Aquamarine Halo Ring

I like black diamonds :smile: If I don't get a black diamond for an engagement ring he had better find some other coloured stone because I hate diamonds! I find them boring. As accents they are ok but as the main stone they just don't do anything for me :sad:

It's funny you should say that about gemstones, b/c when my hubby first proposed, it was with an emerald cut aquamarine solitaire. Aquamarine was his birthstone, and at the time we were young and in college and he couldn't afford to get me the diamond he thought I deserved. I loved that aquamarine ring, however I got many sideways glances from others who thought I was wearing a "fake diamond" :confused1: I even heard from a friend that another friend commented about my ring being a "bad quality diamond" because it was "blue-ish" I never presented it as a diamond and was proud to say it was aquamarine, his birthstone.

Nowadays I see it's more common that women are getting different colored gemstones for their erings. A friend of mine recently got married and her ring was a beautiful ruby w/diamond halo. Another friend of mine is in a long term relationship, and her bf asked me to get some info about what type of ering she'd like. She was adamant that she did NOT want a diamond ring, explaining that her coworkers were obsessed with comparing whose ring was larger and cost more, and diamonds just don't fit her personality.

Interesting that many women think an ering isn't real if it isn't a diamond. I found this link: http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/the-ring-has-a-truth-to-it/ that talks about what celebrity erings symbolize. In it he talks about Nicole Richie's pink sapphire ering:

"An inverted cushion cut pink sapphire in a tight knit pave undercarriage, with an open airline split diamond pave band.
What it says about Nicole: Inexpensive, colored stones are used for only one reason—to save money. They allow the wearer to get a lot of bang for little bucks. Common responses wearers give for choosing a colored stone include “It’s my favorite color” or “It’s my birthstone.” More likely the wearer wants big and fashionable but does not want a big price tag. Engagement rings that are chosen to impress rather than to represent the union hints that the union will usually dissolve quicker than an Alka-Seltzer tablet in water. The fact that the sapphire was mounted upside down suggests doubts about the relationship that haven’t quite surfaced yet. On the plus side, when a cocktail style ring is used as an engagement ring, it can easily be placed on the other hand as a right hand ring if the couple breaks up. In short, Nicole’s ring tells the world that she is unsure in her relationship and hopes pink wouldn’t bring it down like J. Lo."

He goes on that way throughout the rest of the article, trying to brainwash readers into thinking that if you don't have a diamond ering, your marriage is a sham and will fall apart. He speaks so disparagingly about women and couples that have a colored gemstone ering. Complete rubbish. So many celebs have huge diamond rocks that are inversely proportional to the length of time their marriage lasts.
^that article was horrifying, & clearly biased. did you read the gushing praise for heidi klum's ring? he contradicts himself at every turn.

I truly think that a gemstone is much more traditional than a diamond for an engagement ring. I think that it's so romantic to discover the meaning behind the stone, & use that as a statement of love (just like flowers have a love language).

here are some meanings in regard to love that I found (I don't believe that stones have power, I just think the symbolism is interesting...you're conveying a message to your beloved with gemstones just like the victorians did with flowers):
"The meaning of Aquamarine is said that this stone helps couples open up and gets all their thoughts across no matter how difficult communication has been between them earlier. It is also said to raise the fidelity in the relationship."

"In medieval Europe, aquamarine was believed to re-awaken love in a marriage and to make soldiers invincible in battle. The Greeks beleived that aquamarine would absorb the energy of young love and was considered the best gift for a groom to give his bride after consumnating their marriage."

"It would also reduce tensions / stresses in personal relationships, strengthen emotional ties and can protect the wearer in cases where others may exploit or play on their kind heartedness or generosity. It signifies courage and determination and bestows investigative powers as well as martial happiness. It has been also observed that use of aquamarine can also resolve marital problems of many young couples."

whoever wrote that article, does not know gemstones very well! a fine quality with vivid colour in a natural gemstone is 10 times harder to find then a flawless diamond. some collectors can spend years trying to find the right gemstone in a specific size and colour, whereas diamonds you can find in almost any size, colour, and clarity on a dealer's website or in store within a very short time span. fine rubies alone per carat are the most expensive gemstone (including diamonds) in the world, this is also followed by sapphires, and gemstones that are not widely marketed such a alexandria, spinel (which is in many royal jewels) and was once mistaken as ruby, and paraiba Tourmaline which can run as high as $20,000 for a 1 carat Paraiba!!
^agreed...diamonds are not rare, they're just controlled.

