Anything interesting about MARYLAND and IDAHO?

1. My new american lecturer at university thought that it would be a great idea to have a short presentation on each american state :hrmm:
    Well... I got Maryland and Idaho, due to Friday and I have no idea what to do, as I don't want it to be too boring (so many presentations in a row, I'm pretty sure the others will fall asleep if I just give them boring facts, kwim?)... is there anything besides the usual facts that I could mention, sth. which is worth to be told to German college students? :graucho:
  2. This may not help you but You should check out the series on the History Channel called "The States". There are 10 parts. We've been watching it along with our boys. You can also purchase the DVD. It's absolutely wonderful. You learn many things about different states that you may not have known before.

Last week they highlighted Louisiana, Vermont and New Mexico. Just wonderful.
    It comes on every Saturday at 9pm Eastern Time.

Oh, I just realized that you are in Good Luck finding info...
  3. Found these two on Maryland

• Maryland is the only state to have developed a distinct breed of dog--the Chesapeake Bay retriever.
    • Maryland has the only official state sport -- jousting.
    Boring but interesting I

The only think I know about Idaho is that the sculpture of Mt. Rushmore is from there ( I do not recall his name right now). I remember because my oldest son had a similar project last year.
  4. Demi moore lived (lives?) in Idaho!!!
  5. Actually, like nearly all places, both have rich and interesting histories. Whatever you do, don't presume that because you know nothing about either location that they must indeed be dull.
  6. Crabcakes and potatoes?
  7. My father's psychotic aunt and cousins are from Maryland. I can give you a wealth of information on them, along with some astounding photographic evidence.

Somehow I don't think you'd want to do a report on this. LOL......

8. Crab cakes and potatoes, respectively.

Oops! I think it must be snacktime!
  9. ^ I third the crabcakes... Maryland blue crab is divine and indigenous to that area. I've seriously gone thru crab withdrawal since moving to the west coast! And don't forget the Old Bay seasoning!!

BTW... aren't Idaho potatoes a kind/species of potato? So it doesn't mean that it's necessarily grown in Idaho, right??
  10. Do a search of the name RANDY WEAVER and read about him. He's infamous and from Idaho.
  11. :roflmfao: I am sorry Irishgal. Multi-tabbed browsing has its downside, and this is not the first time I have opened a thread in a window, read and replied to some other threads, answered the phone, fixed a sandwich and engaged in random eyeshadow experiments before getting back to the various windows...

Anyway, you know what they say - Great minds think alike! :yes:
  12. Interesting MD Facts:
    - The oldest printing newspaper was founded and started in Maryland - the Maryland Gazette
    - There is a University in Maryland (St. John's University of Annapolis) that basis it's studies on the books of the greats. Basically, it's a school for hippies that like to read old books :biggrin:
    - Second wealthiest state in the United States
    - Food & Drug Administration is located in MD, as is the National Institutes of Health
    - Maryland's state sport is Jousting (the thing with the swords where they poke eachother)
    - Every year, St. John's College and the US Naval Academy have a Croquet tournament
  13. - The University of Maryland has a campus in Heidelberg, Germany (where I may finish the Bachelors that I started in the US!)
  14. Come on now, Maryland is hot. You are lucky you didn't get a place like Nebraska. You're going to have pages of info. Just google it.

And yes, we have more than CRABS. Since that's the only thing people mention.
  15. I hate it when people who lived outside of MD used to ask me things like "Do you guys eat Crabs all year?" :rolleyes: