Anyone here an expert on tanzanite?

1. My husband bought me a beautiful ring while we were on vacation. We did receive a card with specfications, etc., but I would like to get an opinion on the quality of the stone (color). I have yet to find a jeweler in our area that knows a lot about tanzanite. Most stones here in the States are light colored.

2. got pics? :smile:

3. :roflmfao: Just this one.... my batteries are charging right now.
    tanzring.jpg

And adding this one: P1010001.jpg

4. I thought that the darker colored Tanzanites were more valuable stones. Yours looks to be very good quality to me!

5. Yes, that's what I was told too. I took it to a very high end jeweler and the woman who looked at it said: "that looks too dark for tanzanite, it looks like a sapphire...." I'd like to get an appraisal, but hard to find someone who really knows their stuff.

6. Looks very nice. It should be dark with a hint of purple just like yours is.

7. beautiful :love: . wanna trade hubby's???

8. i wouldn't say i'm an expert but i do know the darker the better. that looks like a beautiful ring, i would definitely get it appraised

9. got pics? :roflmfao:

Thank you ~ the hard part is finding someone to do the appraisal. I don't want an inflated insurance appraisal, just a confirmation of retail value I guess.

10. Although I have a few tanzanite pieces I don't consider myself an expert. From what I understand the darker the stone the more valuable it is. I have a ring, earrings, bracelet, pendant, and a slide in tanzanite. Your ring is beautiful! Congrats and enjoy!

11. Tanzanite has also become more and more popular...which also means it's gotten more valuable. Just a year or two ago a strand of faceted tanzanite beads might have cost me $30 or $40 WHOLESALE. This year, the last show I went to, they were up to over $100 for one strand at wholesale price.

Just make sure that whoever you get your stones from (any stone type) tells you exactly how the stone was treated. If they do not disclose treatments they are being unethical and it's illegal for them not to.

Let us know how it turns out!

12. All tanzanite is heat treated. The rough is brownish and heat gives it the blue/purple color. Look at pricescope.com for more info.

13. The color looks very good,the finest quality tanzanite will run about $1,000 a carat.All rough is brown and under goes a heat treatment but the better the roughs properties the better the final color results.The best tanzanite will result in a deep blue purple with red flashes in just the right light.

Just a heads up,never clean your tanzanite ring in an ultrasonic cleaner it will shatter the stone.On the Mohs scale it rates about a 5 to 6 it's a beautiful but soft stone and scratches easily as well.

14. oh very nice, its such a beautiful ring, congratulations on a fab purchase!