Food Anyone here uses slow cookers/crock pots?

Mar 24, 2007
I'm thinking about buying a slow cooker/crock pot. I'm Indian so of course I cook Indian food, it just seems a little easier for me to throw everything together at once and give myself a break. Anyone here have a recommendation for a good one?

I have an oval 6 qt Rival crockpot. It came with 3 different stoneware inserts-- two little ones and one big one. So that way, you can make one large dish OR you can do two smaller dishes at once. That has really come in handy...

Mine is a Rival too. My mom bought it for me quite some time ago. haven't used it in over a year, it was handy when I was in school too. Maybe I'll have to drag it out...

I just used mine two nights ago for the first time in a long time. It is so handy that I plan to use it more often through the winter.

I love my rival smart pot. It has a keep warm setting, so you can set it for 4-8 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. After the time is up, it automatically goes to the keep warm setting. I've used my 3 times in the last 4 days.

I have had my Rival 6QT for about 10 years now. It is great for making roasts, and I use it all the time for chili. A slow cooker is great for cheaper cuts of meat, it really softens them.

I generally sear the meat in a pan before adding it to the slow cooker, it gives it a better flavor and removes most of the fat. I made the mistake once of putting a rather fatty roast in without searing it, or removing a lot of the fat. It all melted off while cooking and everything was greasy. :rolleyes:

I've been seriously thinking about getting one too. Do you think they are really safe enough to leave on during the day when no one is home? That's my only concern.

I've been seriously thinking about getting one too. Do you think they are really safe enough to leave on during the day when no one is home? That's my only concern.

They are absolutely safe! I made a pot roast with mine not too long ago and set it on slow (6-8 hrs) and went out with DH and DS's and when we came home dinner was already waiting for us! I plan to use it more too now that the cooler weather is coming and it's great for warm, comfort food!:tup:

They are absolutely safe! I made a pot roast with mine not too long ago and set it on slow (6-8 hrs) and went out with DH and DS's and when we came home dinner was already waiting for us! I plan to use it more too now that the cooler weather is coming and it's great for warm, comfort food!:tup:
Thanks for answering! I think I'll go ahead and get one this weekend. It seems like such a convenient way to cook dinner since I never feel like cooking anyway. LOL!

Thanks for answering! I think I'll go ahead and get one this weekend. It seems like such a convenient way to cook dinner since I never feel like cooking anyway. LOL!

I hear ya! :lol: A lot of times I don't feel like cooking too and a crockpot is so easy, it practically cooks the meal for us. Good luck!

I've been wondering the same thing lately... and one other than Sandra Lee on FN. I usually just try to adapt casseroles- like chicken and rice and stews for the crock pot. But, I looked on Amazon and there were some books called "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes" that looked interesting.

My DH and I went to the mall today and I was all set to buy a slow cooker, but the only one we saw at Williams Sonoma was something like $400!:nuts: Bloomies had one made by Cuisinart, but for some reason it didn't seem "right". I'll go on-line later tonight and see if I can't find the Rival brand that so many of you helpful posters use.