It is mainly an American thing the diamond engagement ring. I love diamonds and I have a very typical example, but in my country I'm the minority. Most women don't have the typical solitaire diamond. You see everything from pearls and sapphires to simple bands with no gemstones, to large and small diamonds. Basically any ring is just fine for an engagement.

What a load of BS is that article.

I will try to find a thread of a fellow TPFer who got similar comments here in this forum. She had a pink gem as e ring (if I'm not mistaken), a beautiful ring, but she got many comments of "Nice ring but it is not an engagement ring , it is a cocktail ring"

Found it: http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/engagement-ring-598823.html
^very true. I feel sorry for that OP...the sapphire ring she asked about was beautiful. I would absolutely LOVE to have a pearl engagement ring, but pearls aren't hardy enough for every-day wear.

yep, it's a north american view on erings. which fine! everyone loves some sparkle... i'm guilty of this as well. but for me theres something about coloured gemstones. the rich saturated colour, the silkiness of a sapphire, sparkle of spinel, the deep colour of fine aquamarine, glow of rubies! love gemstones...can you tell? haha

that tiffany sapphire is amazing, I would love a legacy someday:cloud9:
^I feel the same...I'm completely enamored with colored gemstones.

Exactly! I love diamonds too but I also know that some other precious gemstones are worth a lot more diamonds, and are harder to find. I'll take a beautiful flawless sapphire over a crappy flawed diamond any day.
^same here!

I blame DeBeers for a lot of the hype.
^definitely...a brilliant marketing campaign to make them a monopoly.

I like black diamonds :smile: If I don't get a black diamond for an engagement ring he had better find some other coloured stone because I hate diamonds! I find them boring. As accents they are ok but as the main stone they just don't do anything for me :sad:
^I'm bored with diamonds too. the only ones that really capture my interest are the low colored (which throw a lot of color), & the fancy colored diamonds (of course ;)). I usually even try to minimize the amount of diamonds as accent stones because they artificially inflate the price of the piece of jewelry. I want my money to be invested in the center gemstone, not the hyped up side stones.

i love low coloured diamonds, the colours they throw are amazing! funny thing is when you go into a jewellery store and ask for a low coloured diamond they look at you like you're crazy !! LOL this is most likely because SA's are trained that DEF is best HI is acceptable...anything after this is not acceptable :S

i love low coloured diamonds, the colours they throw are amazing! funny thing is when you go into a jewellery store and ask for a low coloured diamond they look at you like you're crazy !! LOL this is most likely because SA's are trained that DEF is best HI is acceptable...anything after this is not acceptable :S
^right...trained, but not knowledgeable. I really love low colored & rose cut or old mine cut. there's something about the rainbow color & the big facets :love:

^that article was horrifying, & clearly biased. did you read the gushing praise for heidi klum's ring? he contradicts himself at every turn.

I truly think that a gemstone is much more traditional than a diamond for an engagement ring. I think that it's so romantic to discover the meaning behind the stone, & use that as a statement of love (just like flowers have a love language).

here are some meanings in regard to love that I found (I don't believe that stones have power, I just think the symbolism is interesting...you're conveying a message to your beloved with gemstones just like the victorians did with flowers):
"The meaning of Aquamarine is said that this stone helps couples open up and gets all their thoughts across no matter how difficult communication has been between them earlier. It is also said to raise the fidelity in the relationship."

"In medieval Europe, aquamarine was believed to re-awaken love in a marriage and to make soldiers invincible in battle. The Greeks beleived that aquamarine would absorb the energy of young love and was considered the best gift for a groom to give his bride after consumnating their marriage."

"It would also reduce tensions / stresses in personal relationships, strengthen emotional ties and can protect the wearer in cases where others may exploit or play on their kind heartedness or generosity. It signifies courage and determination and bestows investigative powers as well as martial happiness. It has been also observed that use of aquamarine can also resolve marital problems of many young couples."

Wow, I didn't know aquamarines had that kind of history! Sounds like a no brainer to me. I think I'll be ordering the ring very, very soon...

Frick I didn't know those things about Aquamarine, perhaps because I don't have any, I always look the history and the properties of gems though, even if I don't believe much, I like to know all those interesting things!

Ooohh 4 weeks, I'll be waiting too!

Frick I didn't know those things about Aquamarine, perhaps because I don't have any, I always look the history and the properties of gems though, even if I don't believe much, I like to know all those interesting things!

I feel the same way. I think of it just like the victorian love language with flowers. I don't believe that the rocks can heal you or protect you, but they symbolize something...like aquamarines symbolize communication, fidelity (blue violet), & love (red rose).