Apple? Pear? Share your clothing vs body shape secrets!

my body shape is not resemble any fruits LOL but a twig. i don't reall have curves. i have no butts and small breasts. i'm 5'4" and only 40 kgs, i'm not an anorexic, i eat a lot but i never go beyond 42 kgs my whole life, i have very skinny bones
my upper body is shorter in proportion to my legs.
sooo :
1. i tend to wear low rise jeans or hipster to make my upper body looked longer
2. i wear skinny a lot because they don't really make me look like i have a spare space in the ass part of the pants :P
3. to make me look less like a skeleton, i usually wore looser tops, my fave is loose mini summer dress on top of tights or skinny jeans.

LOL skinny? Longer legs in comparison to your torso? small butt and boobs? you sound like a model! :P

I'm definitely an apple - long legs, relatively narrow hips, broad shoulders, short torso and big chest. When the drop-waist trend happened, it was a total godsend because it lengthened my torso but I had long enough legs to pull it off. I have also read that off-the-shoulder tops aren't flattering to us big-chested girls so although they are cute on others, I avoid them. I am really enjoying the loose top/tight bottom combo that is popular right now.

ARGH I love drop waisted dresses! As much as i love skinnies and flats! I so wish I could wear them...

AND the loose top/tight bottoms :tup::tup: i love it!

I don't even have to read the descriptions because I know I'm a damn pear. Ugh. I hate it.

But anyway, this is what I find looks best on me:

Wide or straight leg jeans/pants. NO skinnies! Those just accentuate my huge behind and it's downright scary. In general, no pants that are tapered in the leg at all.

For work clothing, I usually wear suits or dresses from Ann Taylor. A lot of them are very figure flattering and tapered at the waist for me.

A-line or skirts that flare are best for me. I don't know what you call them, but the ones that are fitted and then flare at the bottom look good on me. Then I'll wear a fitted top or sweater to show my waist.

For work I almost always wear heels. It lengthens the leg, and also I'm short so I need all the help I can get.

Great advice! It's practical and simple... Keep 'em coming, girls!

OK, ok, so the pics probably weren't the best photos to post, considering we're talking about how to hide bits we don't like, when those girls obviously have no flaws LOL. I was just trying to illustrate the kind of top I meant :shame:

From your avatar, you have a beautiful face and gorgeous skin - I wish I had skin like yours! Mine is really dull and I often look like I'm sick, when I'm not - HA what a hot look that is!

I'll tell you something else, you have a great decolletage! You should work those classic v-necks, or those loose jumpers with deep v-necks and some bootcut jeans.

What about A-line wrap dresses?

Wrap dresses work wonders! They save me a lot of time and effort when getting ready for school. And I feel really, well, unfashionable for not knowing what a decolletage was (thanks dictionary.com!) but I will definitely consider V-necks more often. It would be a great way to draw attention up instead of down.

I don't know which fruit I am. 5'5 , size 2 and I have D's!!!

Pants:
I have no butt (currently working on gaining weight!!!) I swear by pants with back flap pockets. They make me look like I have a cute little bubble back there. lol.

Tops:
I don't like to accentuate my breasts. I like crew necks and cute loose flowing tunics. I love off the shoulder tops because they still look sexy with out going over board. I DO like tanks in the summer though. I always buy a medium.

Dresses : I love mini's to show off my legs. As long as it isn't low cut in the area I'll wear it.

I'm pear as described above... every thing is toned on my body except my lower stomach (I hate my tummy and no matter how many calories I burn on the machine it is NOT coming off) just that small portion of it, my upper stomach is flat. My fibroid problems does not help me either and the doctor says I need to remove that with surgery and I will have my trim belly (but I am torn as to make that decision or not as I still want my womb).

I have really long legs a good ass (not as perky as I like but OK enough) that kind of hide my tummy fact when wearing the right clothes.

Since I do not wear jeans or pants much, I love pencil skirts and that clinch waist look with wide belts. I also love trapeze dresses or baby-dolls especially that they flair off wider after the breastbone for the shape (covering my problem area).

I am just like this. Its not that i really mind the size of my legs by themselves so much as i hate how UNEVEN i am! UGH. And it seems like EVERYONE everywhere I look is more even than me. I can't complain too much though. There are things i do like about my body. I dress like a total boy sometimes, and since I don't have a boyish figure it doesn't end up looking too butch.

