Anyone with Type 2 diabetes?

1. I have Type 2 diabetes and I was wondering how everyone out there is doing with their diabetic diet.
    I exercise almost every day, but I am having a really hard time with the food part of it (surprise, surprise). I have been to classes and nutritionists, but it is the one area that is an issue for me.

How do you monitor your food intake? Carb counting? Food exchange? I find that I am constantly thinking about it and worrying about it. It also doesn't help that I have always had a HUGE sweet tooth! Another part of me feels rebellious and angry...when that happens, I end up grabbing something sweet!

I would love any tips/advice/suggestions. Since diabetes is a chronic disease, I know I have to take it one day at a time. I just want to stay as healthy as possible.
  2. Hi Victo!

While I do not have type 2 diabetes, it runs on both sides of my family and my DH was recently diagnosed with it.

He has been managing it largely through diet and exercise. Exercise is key but you know that ;)

The glycemic index is also a great way to understand how your body's chemical reaction with food can spike blood sugar. Tons of books are available on this :tup:

I generally stick to the same diet as DH in hopes that I can avoid being diagnoised with it (although I know the odds are I will get it): lots of whole grains, beans, veggies, and avoid "quick fire" foods like potatoes and rice and sugars.