Are those who give birth "naturally" (without drugs, no csection) the "Elite"??

1. My daughter goes to the day care center at my University, and when I was picking her up this afternoon, I started talking to one of the other moms there. We started talking about how Christina & Nicole had their babies just recently and just in general how our own babies were doing.

The conversation started pretty normal, until we started talking about Christina. I haven't read it online, but she said that Christina had a planned C-Section. I was just like "ok, that's her choice" adn the woman starts rambling on about how those who have elected C-Sections are wimps and don't really deserve to say that they have given birth. She said all they did was have a surgery. :confused1:

I've never really thought too much about this, but is there an "eliteness" when it comes to giving birth?

Are those who give birth vaginally, without drugs "better" than those that have elected C-Sections??

Now, I by no means agree with having scheduled C-Sections unless it is absolutely necessary , but I don't think it's really fair to say that those who decide to have an epidural or other types of drugs are inferior or "wimps".

Have any of you ever heard anybody say something along those lines???
  2. Well, I've never had a baby, but my mom had me at home with no drugs and I was 9 lb 8oz. When anyone hears that she gave birth naturally there is a kind of almost respect that she gets. I don't think there is anything wrong with a c-section or anything like that. As an outsider(non-mom), I don't think less of those who don't have a natural birth, but I do have more respect for those who give birth naturally.
  3. I had two C-sections. My son was turned backwards and labor stopped at #9. There was not way he was going to be delivered natural. With my daughter my doctor kept telling me through my pregnancy that I would probably need a C-section. They induced labor and I had one hour of trying but she was too big and it did not work so I had a C-section with her too.
    Does that make it wrong-NO. My daughter was also late and the doctor would have scheduled a planned C-section that week. Labor was horrible with my daughter-NO DRUGS ALLOWED during my inducing and one hour of hard labor. It was horrible.
    I think some women can give birth with no problems and that is wonderful but it does not make one better than the other. My friend was in labor over 20++ hours with no pain medication because her boyfriend or hubby at the time (I forgot) refused to PAY for pain medication for her. Now that is sick......when she told me that I was shocked.....
    I really don't know why one person would feel superior for having birth one way or another, all that matters is having a healthy baby.
  4. Well, these are my thoughts. I think that if you want to have an elective C-section, then you should have to pay for it - not insurance covering it. C-sections cost a LOT more and are a major surgery. Now WHY people elect to be cut open over doing it the way we're MEANT to do it, I don't know, but it shouldn't be a CHOICE without people accepting the cost.

DH and I had an interesting conversation about 10 years ago over a woman suing a hospital and doctor over them not giving her an epidural during labor. She felt it was her RIGHT to have drugs to ease the discomfort of labor. However, she had no insurance and no money to pay for the epidural either. She said it was cruel to not allow it. The doctors and hospital said that it's not necessary. (It wasn't a pitocin induced labor either). I think the hospital was in the right - but if it were a pitocin labor, then I think they then did owe it as then she didn't have a normal labor.

Now, I too gave birth to two children naturally - no drugs. I was in the hospital with a nurse midwife. I wasn't forced to stay in bed and could move around as I wished (and this is KEY to making labor tolerable). I gave birth to a 10 lbs 9 ozs, 22 inch long baby boy and a 11 lbs 12 ozs, 22 inches long baby boy.

HOWEVER, I will also say that I think I personally don't feel as much pain as most people and I think that is one thing that people tend to overlook or not think about. We all PERCEIVE pain differently and our body probably receives pain signals differently too. I say this because 1 - I never felt braxton hicks either time. 2. I don't feel tooth pain until the pain is BAD and I need a root canal (no warning signs before an infection sets in) and 3. I had gall bladder attacks during my last pregnancy and shortly after giving birth and while the pain was TERRIBLE (they got worse after birth), I was still surviving. I was PASSING the stones (I guess since the ultrasound showed gallstones,yet during surgery, the gall bladder was inflamed, but no stones!). I went to the emergency room once and the doctor said that I wouldn't be standing if I were passing a stone... yet I must have toughed it out... I just don't seem to feel the same intensity of pain (which is good because that is WAY, WAY painful - I didn't want to feel it MORE!). The last REASON I just KNOW I don't feel it is because I don't think my sister does either - she did a pitocin labor with only needing a shot of some pain relief and my sister is a KNOWN super duper wimp!

