Anyone having problems with water consumption during pregnancy?

1. I am having the strangest time being able to tolerate water. Actually, I keep thinking it smells funny and then I start gagging. We have a water filter and I never had this problem before I got pregnant.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm worried that I am not drinking enough, but I'm not sure what to do.

Also, I'm not one to put lemon in my water to flavor it:tdown:
  2. I haven't had it with drinking water, but I mostly drink Pellegrino at home, not tap water. I do feel like I notice the chlorine or sulfur smell in my bath water lately, which I never did before. At work, I've been getting bottles of organic juice concentrate at Whole Foods and putting a little bit of those in -- nowhere near the amount they say to make up juice, but just enough to give it a little flavor. My store has cherry, cranberry, and pomegranate concentrate, all 100% juice and organic. I also sometimes use organic lime juice, but I know you didn't want to do lemon. I've also been doing a lot of herbal tea, but my doctor is really encouraging me to drink water instead, even though the tea is herbal.
  3. For me, having water ice cold (with our without the ice cubes still in it when I drank it) made a huge difference. I craved ice-cold water, but tepid - blech. Gag.

Also, best to check on the herbal tea thing... my docs said many herbal teas were an absolute NO. Some were of particular worry (echinecia, for instance).
  4. I can't handle tap water, unless it has a flavored drink mix inside.
  5. Yup! I noticed that I don't drink water that much now that I am pregnant. I know it's bad that is why I make a conscientious effort to drink water even if I am not thirsty. If I notice I haven't drank water in, let's say, an hour.. I make myself drink at least a glass or two of water because I know it's important.

I don't know why it's like that this time around that I am pregnant. :shrugs:

With my 1st pregnancy, I wasn't like this.. now, with my 2nd pregnancy.. I like to drink decaffeinated sodas, milk chocolates and teas instead of just plain water.
  6. ^^I know, with my last pregnancy I drank water constantly and I LOVED sucking on Ice Chips. I don't know if it had something to do with living in Arizona and it just being so dry, but it wasn't the issue that it is now.

Now, on the other hand, NOTHING seems to sound good to me to drink. The one thing that I thought sounded good was Tonic water. I drank .5 liter and then started to wonder what the Quinine in it was. So I looked it up and it turns out that Quinine is an active ingredient in the Morning After Pill!!!! Good thing I discovered that after one small bottle...Yikes!
  7. yep, sorry. Should have been clearer. When I mentioned herbal teas, I meant something like Tazo orange or passion, where there's very little/no actual herbal-ness involved. Basically rose hips, hibiscus flowers, orange peel, and flavor. Though my doctor's only concern was more that even some of the herbal teas can dehydrate you, I wouldn't drink any of them that have more active herbs in them (no comfrey, willow bark, etc. especially)
  8. OMG yes I thought that I was the only one. I started drinking flavoured water, make sure it doesn't have aspertame. Apparently there is something that links it to birth defects. I don't know that for sure that is just what someone told me. But then I started to get a lot of heart burn from some of the citrus. I then switched to gatorade/powerade. The doctor told me to do it because I was always thirsty no more how much water I drank. He also said kids drinks like pedialite.
  9. If you don't like lemon or lime, try orange or strawberries even. Making it Ice cold helps also. The other thing I would check is Smart Water. That has tons of electrolytes. Check with your doctor on that. Bubble water like peligrino may help, but watch out for sodium. Now that they have these drink packets for water bottles, like crystal lite, try those. I was also strongly warned against tea.
  10. In my first trimester I couldn't handle water. I had to add those little crystal light packets to every bottle of water. now the crystal light packets make me sick just thinking about them lol. but it got easier since then and i now drink 10 bottles a day. yes, lots. and yes i pee a TON. and many people say that its too much but i asked my dr. and he didn't seem too concerned. it seems if i don't drink that much i get thirsty because i've been doing it for months and i think i'm used to that much now.
  11. I had the same problem too with both of my pregnancies. Then I switched to sparkling water and then I could drink water again.
  12. What a fabulous idea!!! Thanks! I've been putting one Kool-Aid single into at 32 oz. water bottle. I've been desperate to find something a bit healthier but seems all of the stuff I find in the store has artificial sweetner in it. I'm going to my health food store right after work! :woohoo::woohoo:
  13. Yep! I didn't have this problem with my first two, but for some reason i can't stand the taste of water and everyone thinks i'm just being dramatic. The only water i seem to be able to tolerate is Fiji and even then it has to be ice cold so i usually leave a couple bottles in the freezer. I can't put ice in my water because when it starts to melt i can taste it. Wow i just thought it was all in my head, but now i see others are having the same problem.
  14. I never had problems with it. I just had to remind myself to stay hydrated, even though it was really annoying to go pee every couple of minutes. It was worth it though :love:
  15. Yeah I remember when I was pregnant everything smelt so strong. Try & drink really weak sugar free squash if you can. XXX