Anyone from Chicago?

1. I'm doing a project/report on a city before and after. The before part basically means the history of it and the after means what the city and life in it is like today. I chose Chicago and since I don't know anybody who lives in Chicago and I've never been there I was wondering if someone here who lives on Chicago could help me out a bit with the after part (the before part was easy since it was all history). Thanks!
  2. I think Chicago is very metropolitan. It is like NYC in a lot of ways, but has its advantages and disadvantages over NYC. Chicago has a good subway system called the L (for "elevated" because most of the trains run above ground, actually about 20 or 30' above ground) which is organized like a system of spokes. All of the trains come into downtown and go around in a circle, sharing the same track, and then go back out on their spoke. This area is called "the loop".

Chicago is also a very clean city. Unlike in NYC, there is a lot less trash floating around and you don't end up covered in dirt at the end of the day.

Chicago is in the midwest, and people are generally considerate and friendly. This is similar to being in the south to me. Not like in NYC where everyone is pushy and unfriendly.

Chicago is on Lake Michigan, which is really beautiful and huge. It is a freshwater lake, and sometimes it freezes in the winter. Lots of people in Chicago keep sailboats and go sailing on the lake in the summer. There are also beaches along the lake and people sit out and sun themselves, play beach volleyball, and use the lakefront trail for running and biking.

Chicago also has a lot of ethnic diversity, but there are definite enclaves of specific ethnicities in different areas of the city.

The Daley family has been really important in the history of Chicago. The current Mayor Daley is the son of Chicago's former mayor, and they have held the mayorship for a really long time.

I think Chicago is not the capital of Illinois; the capital is Springfield. However, Chicago is by far the largest city in Illinois. I think at least half of the voting population of Illinois lives in Chicago. Chicago is the third largest city in the US, after NYC and LA. Chicago has the nickname of "The Second City," because it used to be the second largest city after NYC, and it is said that Chicago had an inferiority complex over this. Tangential to this, there is a very famous comedy club in Chicago called The Second City, from which many famous comedians have come. In recent history, Steve Carrell, Steven Colbert, Amy Sedaris, and Tina Fey, among others. Back a few decades ago, former members of the second city started SCTV, a precursor to Saturday Night Live. Other Second City alums include Bill Murray, John Candy, John Belushi, Mike Myers, etc. You might be able to find a comprehensive list online.

Hope this helps.
  3. Thank you ^^ so much!!!