Anyone lift heavy weights at the gym?

1. Just curious about who lifts heavy weights at the gym, and I thought we could start a discussion on it. I started training with a personal trainer at my gym, and trying to build more muscle. How do you motivate yourself to lift a lot? I am a little overly-cautious and feel like I'm preventing myself from doing what I want to do.

2. I finally got into the weights area at the end of last year... I told my trainer theres no way in hell im going to go into that area because all the guys in there look so scary and HUGE and they're fricken HOT :shame:! But since I've been pumping weights its been quite good - I can see a lot of change in my arms - thank god...

How do you motivate yourself to lift a lot? well, if I don't keep lifting my arms are going to turn back into the gross-ness of not being toned looking! So, that's what keeps me going! :nuts:

If you feel overly-cautious... are you worried about doing it wrong? OR maybe you should ask a friend or fellow gym member to spot you so you can do it right :nuts: and enjoy doing weights.

Take care and have fun working out!!! :wlae:

3. ^^ Well, my trainer always spots me. Maybe I am just lazy! I definitely see a difference, some nice definition starting to appear.

4. you might enjoy reading this thread from a few months ago

http://forum.purseblog.com/health-and-fitness/who-likes-to-lift-heavy-185681-4.html

as sort of an update from what I posted in that thread, obviously it got cold so we had to take my workouts inside, so I started lifting a lot more weight. it's pretty amazing how fast the progression goes when you are consistent.

in terms of motivation, I definitely get motivated by simply the results I see and the little victories in each workout. the other day my trainer quietly tells me to take a look at this guy bench pressing. he says, LOOK, he's got much less weight on there than you do! that made my week!! right now I'm deadlifting about 135 pounds (I weigh from 110-120), which my trainer says is the weight he starts his reps at, so that also makes me determined to keep improving. pretty much any time he thinks I can do something, I refuse to not be able to do it.

I can also do pull-ups now unassisted, and that's a huge motivating factor for me because if I skip even a week, I can no longer do them, and I really love the fact that I can do them in the first place.

5. I do, but only once a week. That's all my trainer says I should do. The only way I'm motived is because I have a trainer.

6. That rocks! :boxing:

Lifting heavy is great. It challenges you, and IMO, keeps you motivated. You're constantly challenging yourself to increase the weight on the bar. I started lifting heavier about four years ago, and the changes I saw were beyond positive. It became addicting. Not to mention that lifting heavier weights increases your metabolism - the more muscle you add to your frame, the higher your RMR (resting metabolic rate) and the more calories you burn at rest.

Make sure that you find a trainer or someone who can spot you while you get used to lifting heavy.

A few weeks ago I was doing the squat press machine, and someone came up to me and said, "I've never seen a woman do that much weight on this machine. That's amazing, good for you." :shame: It makes you feel strong, healthy and fit - which is great! :nuts:

I'm all for chucking the pink dumbbells out the window :p

7. I've been lifting weights on and off for several years, usually light to medium loads. About 4 months ago I decided to go heavier and to really push myself. I'll be 40 next year and my body has never looked better. My figure actually got curvier from lifting heavy. I was a bit too petite and little girl looking before.

I like lifting weights, so I don't need much to stay motivated.

8. i was lifting heavy a few years ago. well, on my way to it anyway. i got some great definition and felt like every workout was a gain. this site (http://stumptuous.com/cms/index.php) really helped me in building a workout plan and staying motivated. i was actually much more motivated on weight days than cardio days. lifting is such a high.

i really need a new gym membership.

9. ^ Krista's Web site rocks! It's a great resource for women who are new to lifting.

10. A common misconception I hear from women is fear of getting "too big". Nope, not gonna happen and building muscle mass takes time. It doesn't happen over night. You can always stop increasing the weights if you feel like you are getting too big, which is highly unlikely anyway.

11. OMG thanks so much everyone! It is inspiring to hear all this! I really want it to work out and make a difference in my body, so that is motivation, as well.

For those of you that lift, how often do you do weight training per week?

Mundodabolsa and ilzabet, I will also check out those links, thank you!

12. BTW my trainer is a power lifter! Luckily he can easily spot me because he can lift like 10x what I can right now lol.

13. for me only twice a week because that's all I can afford with my trainer and I simply prefer doing it with him instead of on my own. I think once it gets warm again I may go to three though, it's just hard because we train on tues and fri so it's impossible to find a day that's not back-to-back unless you train on sunday :push:

on days that I'm not doing an official lifting workout I still do lots of pushups and much lighter stuff in some of the classes at my gym as more maintenance work.

14. I lift 2-4 times a week, it depends on the other types of exericse/sports I'm doing during the week. For awhile weight lifting was primary form of exercise because I was getting a bit addicted to it. But now I'm in more of a maintenance phase. Still it's a rush to be able to go a bit heavier, increase reps or master a more challenging exercise (like one legged dead lifts).

Besides just liking weight lifting so much the superficial benefits are so obvious. Nothing like freestanding squats with a 50 pound bar to shape my backside! IMO, nothing beats heavy weightlifting for total body shaping.

15. My trainer makes me lift weights during our sessions too! I usually meet with her 2 to 3 times a week. And it's not all we do but we do spend some time doing that. For me it is difficult lifting some of the weights (they feel really heavy to me and she doesn't let me get away with going too light) but she motivates me and pushes me to do it! It's all worth it in the end though because it's great for building muscle and for shaping! On the days I don't meet with my trainer and I'm on my own I usually tend to do more cardio though!