Apple watchers: New iPods, Cheaper iPhones ...

1. Highlights from today's media event:

New iPod Nano Released:
    • Incredibly smaller
    • New colors: (RED), silver, light blue, teal & green
    • Full Metal design
    • New User Interface - includes Cover Flow
    • Three games bundled - includes Vortex
    • Video-capable
    • Cover Flow
    • 2" screen, with brigher, QVGA resolution (320x240) - highest pixel density Apple's ever shipped
    • 4GB - US$149
    • 8GB - US$199
    • 24 hours of audio playback, 5 hours video playback
    • Shipping Today
    • Both models compatible with Nike+ running kit

Full-size iPod:
    It features a thinner, full metal body. Capacity has been increased to either 80GB or 160GB versions.
    • 80GB - $249
    • 160GB - $349 - 40 hrs music playback, 7 hrs video playback

iPod Touch:
    featuring full, touchscreen controls like the iPhone. Included apps are Calendar, Clock Contacts, Calc, Settings and a few more. Steve Jobs called it "One of the Seven Wonders of the World."
    • Thinner than the iPhone - only 8mm
    • Same multitouch pinch & spread zooming controls for photos as the iPhone
    • Same coverflow as the iPhone
    • 3.5" diagonal screen
    • Wi-Fi 802.11b & 802.11g - it can save your home network setup
    • Home button
    • Slide to unlock - same as the iPhone
    • Sensor for auto-landscape viewing
    • Safari - connect to the internet via WiFi
    • YouTube via WiFi
    • 22 hours audio, 5 hours video playback
    • Shipping worldwide this month - already localized into many languages
    • 8GB - $299
    • 16GB - $399

Wifi-accessible version of the iTunes Music Store:
    The new version allows downloading music from iTunes directly to your iPod touch.

Starbuck$ Partnership:
    When you get near a Starbucks a fifth button will come up in the WiFi music store - you may have been in a Starbucks wondering what song is that playing? Now you can buy it with a tap of your finger. The service will reportedly display the last 10 songs played in that Starbucks. According to Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz there will be free access to iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store via Starbucks' Wi-Fi.

New iTunes with Ring Support:
    allowing users to make their own ringtones & sync directly to the iphone for $.99 in addition to the cost of the song. The user is allowed to pick any 30 second selection from a song, with iTunes automatically creating fade-in and -out for the ringtone. After agreeing to your selection, you can click the "buy" button and for 99¢ you have a ringtone.

Cheaper iPhones:
    The iPhone will receive a price drop, moving the 8GB model down to $399 from $599 starting immediately. The 4GB iPhone model is being dropped, due to intense consumer concentration on the 8GB model.

With the current pricing, the 8GB iPhone is now only $100 more than the new iPod touch model at the same storage capacity.
  2. I've never been an iPod kind of person, but my interest was sparked with the iPhone. I didn't get it because I absolutely hate the wireless carrier.

Let me tell you that I have an iPod touch on web order hold. I want it now, not in October. I'll be stopping by the store everyday.:yes:
  3. Holy $hit...I bet all you iPhone users are PISSED!!!!
  4. this is great news. i was planning to buy a new ipod at the end of the month. im still using a first gen mini:shame:
  5. I hate to say this but: Nope! I'm a gadget girl and I freakin' love my iPhone. This just means my DH gets one now! LOL
  6. I'm a gadget guy too. but...after 2.5 months the same phone is 200 bucks cheaper?? That's a 33% depreciation after 75 days. Sorry, but I'd be a bit upset about that.
  7. I would be if I bought the 4 gig model. Sh!t, I'd be upset either way. What a price drop!
  8. you still have to have AT&T to use iPhone?
  9. [​IMG]

Charles, the only thing that I like better than my iPhone is my Appl Stock that I bought shortly after I bought my first iPod (Christmas 2001!).
  10. im a gadg-girl and i am so getting the iphone at the new price and def upgrading my video version ipod to the wifi version

Apple is the best
  11. Yeah... can't believe they dropped the price so much and so soon.
  12. I'm not getting the iPhone, I'm getting the iPod touch. I hate AT&T. I'm so glad I waited. :yes:
  13. I so am upset - I am totally not an 'early user' - but got the iPhone as a 'shared' birthday present.
    And I am 2 days over my 14 day return (even with 10% restocking it would have been $140 reduction)

I mentioned it in another thread - when I made a fool of myself getting excited of the refurb price - but I have never know Apple reduce prices so quickly. Anyone know why they did this???

I am googling CA consumer protection laws as we talk. I thought that the consumer was entitled to 90 days by law (for example when I got a sprint phone most places had 30 days to return it - by CA residents had 90 days). Can anyone enlighten me?
  14. Yeah... I'd love an iPhone, but am not into AT&T.
  15. CNET said the price was going to drop quickly, but I don't think they expected it this quickly. I'm still going to wait a little longer!