Was labor easy? Heck no! It was overwhelming, but I'm not going to say that's only because I was determined (though I was determined). I just might have pain on my side for labor... but can we know? Maybe I would have demanded an epidural too if I felt it more... and last time was VERY painful for me as now I know my son broke my tailbone while coming down... the pain I felt in my butt was excruciating... until it gave way I guess and then labor progressed fairly quickly from there.... The healing for a YEAR later was literally a pain in the butt though! LOL
  5. I gave birth naturally but it was NOT a choice, more of a medical necessity. I would have given my last designer bag for an epidural but sadly I had no choice about it. So in my opinion am I "elite" way, I was VERY unlucky.
  6. I've heard people say things along those lines - and I don't care.

It's my body, my pregnancy and my pain. How I manage my pain, whether by having a c-section, by having drugs/gas when a tooth is pulled, or an aspirin when my head hurts is my business, so long as I don't turn into someone who abuses pain medication!

And I do believe insurance should cover elective C-Sections. I mean, you do pay insurance premiums, and you have a right to ask for whatever you need. If someone doesn't want to go through labor because they don't want to face the pain and elect to have a c-section - by all means do so!!
  7. I completely agree, it is nobody's business but the patients.

I will say this, I had my first 2 children with no drugs, 100 % natural...then during my third, I was experiencing a lot more pain...I was determined not to have anything, I thought 'I have done it twice before, I can do it now'...when the labor nurse talked me into some demerol...she said, "You're far enouh along (in labor) it won't even go into the baby's bloodstream and it will just take the edge of and help you push better"...OMG! I was so glad I did!

8. How can it be nobody's business but the patient's business? I see no reason, none, that tax payers should have to pay for someone to have a c-section when it isn't necessary. If we pay for that, then we should pay for people's boob jobs too when someone decides hers isn't big enough.

When they are recommended or necessary (and they are NOT as necessary as doctors "recommend". Come on, 25% to 30% of women can't birth their babies safely?) that is different, but to CHOOSE one just to avoid labor - that to me is where insurance coverage stops and people pull out their checkbooks. it's not even better for babies to be born by c-section and it's ALWAYS riskier for the mother to have a c-section over a vaginal birth.
  9. See, I don't think there's an "elite" factor. I feel the opposite. I want a natural labor and am being basically persecuted for it. Our families think we're nuts and I get daily "don't be a hero, take the epidural" comments. I wish I hadn't told anyone what OUR choice for childbirth was. We're going to a free-standing birthing center. I get comments asking if I still shave my legs, where are my birkenstocks, etc. I don't feel that women who get epidurals or ask for c-sections are any less of a woman or mother at all. The choice that's right for them is just not right for me.
  10. To each is own. I personally don't think women that take no medication and everything natural are better that those who did, that's their choice. How you raise kids to be a good human beings and be a loving parent is far more important to me.
  11. OMG, this is SOOOO true too. First, they think you are jeopardizing your baby if you use a nurse midwife (so wrong) and two, when you say you want a natural childbirth before you have had a baby? They give you this look like, "yep.. sure, YOU'LL SEE!!!" They think you are a fool and can't WAIT for you to fail.

Now, "IF" you do manage to have a birth that you want (and to do that you MUST, MUST, MUST be able to get out of some of the "procedures" like - making you stay on your back tied to a monitor, etc.), then all of a sudden people are in awe of you - like you did something unheard of...

Yet... in most of the world (including most of Europe) women do NOT use drugs during labor and DO NOT have super high numbers of C-sections and they are credulous at the number of medicated births and unnecessary interventions in the US... going natural most places is just a given!

