anyone from DC?

1. My hubby is here on a business trip and I tagged along. We are here until next Sunday. We went to lunch and shopped in Georgetown today. We have seen all the sights (memorials, etc...) on our past trips. Any suggestions of restaurants or favorite shops I should visit?

Or does anyone want to meet for coffee sometime this week?

I'd love to get out of the hotel.... :smile:

2. I work in Downtown DC, I wish I could meet you for lunch but I have to work :sad2: unless your hotel is near the 900 block of Pennsylvania Ave (maybe I could sneak out) What types of food do you guys like? There is so many places to visit or eat.

Have you had a chance to visit the Smithsonian? Also, the metro system here can take you anywhere and everything is well marked. For example, you can take the metro to Pentagon City in VA which is not to bad of a place to shop, you do not even have to walk outside - just up the escalators and you will enter the mall. You can also take the metro to the Washington zoo if you want to do something different and we are supposed to have nice weather.

Anyway, enjoy your stay.

3. Alexandria is really nice. Take the Metro to King Street and it's a short walk to some nice boutique shops and dining.

4. Go to my parents' restaurant in Arlington! It's right across from the Clarendon Metro stop on the... orange line, I believe. It's Persian cuisine and the restaurant is called Kabob Bazaar - check out our website http://www.kabobbazaar.com - made by yours truly! :smile:

Oh, and as far as shopping... you MUST MUST MUST go to Tysons Galleria. That's my heaven... but hell, even Tysons I is a great place to go now... so much to do there. So many restaurants, bars, shops, etc etc.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in the area!

5. Definitely go to downtown Bethesda. Plenty of boutiques and restaurants. Stay on Wisconsin Avenue (Maryland side) and you'll see Saks, LV, Chanel, Burberry, Filene's, Loehmann's, Versace etc. etc.
    For lunch, go down to Lauriol Plaza in Adam's Morgan (they have a website) and sit on the rooftop and enjoy their ceviche (my favorite) and margorita. For dinner, try the DC Chophouse on 7th St., NW. If you want to splurge on dinner, go to the Citronelle in Georgetown. Great food but quite pricey. I have run into many top politicians there like Tom Ridge, Rumsfeld, etc. Have fun.

I would love to meet up with you but I have a busy and tight schedule this week. Let me know if you need any more information.

6. You should also visit Chevy Chase...take the red line to Friendship Heights. There is Neiman's, Saks, Tiffanys, LV, Barney's COOP, etc.

Food-wise, I really love tapas, and Jaleo near Gallery Place is really delicious.

7. leila i've been to your parent's restaurant many times:smile:

8. u should go to Skydome at night. It's a spin around restaurant/bar on top of the double tree hotel across from the Pentagon. From there, you will have the most fantastic view of DC at nite. Have a good time!

9. If you like French food, I highly recommend Marcel's - its a bit pricey though. Zaytinya is great for Lebanese/middle eastern style mezza, its in Gallary Place Chinatown.

The Dupont circle area is a fun place to walk around and people watch. People often hang around by the fountain in the evenings. Bistro du Coin in Dupont has good French food, its more casual than Marcel's - i.e. mussels and fries. Kramer's bookstore and cafe in Dupont is a fun place to check out, the food is good and you can browse books as well. I also like an Asian restaurant by Kramer's, its called Raku.

A favorite Indian restaurant of the Clinton's was the Bombay Club, its a little upscale in decor but not that expensive. They have great food and a really fun coffee desert drink that they light on fire. Its located Downtown, close to the White House.

There are some great Southern upscale restaurants, i.e. Georgia Brown's, its downtown. DC Coast has good seafood, its a little stark inside though, but it does serve New Orlean's style donuts - the pastry chef is from there.

Anyways, you can also check out Washingtonian.com for restaurant reviews.

As for shopping, Tysons is hard to get to, unless you drive. I would recommend Friendship Heights metro for the Chevy Chase area, it has a new Gucci store, as well as some upscale stores. Pentagon City is ok, but its basically an indoor mall, full of teenagers, in my opinion. Filene's Basement is all over downtown and fun to check out.

I'm close to L'Enfant Plaza, so I can meet for coffee if you're staying around here.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

10. Leila,

I'm going to have to check out your parent's restaurant. I'm 1/2 Persian!

11. Thanks everyone. I found INTERMIX yesterday! :smile: What a great store!! I am excited to try out the places you guys suggested! I've sat in the hotel all day today so I look forward to getting out! :smile:

Thanks again!!