are people really never that honest in stores?!

I would have done the same. Not too long ago, I was walking through the mall and a big wad of cash fell out of the pocket of a girl walking ahead of me. I chased her down and gave her the cash. She was so shocked!

It's happened 3 times to me recently, I'm starting to wonder if I'm being tested!

First time we found £50 in an envelope on the ground in a multi storey car park, then I got given too much change at the supermarket, then when we went for Chinese food the guy gave us too much change back.

The car park one I honestly expected to end up on some hidden camera TV programme! We handed it in and as no-one claimed it we picked it up again a month later!

I was helping my brother purchase a suit last year, and the suit salesman was really helpful. The jacket was on sale with a large tag on the top, saying 149.00 and the trousers were not, they were still 89.00, but because the jacket was reduced to half price, it was still a good deal. When I got to the checkout, she charged me the 149.00 label price and did not charge me for the trousers. I immediately pointed it out, and she simply removed the security tag, and said it was fine!!!! Now in this situation, I felt I had been completely honest as I pointed out the error immediately, but to her mind, she had put it through as a suit and was charging me what she saw as a suit price, not a jacket price! We made it up to them as my brother then bought a new shirt and tie with the money he saved ;), but I still think of it as his lucky suit, and she did seem surprised that I had pointed it out. It definitely worked in my favour to be honest tho!!

I found a credit card that was on the floor of a shop once and handed it in immediately, anybody that could even contemplate not doing that, has been wrongly bought up in my opinion. I believe these good deeds do come back around, as just last week I stupidly left my handbag (complete with purse with credit cards, an ipod, mobile, chequebook, sunnies etc etc), and a lovely couple handed it in, the feeling of panic when I realised I had lost it was absolutely awful, so for them to be so honest, really restored my faith in people.

i can only think of one time i kept money that i found on the floor...and that was only because it was $5 and we were in the middle of nowhere. lol.

but if a cashier gives me too much money back, i always tell them and give them the extra...because i've been a cashier and it SUCKS to have your boss yell at you when you're drawer is missing money. and i hated when people weren't honest with me, so i would never do that to other people, you know?

my conscience is costing me money!:Push:

I was helping my brother purchase a suit last year, and the suit salesman was really helpful. The jacket was on sale with a large tag on the top, saying 149.00 and the trousers were not, they were still 89.00, but because the jacket was reduced to half price, it was still a good deal. When I got to the checkout, she charged me the 149.00 label price and did not charge me for the trousers. I immediately pointed it out, and she simply removed the security tag, and said it was fine!!!! Now in this situation, I felt I had been completely honest as I pointed out the error immediately, but to her mind, she had put it through as a suit and was charging me what she saw as a suit price, not a jacket price! We made it up to them as my brother then bought a new shirt and tie with the money he saved ;), but I still think of it as his lucky suit, and she did seem surprised that I had pointed it out. It definitely worked in my favour to be honest tho!!

I found a credit card that was on the floor of a shop once and handed it in immediately, anybody that could even contemplate not doing that, has been wrongly bought up in my opinion. I believe these good deeds do come back around, as just last week I stupidly left my handbag (complete with purse with credit cards, an ipod, mobile, chequebook, sunnies etc etc), and a lovely couple handed it in, the feeling of panic when I realised I had lost it was absolutely awful, so for them to be so honest, really restored my faith in people.

same sort of thing happened with me before at coach, actually. they had their preferred customer event going on, where you got 25% off. so i bought a bag, then decided i wanted something else. i had forgotten my receipt in the car and she don't worry. so she gave me a merch credit- for the full amount of the bag (NOT the price i paid!). it wasn't until i got home that i realized what happened (i think i may secretly be blonde...). but i ended up calling the store in a panic and the manager was like, uhm, it's okay. don't worry about it! i was so shocked! so i ended up buying more accessories because i felt so guilty:P

i left my bag in a bathroom at the AIRPORT once. i figured, for sure, it was gone. atlanta airport is pretty freaking busy, you know?! so i was near tears, trying to get phone numbers to my cc companies, assuming the worst had happened. when this girl, about 30, comes up to me and hands me my bag. apparently she was in the bathroom after me and had been trying to track me down for 30 minutes! and everythign was still there. i was SO surprised!

as someone who works at best buy, usually people are more than happy to take whatever break they get. because of the part of the state we're in, people are usually more honest here than in the Atlanta stores - rural people have more of a code of ethics, i think, in general.

i try and always do the honjest thing..

and ya ppl are always suprised.. but i figure there are enough bad things going on inthe world without me adding more to whoevers day

I would always to the honest thing. I remember once paying for a choc bar with £5 and them giving me change for a £20. I explained to them and they looked at me like I was trying to pull a fast one!

One time I was with my fiancee's (then future) sister in law.

She was trying on wedding dresses at a bridal store with tiaras, etc to get a feel for the 'finished look'.

When we left, we were almost to the car and I noticed that she still had a tiara on her head!

She refused to go back inside and give it back...I think she even wore that same tiara on her wedding day!

Talk about bad karma!!

Needless to say I don't go shopping with her anymore!

This is the exact reaction DH got from the teller who helped him reverse the deposited amount in our savings account. She gave him the weirdest look. :shrugs:Some of DH's co workers even said that if it happned to them, they'd close their accounts and take the money with them...... oooooookay.:rolleyes:

As I'm a student a often work at the cashier in a department store. Every time I notice I've made a mistake in ringing things up I get such a horrible feeling that whenever I'm the customer I try to be as honest as I can be because I really know what it's like to be on the other side of the counter. Not that the things we didn't ring up would come out off my pay but it just really feels bad knowing you've made a mistake.