Anyone ship from UK to USA? Who do you use?

I just came across this forum by doing an internet search regarding a problem I had using Royal Mail Airsure from the UK to San Diego, California. This was not for a purse, but for expensive overnight train tickets. I want to caution you all about using Airsure--my friend in the UK who posted the train tickets was told that Airsure was the fastest (would arrive 1 day earlier than regular AirMail) and best way to send them--and that it could be tracked and would cost about $20 US plus extra for insurance vs. $66 US for FedEx (which I had originally preferred).

The tickets were posted Airsure on March 29. Nothing came up on the Airsure tracking except that they were received and on their way to the USA. I also checked the USPS tracking and it said it had never heard of the tracking number. I was panicking.

The tickets FINALLY arrived today--April 10, 12 days later! My friend checked with the UK post office and was told the package hadn't even shipped until April 1, and who knows where it was for 9 days. The tracking system is a farce.

I urge you all not to use Airsure--I certainly never would again! It's a rip-off and misleading!

Sharon in San Diego

although i sympathise with your situation, i don't think it would have been airsure specific. i forgot my diary in london and my flatmate posted it on the 20th or so of february and when it hadn't arrived after a couple of weeks (it was only going to denmark) i started to get worried and we both made enquiries at our ends to see where it was. they finally found it about two weeks ago. turns out it had been sitting in the post office in london and they never sent it on. and then they wouldn't send it to me anymore because the postage had expired :wtf: AND she had to argue with them for about half an hour to get a refund :cursing:

so yes, delays happen but it probably doesn't have anything to do with what service you choose. the royal mail in general is rubbish, especially now for some strange reason.

Update

Well, after sending the Paddy by International Signed For (3rd April), the package arrived yesterday (12th April).

I was told by the Post Office that yes, I would be able to track it on USPS once it left the UK. This was not the case at all. I tracked it on the Royal Mail site up until it said "it is on it's way and has been handed over..." (not verbatim). But, from then on, NOTHING on USPS! "No record of this item" :wtf:

I quietly got stressed every time I tried to track the parcel and I didn't say anything about it here as I thought - well, it won't change anything will it? And I could get myself more paranoid or force reassurances out of you poor guys!

Anyway, all's well that ends well I suppose. I just wish there was a more reliable service - that didn't cost ££££ and was easy to use.

And The Post Office is in financial trouble eh? Wonder why... :cursing:

i just bought a pair of jimmy choos from the UK and are being delivered to the US via Royal Mail international signed for. well, both the seller AND the royal mail website stated that shipments to the US should take about 5 business days. However, the seller sent out the item Thursday March 23. By Saturday, March 24, the royal mail website said the following:
Your item, posted on 23/03/07 with reference RI949066038GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

However, its been more than a week, and I still have not received it. any ideas why? the usps website does not recognize the tracking number, and when i called them, they said it cannot be tracked until delivered. should i be worried?

for your (and the buyer's) piece of mind, use something thats trackable

Normally if it is sent trackable by USPS you can ask for USPS site to email you with activity to date, or future activity. You can only choose one, so I would suggest you do activity to date, and once that email has arrived, changed your tracking to future activity.

Also if you go to www.parcelforce.com you can use the same tracking number and it will let you know where it is etc.

At the minute though there appears to be a general problem with a lot of websites and I am not sure why, parcelforce is also playing up, as are a few others.

Keep on trying.