Apple Recall

1. SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. will recall 1.8 million lithium-ion notebook computer batteries after nine devices overheated, causing minor burns to two users, U.S. safety regulators said on Thursday.

The recall is the second-biggest in U.S. history involving electronics or computers. Just last week, No. 1 PC maker Dell Inc. recalled 4.1 million lithium-ion batteries.

In both cases, the batteries had power cells made by Sony Corp..

Sony said in a separate statement that it did not anticipate further recalls of batteries using the potentially faulty cells. The giant Japanese electronics company said the Apple and Dell recalls would cost Sony between 20 billion yen and 30 billion yen ($172 million to $258 million).

Cupertino, California-based Apple will recall 1.1 million batteries sold with notebook computers in the United States and 700,000 abroad, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said.

They were sold with Apple iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 computers from October 2003 through this month, according to the safety commission.

Apple had said last week after the Dell recall that it was reviewing its notebook batteries to ensure they met its standards.

"The key message to consumers is these lithium-ion batteries can actually overheat and pose a fire hazard," said Scott Wolfson, spokesman for the Consumer Product Safety Commission in Washington.

Shares of Apple were down 23 cents to $67.08 in active afternoon trading on Nasdaq following the recall announcement; they had dipped as low as $66.27. Apple representatives were not immediately available for comment.

(Additional reporting by Ritsuko Ando in New York)

Please say it isn't so.:crybaby:

2. I have one of those!! Aack. And I was making fun of Dells for this!

3. ^^^^^me too!! I don't know what to do...how do you do recalls? I need my computer!

4. Yeah. Hmmmmmm... I think we have to wait for instructions.

5. Great, this affects me.

6. ok thanks!^^^^^no battery means no laptop means no PF!:wtf:

7. Oh no! My roomie has a powerbook... and I have a macbook now. After hearing all this, I get really nervous when mine gets hot and its rarely on my lap anymore. Ugh

8. Yesterday, I was watching a DVD on it, and it always gets really hot, even if it's on a solid flat surface, and I was wondering if anyone else's gets hot. Well, I guess they do. The battery side never seems to get hot though, it's the side opposite the battery.

9. I love my Mac - I can't part with it for a minute!

10. Oh... my battery is starting to lose it's charge, I hope it is recalled so I can get a new one for free! :graucho: I have already replaced it once, dang, I wish I would have kept that old one too.

11. Thankfully, on the website above, it says to remove the defective battery if yours comply with the serial number, and to just plug in the AC adapter until you call for a free, new replacement battery to arrive.

12. Go to apple.com then click on support tab, then on the right hand side there's a link for the battery exchange, however, I can't get through to it yet, there must be loads of people trying.

13. :shame: Oops! Sorry.