Arg! So Cringe-inducing!! What to do??

1. I work as a business development analyst at a biotech consulting place, and the "head" analyst (who really isn't that senior, but he's been there for 3 years), always says to clients:

"I look forward to speak with you."

It totally drives me up the wall because it sounds so grammatically incorrect. (I must admit, I am a bit of a grammar fiend. It really bothers me when people use incorrect grammar and spelling). I was 99% sure that you should say "I look forward to speaking with you," and it bothered me so much so that I googled it, and I was right!! What he says in incorrect! You are supposed to use a gerund (adding -ing to a verb to make it a noun). Here is proof:

I look forward to something (a noun)
    I look forwar to hearing (the gerund-- so the verb becomes a noun) from you

Haaa!! Man, I am so tempted to confront him about this. I really cringe every time i hear it. How should I approach him? Is this even worth it? :push:

2. I also think it makes him sound unprofessional/uneducated...so maybe with this in mind, I should bring it to his attention?

3. You can't tell him, he will hate you forever for revealing that he is a half-wit. That would drive me nuts too. I would have to scream.

4. Can you leave an anonymous note on his desk???

5. Is he foreign? That sounds like something someone would say who doesn't have English as the first language.

6. Good idea, annemerrick, but our firm is small, so anonymity would be a problem even if I left my name off the note...:sad:

7. No, he's Japanese American, but born and raised here. I myself was born in Tokyo, so I bet he's heard even more English than I have in his lifetime!

8. EEK, I take back the half-wit part.

9. Don't feel badly, Irishgal. His English is better than his Japanese. He even told me so. He doesn't speak English with an accent at all, either. It might even be his first language...

10. I would not mention it. I was a professoinal editor for 20 years, and although it would certainly bother me, I would not say anything. I would not wish him to feel awkward or embarrased.

It also could be a colloquial speech pattern. Where I live, which is still the US, but not the continental US, there are lots of odd little speech quirks. For example, when giving directions, whether it is on the radio, TV, or paper, it is very common to hear or see this---

"Located across JC Pennys." Rather than "across from"...I wish I could think of more, and there are lots.....What your colleague does sounds very like something I would run across here.

They strike me as odd because I am from California.

Just my thoughts.......

11. If you're close to your colleague, I would say something to him. If you do, make sure that no one else will hear your conversation. Tell him that you've overheard him and you don't want to embarrass him, but you want his clients to think highly of him and respect him and that's why you're mentioning it. If you phrase it in a way that will positively affect his future transactions with people, he will probably take better to it. Good luck!

12. OHHHH I am a grammar nazi! It'd drive me nuts too!

13. Ouch heh! Well what about going and talking to him about something else and then when you leave tell him yes I look forward to SPEAKING with you again... LOL I dunno it might work he might pick it up after a few times of you saying it to him. Otherwise if you are not close to him I wouldn't even bother or he'll be going around to his friends telling them what a grammar nazi you are....

14. me too. i would have said something long before now.

15. I wouldn't say anything. It would cause more trouble than it's worth, imo.