Anyone else interested in mythology?

1. While I find myths from different places interesting, I am especially fascinated by Greek mythology.

There are a couple myths that are especially interesting to me for different reasons.

The story of Persephone. Persephone is the daughter of Demeter. She was kidnapped by Hades and brought down to the underworld. Her mother was so distraught, she put earth to a standstill until she found her. Zeus was tired of the complaints from both people and gods that he forced Hades to return Persephone to her mother. Before she was returned, though, she was tricked into eating pomegranate seeds. The seeds forced her to return to the underworld for a number of months each year. When Persephone was with her mother, it flourished and was full of life. When she was with Hades, the earth was barren and dead.

This myth explains how the seasons came about. Also, Persephone is my favorite deity. Come on, she's queen of the Underworld! (That means TWO sets of outfits!)

The story of Orpheus and Eurydice. Orpheus, a Thracian singer, and Eurydice, a nymph, were married. One day, she was bitten by a snake which killed her. Orpheus was so distraught over her death, he no longer sang or played. He went down to the underworld to try to convince Hades and Persephone to let him take Eurydice back. They were so moved by the music of his lyre, that they agreed. They warned him, though, to walk in front of her and not look back until they have completely left the underworld. Just before they reached the upper world, he broke his promise, and Eurydice was lost. He ended up being dismembered by Thracian maenads, the female worshippers of Dionysus (the god of wine). He was torn to pieces, except for his head, which was cast into a river and floated downstream calling, "Eurydice."

After his death, he became an oracle. His head rests on a lyre encrusted with seaweed.

I know, this isn't the happiest story in the world, but in a weird way, it's romantic. Nobody would go through that much of a risk and that much tragedy if they didn't truly love the other person. It was clear that Orpheus loved Eurydice very much.
  2. Another thing that fascinates me is their concept of death and the afterlife. In Greek mythology, the dead go to Hades. Then they're judged on the way they lived their lives. If they were good, they went to the Elysian Fields. If they lived not such a good life, they were sent to Tartarus, where they recieved some sort of eternal punishment.

Zeus is king of the gods. He's not perfect and he makes mistakes. (Lots of them, actually). Hades is god of the underworld. He's not evil. (In fact, Zeus and Hades are brothers.)

They, along with their brother Poseidon, the god of the sea, drew lots to see who would be god of what.

Christianity is a monotheistic religion (one God with a lot of saints) and Greek mythology is polytheistic (lots of gods).

The Ancient Greeks would go to the temple of a specific god to pray and make an offering so that that particular god would bless them in some way. (If they wanted a good harvest, they would go to the temple of Demeter, the goddess of agriculture).

Granted, Catholics don't worship the saints as gods, but they do wear medals and pray to a certain saint. (Saint Christopher, for protection on a journey, for example).
  3. I alway have enjoyed mythology stories purly on an entertainment level.
  4. I've always been really into Greek mythology, and in the last couple of years my boyfriend has gotten me into Norse mythology and I've read a few very interesting books.
  5. Same here, I love Greek mythology and learning about it.
  6. Love Greek mythology so much!!!
    I tried to read every book I can get my hands on since I was 13yrs old!
    It's interesting to know that alot of words and... oh gosh! I cant remember what it's called but its...
    Ex. Narcissim, Odipus syndrome, Pandora's box, etc.
    All came from Mythology.
  7. I loved mythology when I was younger! Especially, Greek/Roman and Egyptian mythology...they were my faves.
  8. I was on the certamon team at my high school so I used to know A LOT of Greek and Roman mythology.
  9. Mythology was entertaining to me when I was a kid and still is to me today. I read mostly on Greek, Egyptian, Hindu and Norse mythology. In fact, lots of references and names are used in RPG games such as Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy( Just to name a few).

Yea... I'm a gaming geek...
  10. I just read a very basic mythology book for school, it was pretty interesting.
  11. i think i might start back up reading greek mythology, because i always enjoyed being entertained by the amorality of some of the gods.
  12. I'm studying this now actually in a few of my courses, it is very interesting. and yes the name origins, was always facinated about this when I took latin in high school.
  13. I have always found Mythology fascinating.
  14. Mythology fascinates me because of the personalities of the Gods. It's like we knew so much about psychology, we just used different language to describe it.

Have you ever read any Ovid, Caitlin?
  15. No, but I did read parts of Homer's The Odyssey.