Anyone have a dog that overcame shyness?

1. There's a 1.5 year old dog I'm thinking of purchasing. She has the sweetest, most docile personality and I wouldn't even have to think about it if she hadn't been shy when I went to see her while the owner's other dogs were happy and fearless. She's not terrified, but wouldn't come close, even though it looked like she wanted to. I'm confident the reason she is this way is not due to abuse (so it's not trauma), but lack of being socialized. She did warm up to me a bit by the end of my visit (quit shaking and licked my hand a little), but I'm also looking for a dog that would be outgoing enough to greet vistors of my dad's who's in a wheelchair and sleeps alot. His previous pom had so much energy, so I'm kind thinking of him also since he seems to brighten up with the excitement. I'm in a dilemma, wondering if I should take a chance with her or keep up my search. If it seems like this could be overcome with alot of exposure to other dogs & people, I'd love to adopt her. Any experiences like this, good or bad? Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. One of my beagles was most likely abused before we adopted her, and she has really come out of her shell since we first got her. She was pretty shy and very submissive, but has really come around. She's still pretty submissive, but she doesn't act scared of people anymore and is happy every time she makes a new friend (especially if they'll rub her belly). Of course, all dogs are different and have different reasons for being this way, so you never know. Good luck!
  3. Believe me, they get over their shyness real quick once they learn to trust you. Its probably got to do her position in the pack with the other dogs. Sweet & docile is a good combination!
    Sounds like a good match for your dad.
  4. One of my dogs is like this. Has always been. She is only comfortable once she gets to know someone. Once she gets behind closed doors of my house, she is a maniac. LOL I don't think (in my case) that it is socialization. She has been around other dogs all her life. She just is cautious around people, not other animals. So I think all dogs are different.
  5. My eldest Sheltie, Kennedy, is extremely shy (unsual for this breed). He actually suffers from anxiety when his routine is disrupted. He's on meds for this....

We've had him since he was a I know it isn't because he was abused...its just his nature. He was the runt of the I think he did get pushed around and probably not as socialized when he was still with his biological mamma...

Thats Kennedy in the pic below...he's quite the Mommy's Boy...(I don't mind)hehehhe
  6. Amen! One of my dogs started out really shy for a while. Socialization helped, but consistency helped more. She's known as the LOVER at our Petsmart.

Good luck! The atmosphere you provide can do a lot for any doggie to come out of their shell! It's wonderful that you're doing this.

:heart: BL
  7. oh you must get her! She will be fine once she knows she can trust you etc. good luck x
  8. I am sure with some work she will be fine, someone else said it could be the pecking order of the house she is in.

Have you taken her for a walk at all with just you and her to see what she is like just the 2 of you, or going past people in the street.
  9. Thanks for the suggestions!

OK, the lady let me try her out for a few days. She seems to be coming around a teeny bit but OMG, it was a nightmare trying to get her to come to me so I could take her out for a potty break. I took me so long and I had to literally corner and nab her after she was darting in and out from under the bed and me crawling under there to try and get to her. I'm not sure if I can keep her in the bedroom for the time being in fear I'll never beable to catch her. Then on the leash she was ok this morninig, still shaking but not like before. Later, I took her for a car ride, then took her out on the leash again when something freaked her out (not sure what since there was nothing or noises around) and it was sooo hard to get her to calm down so I could even pick her up. If anyone saw that video where Pinky the cat was up for adoption and went went ballistic ( ), that's how it literally was, except the digging in of the claws. LOL. I was terrified the leash was going to come apart.

I think I could work with her to the point she'd be ok with me, but I'm just afraid she'll continue to be skiddish with others, and since my mom will be watching her at times also I'd be too nervous she wouldn't beable to catch her! Plus she's a 75 y/o woman so it would even be harder. She seems like a wonderful 1 person dog, but I'm still not sure if she can be responsive to others, even if they're in the same household. I don't have high hopes that she would ever feel comfortable enough to even sit on my dad's lap. I've also adopted several dogs, rescues and others with different personalities so I'm not an inexperienced dog owner, but never so extreme.

