Are Americans really this dumb???

BalenciagaLove said:
I tend to disagree with above statement. There are other countries that some would not consider as developped that have higher literacy rates than the United States.

Literacy isn't geography though, IMO you can't really compare the 2.
And don't you guys think they *may* have only shown you what was funny/embarrasing, instead of the other 50 people who got it right? I mean, that wouldn't be funny at all, and then they couldn't poke fun at "dumb Americans".
Just playing Devil's advocate here;)
But I still fully believe that if you questioned the same number of Romans, Canadians, Brazilians, etc . . . we'd probably yield nearly the same results. JMHO:biggrin:

I learned all my continents in school, but I can see if someone was put on the spot w/ a mic/camera in their face they could miss one or 2.

I'm no expert at all -- I do know that there are groups of scholars (in Faculties of Education across the continent) who actually study this! I read one article about it, at school, a while back. It's really complicated, actually -- as all of these things really are, when you look into all of the variables and populations size and this and that.

All I can say is that the majority of Americans that I've encountered have been very knowledgeable. This includes you guys on the Purse Blog, of course:love:

allison said:
yes, she said it in an interview with People mag. This was pre-Federline, though. I believe it was 2003.
I am not sure if getting with kFed made her any smarter... quite the opposite I am afraid.

First off, I think they edit out the people who actually know their thing on TV clips like these. :amuse:

But any how, our TV aired this hilarious document about how Canadians went to US major cities and campuses and all. They asked questions like is it time for Canada to change their 20-hour time system to a 24-hour one or can we borrow your harbours as we don't have coastline in Canada... And best was that they claimed that the caribus travel from Sydney to Toronto every year and this is very bad economically :amuse: The responses shown from the Americans were hilarious.. They went to Bush and and said that their Prime Minister Jean Pommesfrites sends his greeting and Bush was like 'Oh, send my greetings to him as well' so he didn't even know who's Canadian PM.... :worried:

I think that US being such a big country, concentrates on educating their own history and doesn't have time to teach the history/geography of other countries that well... again I say that I believe that there are some incredibly stupid people scattered all over the globe :lol:

OMG, Nectarine. Did they actually air that in Finland? That series was made by Canadian satirist/comedian Rick Mercer (incidentally, he's a secondary school drop out himself, though has done really well for himself). So funny that that aired in Finland! (Of course, once again, they are only using the clips that work for them...)

Yes I saw that, can't remember what he asked from them though... :suspiciou That was so weird that even the professors were a bit lost on not that difficult questions!

And the one where he claimed that the poles of bi-polar Canada are furthering apart from each other :amuse: And the one where the mother was talking about the states od Canada and his about 5-year-old son told her that they're provinces not states...

I think that the programme which aired here was a remix of all of them...

Greenie said:
I think if you did that in other countries you'd get similar results.

Exactly. Some people care to learn about it, some people don't. Some have the resources, some don't. The reasons behind the lack of knowledge are not black and white. Of course, in order to make a funny video they are only going to use the replies that suit that purpose. I am sure they edited out some of the smarter answers. Stuff like this gets circulated..and pretty soon "all" Americans are dumb. Infuriates me. :mad: