thoughts?

I like the feel of a paper back book. I like feeling the paper between my fingers when I change the page. I like trying to make sure that I bend the book so that the binding doesn't crack. I lay it face down to train the pages back into shape, and the next time I put it down, I lay it back down...even though I know it doesn't help at all. In other words, I'm no help in this arena.

Charles (and ahertz)

What the heck is a kindle? First I thought it was a device used to kindle a fire.

Now I think it is some kind of projection thing to put a book on a projection screen so you can read it in a bigger text.

I googled to no avail :-/

Actually, yes ;)

However, I have no formal education in writing/journalism, nor do I have a degree in Psychology/Psychiatry. So, I have doubts that a column would go over well.
I am contemplating going back to school for it, so we'll see.

Huh? :smile:

The truth? Cause we probably don't care about what you're saying. Sorry.

Women tend to talk...A LOT, and at some point, we just turn off. All the details don't interest us that much. If you want him to listen to something, make it short and sweet.

LOL!!! That is so true! I have learned this tactic - short and sweet,works far better than trying to grind a guy down......because he won't hear 97% of it if it really doesn't interest him!

Kinda works both ways though,when my DH is rambling to me about work,gosh its all I can do to remember to nod in the appropriate places!

Anyhoo,quick question if you can help me?
I have a Mini sometimes the temp gauge goes up ever so slightly over the center,sometimes its perfectly in the middle where it should be...could it be a 'sticky' temp valve somewhere? I know if I go to a garage I'll probably get the usual 'thats gonna cost' when it could be an extremeley simple thing that won't actually cost that much in reality.

Thanks x

Charles (and ahertz)

What the heck is a kindle? First I thought it was a device used to kindle a fire.

Now I think it is some kind of projection thing to put a book on a projection screen so you can read it in a bigger text.

I googled to no avail :-/

Thanks for nothing Charles! :PMaybe I'll go post in the new electronics section...

Janeen, a Kindle is an iPod for books. You can check them out on Amazon.

Anyhoo,quick question if you can help me?
I have a Mini sometimes the temp gauge goes up ever so slightly over the center,sometimes its perfectly in the middle where it should be...could it be a 'sticky' temp valve somewhere? I know if I go to a garage I'll probably get the usual 'thats gonna cost' when it could be an extremeley simple thing that won't actually cost that much in reality.

Thanks x

I'd check to make sure your coolant is full. Make sure the radiator is cool when you check. When's the last time you had it flushed?

When do you notice it's going past the middle? Is it especially hot outside? Are you sitting in traffic or going higher speeds?

Thanks for nothing Charles! :PMaybe I'll go post in the new electronics section...

Janeen, a Kindle is an iPod for books. You can check them out on Amazon.

I can't know everything! ;)

Charles,

Thoughts?

I have the first generation Kindle and LOVE it! I can't think of anything it needs improving on - the pages turn quick enough for me, I take it to the beach/pool all the time. And I love that when I'm done with something I can just download anything I want right then and there wherever I'm at.

I'd check to make sure your coolant is full. Make sure the radiator is cool when you check. When's the last time you had it flushed?

When do you notice it's going past the middle? Is it especially hot outside? Are you sitting in traffic or going higher speeds?

Sure have..that was the first thing I checked,then the oil level just too make sure the engine is properly lubricated as I have been told that can cause and engine to run too warm because of friction (not sure if thats true,but it sort of made sense so I checked it too)Levels on both were absolutely spot on.
It was serviced......mmm,about 8 months ago? at a Mini dealership,they then programme the display on the dashboard to count down how long you have left before you need to book your next service,currently its about 8k miles away.
And thats the thing,it will do it in hot weather...then later on the same day,same outside temp and the needle will sit dead central where it should be,it also does this fluctuation on cooler days too...so I'm at a loss,if it was doing it all the time I'd run it straight back in,but its a sporadic thing.Being constantly on the go or sat still in traffic,going quickly or slowly seems to have no bearing on this temp behaviour either...I'm just so wary about going back if its a tiny problem and then I get charged massively for extra work 'that needed to be done' if you follow me? Seems to happen a lot to women drivers and I certainly have been burned by mechanics in the past so it makes me super wary!

xx

I have the first generation Kindle and LOVE it! I can't think of anything it needs improving on - the pages turn quick enough for me, I take it to the beach/pool all the time. And I love that when I'm done with something I can just download anything I want right then and there wherever I'm at.

Wow,its true what they say you learn something new everyday!

If the car seems to be running fine and there's no rhyme or reason as to the movement of the gauge, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
The car's under warranty, right? Take it in and make sure all the sensors are working, see if there are any codes in the ECU.

Dear Charles, why does my car's tires have what is called road noise? This seems to be the case especially when I'm driving down the highway. Are they possibly wearing unevenly?

I'm on the second set of tires, the car came with Michelins and I put Yokohamas on it.