Are White Lies Harmless ?

1. Honey does this dress make me look fat ?
    What would you be more comfortable hearing, the truth or a little white lie?

In your opinion is it better to tell a white lie and spare someones
    feelings or is it better to tell the truth ?

2. I'm ALL ABOUT honesty. . . usually. But I think white lies, in small amounts and certain situations are necessary.
    Like when my MIL {mother in law} cooks something and it's not that fab. . .
    I don't lie about anything serious.

3. I never, never, lie. I hate lying. I got into lots of trouble in my younger years from lies and realized it's just not worth it. And I am a true believer in the fact that what ever you put out there is one day gonna come back to you. So, I always tell the truth even if I have to do it gently.

4. ^do you have children?

5. really depends.. as much as possible, I prefer not to lie... but to protect others/myself, I have said white lies in the past..

6. Yes, a boy, 6, and a girl, 5. And I constantly try to teach them that lying about something is even worse than the thing you actually did (well, in theory anyway!). My daughter is already an accomplished lier. I can't believe it sometimes the elaborate stories she comes up with and I believe her!! She's punished right now for lying to me about her brother catching her finger in a door and I punished him for being rough with her and he went into his room!! He did't do it, she admitted it later.:shame:

7. wow! You've never said things like "you can't have anymore Sweet Tarts, they're all gone" just to avoid a begging meltdown?
    Those are my white lies.

My DD is 5 too. She rarely fibs, but when she does I flip out!!!

8. OH Well..........um, yea, does that count??:shame: :shame: Okay well then I guess I'll have to take that back cause I will say whatever I have to say sometimes just to get her voice octive down to a normal level!! She is LOUD!!!!!!!! But only to my kids.........okay and sometimes my hubby............DAMMIT, I'M A LIAR!!!!! Ignore all my previous posts in this thread!!!! :lol: :lol:

9. I have a friend who's so adamant about not lying to his children that he's "telling the truth" about Santa Claus to his two year old.

What a spoilsport! I can only wonder what he'll do when his son develops an imaginary friend.

10. OMG! ROFLMBO!!:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

Big, fat, liar!!
    LOL!:lol:

TOTALLY kidding!! Much love to other Mommies of 5yr old little girls!!!

11. That's what I call a "FUN-HATER":rant:

nice, take away a kid's freakin' childhood!:rolleyes:

12. I try not to, but to kids absolutely all the time just to get them to shut it. :yes:

But when it comes to friends needing advice or asking questions about physical appearances, etc I can't lie. I wouldn't be rude about it, but I would have to be honest. If they just wanted to hear the "good" stuff they wouldn't have asked for opinions.:angel:

13. Ditto. :biggrin:

14. I'd rather hear the truth. I don't necessarily mean the whole truth and nothing but the truth, though!!!

I definitely don't want to be told I look amazing in something, when I don't. But on the other hand, I already know my deficiencies, so I don't need someone pointing them out, all the time, either!

What I really want, is an honest opinion; to let me know whether I look better or worse than usual, in what I'm wearing. :biggrin:

15. That reminds me of that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where he nearly tells Alley (sp.?) that Santa Claus doesn't exist, because he thinks it's lying! :lol:

I love that show (we've only had it here for 2 or 3 years).

IMO, that's not a lie - that's make believe/story telling. If that's a lie, then so are all works of fiction!