Aren't fake bags illegal? and how close to real are they?

1. When we were in Italy last year, there were fake vendors EVERYWHERE. When we were getting ready to travel, I read somewhere that being caught with a fake purse was something you could be arrested for!

Just now, I was looking online for a Prada bag because I'm in love with it, and up comes the Saks page, then Ioffer, and then a handbag outlet place. The Ioffer site and the handbag outlet site are undoubtedly fake bags, but HOW does an illegal site stay up and running? The bags say "prada", not "rada!":p Doesn't someone hunt these down? There has to be a reason it's called "trunk parties" too for fake bags - because they aren't LEGAL!!!

Next question is, do these bags FEEL like the real thing? I've been doing a lot of reading on here the last few days and I read a thread about Jimmy Choo bags adn the lady was comparing a fake and an authentic bag and they seem almost identical in all ways. How do the designers make any money if their stuff is faked immediately?

For some reason I don't have a problem buying a bag that looks an awful lot LIKE a designer bag, but I don't think it should have ANY designer label... but maybe even having a "similar to designer bag" is unethical too.

Anyone else have thoughts?

2. In the US, there are "trademark" laws that make it illegal to make or sell merchandise that makes unauthorized use of another company's trademark, like the name or logo.

But it is not illegal to buy or own such merchandise, nor is it illegal to produce and sell merchandise that looks just like something made by another company.

There is also an international agreement, the digital copyright something or other, but in actual practice it is more of a cosmetic or public relations thing.

Every country has its own laws, or doesn't have them, depending on factors that range from culture to politics and back again.

So whether "fake bags are illegal" or not depends on what you mean by fake, where you are, and whether you are manufacturing, buying, or selling!

"How close to real" any copied merchandise, bags or anything else is, regardless of whether it has another company's label or no label, is all over the place. You can find copies of everything from CDs of software to handbags to jeans, again, some labeled as whatever they are copying, some not, others not labeled at all, that are poorly made of low quality materials, and others that are well-made of high quality materials.

That is the risk you take - you don't know, and if it does break, or crash your computer, or if the dye rubs off on your clothes, you might not be able to get your money back!

3. I don't know much about the legality of fake bags (I'll defer to ShimmaPuff), but as far as your second question - there are some very high quality fakes that look almost identical to the real thing, and there are some crappy fakes that are so bad it's sad. I don't want to start a big debate about why some women choose to carry fakes, why supporting the counterfeit industry is bad etc etc but it's all about supply and demand: as long as people buy them, these producers will make them.

4. I agree with my friends who answered previously. In NYC, street sellers are on every corner with lousy, cheap looking and obvious fakes. However, there are many people who buy fakes that are well made and are hard to tell from the original. It is up to personal preference if you want to patronize those who sell fakes. I would rather save up and buy vintage which are more affordable than the new things and you get the same great look, its genuine and you save money. After all, once we carry a bag a few times, it gets scratches, etc.

5. Fake bags are illegal and in some countries, if you get caught using them, you pay a fine.