I TRULY don't feel that anyone should feel "elitist" about going natural, but I also feel that women shouldn't be DISCOURAGED from doing it naturally - it's better for EVERYONE when done right. I CRINGE when I watch those labor and delivery shows on air and a laboring woman doing FINE is basically ordered an epidural... I just had a friend FORCED to have one because there was some meconium staining. She was doing FINE with labor, but in the last 30 minutes they told her she was jeopardizing her baby by not getting an epi, now WHAT?!?!?!
  12. I don't understand how it becomes the taxpayers business if you pay several thousand dollars a year for insurance premiums? We're not talking about free health care here, in which case yes, it becomes the taxpayer's responsibility.

I've received several treatments which involve transactions between myself, the medical establishment and the insurance company...what insurance doesn't cover, I pay out of pocket, and I don't know where the taxpayer comes into the picture. Please enlighten me. As far as I know (putting it simply) insurance companies take my money and some money from my employers as premiums, invest the money and use returns on those investments by me and other people to pay for my medical bills, and there is a ceiling on the amount I can ask them to pay.

I mean, the amount of money I've paid for insurance premiums alone the past 5 years should cover at least 3 c-sections.
  13. It's tax payers business because we ALLLLLLL pay into it. One person may pay $5000 a year and never use more than $100 a year their entire life. Another person may pay $5000 a year and have a premature baby and use a half million dollars in one year followed by possibly years of high expenses. The rates are what they are to balance out in the end - some use more, some use less, but the more we ALL use, the higher the premiums we ALL pay.

Why is it OK to use as much as you put in (as you are mentioning above), but still OK to use several times OVER what you put in when an emergency arises? That surplus you just used had to come from somewhere, right? It came for someone not using theirs to be able to give to you in a time of need.

Plus, C-sections are risky, risky, risky - higher rates of infection and complications and longer recovery period. JUST with the birth and hospital stay afterwards an average c-section costs over $12,000 whereas an average vaginal birth costs $6000, a nurse midwife attended vaginal natural birth costs (in the hospital) anywhere from $2000 to $4000 and nurse midwife births in a birth center range from $700 to $2000.

Then, if anyone is going to need to be rehospitalized with complications? it's usually the person who had a c-secion, so add more cost. I was just doing a search and over and over it says how UNSAFE the option of c-section is, so why would ANY insurance company pay for it without a need? I found an article from the UK where insurance companies no longer pay for elective c-sections - which averaged $14,000 USD.

VERY few people pay enough those with high premiums to cover c-sections. 3 c-sections in 5 years is probably over $36,000.
  14. I don't consider it a taxpayer's problem because it doesn't have anything to do with income taxes. f healthcare is free, and funded by taxation of either property or income, then it becomes a taxpayer's problem.

And what do insurance companies do with your premiums? It's not like they put it all into a big pool, and pay out what everyone needs, so you should be guilty of pulling out more than your share even if you don't need it. Insurance companies are supposed to take your money and INVEST it correctly, so that you will benefit from that investment in times of your need.

Premiums rising is not because people pull out money to pay for their health needs. They rise because of inflation, they rise because of poor investments by the insurance companies themselves that yield less profits for insurers. So it isn't really necessary to guilt-trip people into not using what their insurance provides for them.

I pay around $400 per month insurance premiums...that adds to about $24000 over five years, so 2 c-sections, not 3 :p
  15. I've heard stuff like this and actively choose to not be part of the debate. All other things aside, ideally we would live in a society that didn't judge so much, didn't label so much and was just supportive of all moms (and dads) and their babies...and contributed to the positive energy that helped everyone grow in a healthy and nurturing world. Pipe dream? Maybe. But (after 48+ hours of labor and delivery, needing some drugs at hour 38 to sleep and then push that baby out), I consider my life to short to worry about being better or worse than someone else whose pregnancy and labor/delivery details I'll never fully know or understand. Just MHO, of course!