This lady's other dogs were so outgoing and friendly but she's an exception. She never planned on letting her go so didn't really socialize her, but was suddenly faced with financial problem so hoped she would be a good fit for our family, plus she thought she'd be a good therapy dog.

Here's a picture of her. She looks content here:

10. She's a cutie. She will be much easier for you to catch if you leave a leash on her. Much easier to step on a leash running away than grab a puppy!
  11. One of my chi's was a little like that when we got her. She was 6 months and she was socialized but she was very skidish around strangers. She is still submissive but she is very open and loving with us (me and my dh). She is very skidish around other people. She is 2 and we are still working with her. Your friends and family must also be willing to work with the new pup just as much.
  12. She's adorable!

My mom had a dog that originally was my grandmother's dog before she died. She had wandered onto my grandmother's property (she lived out in the country) and she took her in. She was very skiddish but eventually became the sweetest most loving dog ever. She still had nervous problems with a few things. Like flashing light or if you cocked a gun, she'd take off running. We guess she may have been abused by hunters but we never knew for sure. But she definitely warmed up to people!
  13. I do this with new puppies and it helps them bond with you. You can also do this in your situation but you have to be consistent. Keep her on a leash at all times. This means when you are watching TV, cooking, puttering around the house, etc. I'd also suggest you try crate training in combination with this. If you need to do something or go somewhere where the leashing isn't feasible, then you can walk her into her crate (on the leash). This will be a challenge if she's never been crated, but it's in her and your best interest. My new fur baby is a rescue. When we got her, she was around 6 months old (and a stray) so had plenty of time to learn a lot of bad habits. Putting her in her crate was impossible without walking her over to it on her leash. You have to keep a calm, happy attitude about this and be sure to have a treat in the crate for her. Gracie was a real challenge to be crate trained since her only experience with being in a crate was at Animal Control. She still doesn't like it (because it means we're leaving), but she goes along with it.

In time you should be able to do away with the inside leashing. You'll know when that time is. Once your new baby identifies you as the "alpha dog" and trusts you, she'll want to stick close to you. By chasing her the way you are doing now, you're only making her not trust you and reinforcing the fearful behavior.

All of these training techniques will help your new fur baby to trust you. Alway be calm, but firm. Reinforce any behavior that meets your approval. Try keeping a package of doggie treats within reach. Provide her proper discipline, protection and love. I guarantee she'll come out of her shell in short order. Gracie certainly has and we've only had her three months!! :nuts:

14. Thanks for the responses and Gracie is just gorgeous! I saw a dog like her a couple of days ago at the park and she was the most beautiful, loving dog. I had a moment of jealousy.

It was a catch 22. She's housetrained well, so she'd tell me she had to go but I couldn't get close enough to let her ouside. Thats where the dragging leash worked well.

She's doing so much better with me after about a week. I can let her run around without her leash and comes back on demand. If anything scares her, she tends to not run away but hide behind me...also, she actually gets excited to see me and has started barking (at my mom too). I swear, as normal as that is for a dog, they were big steps for her. Her shaking has pretty much stopped, but when someone else is in the room she shivers a bit. She did great with DH when I was gone for a while, but then was afraid of him when I'd come back. Now, I have to work on her getting used to the rest of the family and socializing with new people & dogs. I took her to the local dog park and she was afraid of a 2 lb yorkie and kept trying to hang onto me in fear of that cute little thing. LOL.

I do appreciate the tips and every bit has helped her in some way. I've decided to keep her since she's a normal trusting dog with me now, so I have high hopes of her working out, atleast with the family which is most important right now.
  15. hey surferchick, so glad to hear it's worked out well so far!! congrats!! it's always great to give a doggie a loving permnanent home!! i hope she does well with the rest of your family. she seems to have made alot of progress and hopefully that's an indication that she'll adjust with time and be a comfort and pal for your dad!