Argh! Just can't get motivated!!!

1. I've been having the worst self-image issues over the last 4-5 months. I had my second baby in January '05 and after an awesome initial weight loss where I got down to 7 pounds below pre-pregnancy weight, my weight has gone back up and then some! I see it mostly in the inner tube of fat around my waist, and in my upper arms. I used to have an itty bitty waist...that was my defining feature. But now I'm up-and-down and flabby. :crybaby:

Problem is, I work and I have two kids under 4. I AM EXHAUSTED every day. After work, I have no time to do anything other than the bare essentials like cooking and washing dishes. My house is otherwise a mess. I know I should be making time for myself and squeezing in a workout and eating less crap (damn those coworkers for constantly bringing in chocolate and cookies!). But I just can't get motivated to make those lifestyle changes. It seems so intimidating and, well, unappealing. At the same time, I'm hating how I can't fit into my jeans anymore. My love life with DH has taken a hit too...I don't feel sexy or attractive anymore.

How do I snap out of this???? :shrugs: Thank you for any advice.
  2. start by exercising just a little a day. even if its just 5min every day you will begin to force your self to make that time. working doesnt take forever, putting it into your daily routine is often the hardest part.

regarding your diet: if you take in healthy snacks to work for not only you but your coworkers as well, then you all be eating healthy for that day!
  3. Batgirl -- thanks for your response. That's really good advice. Maybe I'll start off by doing a 5-minute walk around the block after work, and then work myself up to longer walks once I get used to the routine. :smile:

Healthy snacks -- any suggestions? Are dried fruit/nut mixes good? I do like fresh fruit but tend to be lazy about eating it. :smile:
  4. dried food is great. you can also get the veggie platters for work. nuts are also very healthy and give your body to essential fats and oils without all the bad stuff! try making your own trail mixes: adding 1/2 cup of various nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc.) and some dried fruit.
  5. Wow, you have a lot on your plate. You should be proud of yourself for doing so much! I think the advice to do a little exercise, even just 5 mins, every day (or at least 6 days a week) is sage advice.

I post little notes on the fridge and on the cabinet doors at work, any place where I can see them in full view, that say "Do you want that cupcake or do you want to be a size 4?" and other motivation stuff that hits home for me. Visual reminders I find helpful.

Also, a lot of my friends who are moms say that they had to learn to get up early and make a point of setting aside an hour for themselves, whether it's going for a brisk walk, going to the gym, or just taking a hot bath with the door closed. You've got to take care of yourself, or you won't be able to take care of others.

Anyway, pat yourself on the back. You're doing a lot of work! I'm sure you're doing a great job too. Good luck with it and hang in there.