Are you selling handbags on Craislist?

I've tried selling bags on Craigslist primarily because it's free, so why not give it a try? As many people have mentioned, lots of people try to haggle; a lot of people also just "disappear" after several email bargaining interactions. I always insist on cash interactions, at some public meeting place. One buyer actually came by my apartment but not after I made certain she was 100% sure about buying!

Mostly, though, I got lots of spammers and suspicious emails that were too vague (ie: "I'm interested in the item! Pls email me at *******"). Who knows, maybe I'm screening my emails too harshly but better safe than spammed to death.

I"ve got my LV pouchette on Craigslist - I posted the pics here first to authentificate it and then I've met the girl in person at her work - all in all a great experience but they are a lot of fake ones...so be aware

I have given up Craigslist. 80% are stupid scammers, and the remainder lowball me. I have had people email me, swear they will pay my asking, get me to me at THEIR convenient location, and then ask for over 50% off whiel TRYING TO DAMAGE my item so they can get a lower price!! :grrr:

I am not kidding, I was once selling a LV wallet that was used and the lady asked to see it, GETS IN HER CAR, I had to run to make sure she wouldn't drive by standing within the door way. She then starts PICKING at the edge to make a hole then gapes it open at me and says it's damaged and I should lower my price!

I have given up Craigslist. 80% are stupid scammers, and the remainder lowball me. I have had people email me, swear they will pay my asking, get me to me at THEIR convenient location, and then ask for over 50% off whiel TRYING TO DAMAGE my item so they can get a lower price!! :grrr:

I am not kidding, I was once selling a LV wallet that was used and the lady asked to see it, GETS IN HER CAR, I had to run to make sure she wouldn't drive by standing within the door way. She then starts PICKING at the edge to make a hole then gapes it open at me and says it's damaged and I should lower my price!
OMG I can't even believe that someone would do that, that's so awful, I am so sorry.

Then what did you do?

I took the wallet away from her, told her I already explained over the phone my pricing was firm and that the wallet is fine and she is trying to make it worse. She then offers me 50% my asking price and I walked away.

I've never sold a bag on eBay. I was turned off by the listing fees, paypal fees, hassle of shipping, etc.

Craigslist can also be a pain too. Although it's free to list and there are no fees, buyers will often lowball your offer. I listed a Gucci bag for $450 FIRM, and people were still offering me trades or $300. Also, they can say they want to meet up with you but then just plain old not show up or stop answering your emails/calls when it comes time to do the sale.

I bought my first Chanel medium classic from Craigslist. Haven't seen many authentic Chanels since! Transaction on Craigslist was super easy - we emailed, then met at Starbucks. One sticking point was price but the wife agreed to sell it to me for less than husband wanted because she saw how much I loved the bag.

If I had time, I'd rather use Craigslist than ebay

I agree with the other poster... never ever ever meet someone at your home!!! You were lucky it went ok, but these days this is a huge risk. I never give my home phone number out on any form of net communication these days either, only cell phone as there are too many ways that my home phone number can be researched to look up my home. I use my maiden name also. I really shuddered when I read your post that someone came to your home like this. There are too many dangers of rape, violence, or worse. I showed dogs and did rescue for yearsssssss... I found out the hard way about letting someone come to my home, for something as innocent as getting a new pet. Please take the advise of myself and the other poster to all of those selling on any form of the net and never let someone into your home.

Here's my Craig's list story of the day:
Just today... I met a woman who wanted to buy a handbag I put up on Craig's list. We meet in front of the mall.... and suddenly she offers a trade (even though we discussed the price and payment in cash). SHE OFFERED ME A FAKE FENDI BAG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told her it's fake, she said it has all the stuff????

Well, she paid me cash and that was that.

I agree about not giving a home phone #, I only deal with cellphones and meeting at a public location. Good idea about using the maiden name, btw.

There is a website that offers temporary phone numbers for CL transactions. You can have it expire in 1 day or up to 1 month. Let me go find it....

I also always insist on meeting at a bank or at the mall because of all the cameras and security.