Anyone ever been to Tahiti?

1. I'm thinking about going to Tahiti sometime next year. I was wondering if any TPF members have been and could give me any helpful information in making my decision. Also, one issue I am concerned about...geckos. I have to admit I have a serious phobia of any kind of lizard. In the tour guide book that I glanced through it said that geckos often get into guest bungalows. I was wondering if anyone had this problem during their visit. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. DH and I went to Tahiti for our honeymoon in May 2004. We stayed in Moorea and Bora Bora. We didn't have any geckos get into our bungalows!

Tahiti was extraordinarily gorgeous. It was outstanding and exactly like it looks like in pictures. When you're there it seems so surreal. The one thing I would note is that it is very remote and does not have a large population. Therefore, you're not going to find a lot of US-based conveniences. My DH was dying for a good cup of coffee while we were there as there are no Starbuck's or Peet's. Since it is remote, also keep in mind that the food is very, very expensive if you stay at a resort. Even breakfast per person for us was $30. EACH.

Did you need to know anything else?
  3. My cousin went last year. She stayed at Club Med and hated it. It was the first I heard of anyone hating Tahiti.
  4. I went to Tahiti (Bora Bora, Moorea, Tikehau) for our honeymoon - it was stunning and gorgeous! I would strongly recommend it if you can afford it - it is seriously one of the most beautiful locations in the world. I stayed in the overwater bungalows at each of my hotels, so we didn't see any geckos in the rooms - I would imagine it could be a possibility if I stayed on the beach. I did see geckos on poles and walls in some outdoor restaurants, but it wasn't too bad. I'm afraid of lizards too (plus my husband would say stupid things like, "umm...there's someone who wants to sell you car insurance on the wall next to you...") but it was manageable. I posted some pictures of my vacation in another thread; if you want to see them and get more tips just let me know!

As for Club Med, I heard the Club Med in Bora Bora is pretty run down and is a two star resort at best, so I'm not surprised efusik's cousin didn't like it. If you stick with the nicer beach resorts and get an overwater bungalow, you are in for a wonderful treat!
  5. My husband and I went in 2004, and absolutely loved it! We also stayed in the overwater bungalows...never saw any geckos. Amazingly beautiful place, but one of the most expensive I've ever been to. Save's worth it!