I'm just saying as cheesy as it is, it good to hear someone say exactly what I am thinking about myself.:yahoo:

Ooh that's so cool how we are like identical fruit twins ;) We can secretly diss our unevenness together, lol!

I'm not shaped like a pear, apple or any other kind of fruit :shrugs:

I'm definitely hourglass. My bust and hip measurement are exactly the same and my waist is exactly 10 inches smaller. No matter what size I've been, this hasn't changed. I don't have broad shoulders or a long torso. If anything I'm slightly short waisted and longer legged.

I look best in: a-line knee length skirts and dresses, wide leg trousers or jeans (with heels and a fitted top), wrap dresses, shirt dresses, fitted v-necks, and anything that ties at the waist. The only shorts I can wear are bermuda shorts-- any short shorts and skirts look REALLY obscene on me, as does anything low cut.

My biggest obstacle is finding clothes that fit perfectly-- there's a fine line between frumpy and whoreish when you're super curvy! I also agree with the suggestion to get fitted and buy good quality, perfect-fitting bras. They are SOOOO much more flattering and comfortable! :yes:

I don't know which fruit I am. 5'5 , size 2 and I have D's!!!

Pants:
I have no butt (currently working on gaining weight!!!) I swear by pants with back flap pockets. They make me look like I have a cute little bubble back there. lol.

Ooooh great advice! I never thought of flap pockets before. I don't have a bum, either. It's depressing. Naked, my butt looks like bread dough that's been stepped on. With a crack running through it.

Pear here!!

No matter how much weight I gain or lose, I have a booty and hips. You can kinda see me in my avatar. To top it off, I am all torso...I'm about a 31" inseam and super short arms too. Scottish heritage...thanks Grandma!

My tailor is my best friend. I can't TELL you how much it's worth it to get hems and sleeves taken up just so. Sure, it's pricey but I now weigh the estimated cost of alterations into any of my pants/tops/coat purchases. It's amazing the difference it makes, especially for me with coats and jackets. If the sleeves are too long (usually are) I look shlumpy. But I can't wear petite sizes b/c my shoulders are broad. To give you an idea of how short my arms are, for example, when I take a classic button front dress shirt and fold back the cuffs, unbuttoned, the sleeves are now the right length on me! Funny and sad.

Short legs/booty: wide legged dress slacks or at least with minimal tapering and minimal pleating, hemmed as long as possible. I often get mine nipped in at the small of my back (jeans too) to make sure they don't gap back there. Also, heels, heels, heels or high wedges. I need all the help I can get and a little lift to lengthen my legs balances me out much better.

Darkwash bootcut jeans, not too flared and just below the waist are best on me. Skinny jeans make me look like an ice cream cone.

I'm lucky in that I've got somewhat broad shoulders to balance me out and a 36B bra size (sometimes 34 B depending), but I concentrate on keeping a uniform color head to toe. In my avatar I'm wearing mostly light colors. In the fall/winter I am in mostly black or charcoal grey.

My problem is that my legs are short, but kinda stumpy. I'm very pale and have bigger ankles. I don't do shorts or short dresses because of that.

Just a thought but have you tried ankle boots? They work well with shorts or shorter dresses but would camouflage the area you're not happy with, i.e. your ankles...a pair with a heel would lengthen the look of your leg as well.

default.jpg

Les Prairies des Paris Trotteuses Bootie from LaGarconne.com.

^^ A warning about ankle boots - they cut you off at the, er, ankle so you need killer legs - long and skinny.

To lengthen legs when wearing a skirt, try to wear heels in a nude/brown colour, or something that is not too far from your skin tone. Obviously, you can't wear skin-coloured shoes LOL, but where possible, try to minimise the contrast (for example, forest green is not really going to match your skin tone... nor is blue etc etc).

The second golden rule is to wear a pointed toe - the longer the better, as long as you can manage it. No point looking good of your leg is broken because you've fallen over.

These two tips create the illusion of a longer leg by making your leg look like it ends at your foot, rather than at your ankle.

If you're self conscious about your legs, you can try a boot - does anyone have any good tips for winter boots?

Ooooh great advice! I never thought of flap pockets before. I don't have a bum, either. It's depressing. Naked, my butt looks like bread dough that's been stepped on. With a crack running through it.

Oh you are too hard on yourself! I also have no butt whatsoever but oh well! :shrugs: I would rather have that problem than the opposite problem I think!