Anyone tired of Chanel copiers?

1. I am not talking of fakes or the trickle down effect but it seems like EVERYONE from Marc Jacabs (sorry to MJ fans) has such similar quilted styles and now every watchmaker I can think of has a similar J12 ... what ever happened to originality???
  2. I know that MJ has quilted styles, but they don't really scream "Chanel" to me. Like the Stam, for instance, it's quilted but I would never imagine it's Chanel.

I do agree though that there are many watches "inspired" by the J12. What's important though, is that you know your stuff is Chanel.
  3. agreed !

4. I went into the Charles David shoe store and they had very similar bags to the Chanel luxe flap in black and khaki.
  5. I think most of the top designers get copied by places like Nine West, etc. It's just a fact that it will happen. Personally, I don't really have a problem with it as long as they're not labeling their stuff as Chanel or putting CC logos on their goods (which would then make it a replica, which is a whole different ball park).

Even designers copy each other. I.E. the Murakami Colored Monogram by LV and the Dooney and Bourke "It" Bag.
  6. Charles David has been copying a lot of Chanel bags recently. I saw luxe ligne and Coco Cabas copies, and a few other styles I can't recall. :tdown:

-Stephanie (pond23)
  7. ^^

yea i saw those too! i was really shocked. i thought only companies like forever 21 did blatant copying of designer styles.
  8. yeah i now refuse to go into forever 21. its just so rediculous and they have so many lawsuits against them. i cant stand why people would shop there.

mj doesnt scream tooo chanel to me except for the PCCNY stuff. the double stitching. but i dont know which came first. atleast hes not copying that and styles of the bags.
  9. I walked by a store in New York, I can't remember if it was BeBe or something to that effect but did it SCREAM chanel - suits and pearls and beige and brown and quilted bags ...

I understand when people can't afford stuff ... like I can afford the bags but not a 10,000 suit, but I would rather buy a nice suit that isn't 'inspired' or an outright copy ... rather go to Theory or something like that and get quality ... but that is just me.
  10. I honestly don't think Chanel "owns" tweed and quilting, I have some beautiful blazers that are tweed and maybe inspired by Chanel but are from designers like Walter and brands like BCBG......I don't see anything wrong with Balenciaga and Marc Jacobs doing quilted's when a style is a dead copy though that's were it crosses the line.
  11. I don't think there is anything wrong with other brands using quilting and tweeds just because they are Chanel's trademark styles. There are plenty of designers who use those styles but I don't think they are copying Chanel.
    There will always be the "mall brands" like Nine West and other small retailers who make similar styles who try to use that style to make people buy their stuff but that happens with every large label.
    I think there's a difference between a top designer using the styles as their own, and the small retailers who try to copy the styles to get sales.
  12. I agree completely........looking at my post I'm a terrible speller when I'm rushing inbetween working:p
  13. Um, Chanel isn't exactly innocent of not copying other designers, and I would hardly consider Lagerfeld as the purveyor of originality in fashion.

Designers inspire / are inspired by other designers all the time. That's the nature of the creative process. In fact, according to the BagSnob blog, Chanel has an upcoming pre-Fall bag that is practically an homage to the MJ Stam.