Anyone ever close a car door on their thumb?...........

1. UGH! Yesterday I closed the car door on my thumb. I don't know how i managed to get it out it all happened so quickly! It was sheer agony & I thought that I was going to pass out! I didn't sleep last night with the pain & today it is throbbing & horribly swollen. Of course the nail now is almost completely black.
    The ironic thing is that last September I was feeding the dog some titbit & he was so anxious that he snapped & bit my other thumb instead of the food LOL I had a horrible purple mark on my nail just until a few weeks ago when it grew out. Only this week I said to my daughter "Thank goodness it is all gone now I can go back to my French manicure instead of dark nail varnish" & lo & behold this happens.
    Am I now faced with another 7 months of heavy nail polish or does anyone have any experience of getting rid of nail bruising quickly?????
    Probably a stupid question but worth a try I cannot face another 7 months with an ugly nail!

2. Nope bcuzz it was actually my COUSIN who slammed the door on mine. And YESYESYES it hurt like you know what. We were @ the club and thank goodness I didn't have on fake nails! She ruined the 1st half of my night bcuzz all I could think about was that thumb of mine. But I couldnt get too mad bcuzz she had drove me all the way to Houston just so we could have a good time.

3. Oh I forgot while my thumb was hung off in her heavy Chrysler door she had just put the alarm on and couldn't find her keys........

I didnt put anything on it -I just had to wait and let it grow out naturally. Some ppl say use lemon juice but I dont know how that is gonna help. Who wants to submerge their injured finger in stinging lemon juice anyway?

4. so this has worked for me and a number of people i know.

the "black" under your nail is blood.

Heat the end of a bent paper clip (or a similar size metal wire) over an open flame until it is red hot. Use a pair of pliers to hold the paper clip during sterilization.
    While it is still very hot, touch the tip of it to the injured fingernail. This is not a painful procedure for most people.
    The heat of the clip will burn a small hole in the fingernail. It is not necessary to press hard on the fingernail to burn a hole. (Another technique is to drill a small hole in the nail by twirling a scalpel blade, sharp knife, or needle.)
    As the paper clip is removed, blood should start releasing through the small hole. If not, retry the procedure until blood comes out and pressure is relieved.
    The pain will be relieved as the pressure is released. Soak the injured finger in warm water with a few drops of disinfectant for 20 minutes, 4 times a day, for 2 days.
    This procedure can be repeated, if necessary, if the hole closes over and the pressure rebuilds.

5. Oh I will try this would try anything to get rid of ugly bruise. thanks! Sorry you suffered this also, it is just so incredibly painful!

6. Thanks so much this makes sense, I will certainly try it when the pain dies down a bit! Sounds a bit painful right now while my thumb is still throbbing! :smile:

7. my son did....he ended up with a cast for 6 weeks because it split the top of his bone....poor guy :sad:

8. OMG so sorry. my son was with me he wanted me to go to A&E, I said NO!!!! I hope my bone not damaged! Too swollen & sore to bend & see if I can move or not :sad:

9. OMG Yes I did do that when I was about 8 years old. I was playing with the car door when my dad went into the store and slammed my thumb in the door. He came back to me screaming. I guess I was in shock because I didn't even open the door to get it out! I lost my whole nail! UGh It grew back fine though and have never had any issues with it! Good Luck!

10. Sorry that happened you, I so hope my nail doesn't come off, cannot bear to think about that! I am a coward when it comes to those things!

11. Oh my gosh, BagAngel, I am so sorry. Yes, I had this exact same thing happen to me when I was a little girl and I still remember it like it happened yesterday. I seriously think it was one of the most painful things I've yet to experience in my life. My entire thumbnail turned black and when it was about half way grown out the top half fell off.

I think I'd have a doctor perform the blood release. If you got even the smallest amount of bacteria under there there's a good chance you could lose your entire nail forever. I've heard that it does provide quite a bit of relief, though.

I hope your thumb is feeling better soon. If your stomach handles Ibuprofen well you should probably take 600mg to 800mg every 6 to 8 hours to help with the pain and inflammation -- just make sure you eat food along with the Ibuprofen.

So sorry!! :flowers:

12. I hope you don't lose yours either!! Let me tell you though it felt much better after the nail came off and it healed great! There's hope! :nuts:

13. PAIN!!! Just this past weekend my son got 3 of his fingers slammed in the car door, the car door shut all the way, we had to open it to get his hand out, The look on his face was shock:shocked: and then he started to scream:crybaby: :cry: and cry!!! I felt so bad for him, the pain was awful, 2 fingers have a cut on them and are blue, purple and swollen. He does feel better now.

14. I would suggest doing it as soon as possible. Making the hole in your nail to let the blood out will actually relieve the pain. Making the hole doesn't hurt at all.

15. she is right.

also take some Ibprophein to reduce swelling.