Anyone Else Have Big Babies?

1. I'm on my 35th week and this is my 3rd pregnancy. Today in particular, I feel there is no room left in me to accommodate this growing baby.

My oldest son was born 6 years ago. I delivered at 37 weeks and he weighed in at 8 lbs 13 oz. My second, also a boy, is now 4, and he was born at 38 weeks weighing 7 lbs 4 oz. I delivered both babies vaginally. Now, I am not a big girl - I am 5'2" with an average frame. I don't have diabetes (gestational or otherwise). I don't gain a lot of weight (25 lbs with each pregnancy in the past, 12 lbs so far with this one) but somehow when I get to my 3rd trimester, they just really grow.

I visited my OB earlier this week and she estimates the baby to be 5 1/2 lbs already (I am guessing she is closer to 6). I remember with my first that I felt him EVERYWHERE. I don't feel that way yet, but I don't remember feeling this uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure she's fine and I know I'm ok (feet not swollen for one, thank goodness) - I'm pretty sure I'll be delivering in 2 weeks or so - but I'm hoping to hear from all you other moms who have big babies. What do you do when you get to this point? Aside from barely being able to breathe or walk half the time, I am getting bored out of my wits. I would do my nails but I can't reach my toes LOL...

2. I have big babies too, no GD, delivered a little into 36 weeks with one, 8lbs plus, and a little into 37 weeks with #2, 8 lbs. This one measured 4.5 lbs at 32 week ultrasound, so this may be my biggest yet. I am really tall, 5'10", but somewhat small in build. This one can barely move around according to ultrasound, he is running out of room. I have no suggestions,lol. I do however have to say I am kind of glad mine are big, since they generally deliver a bit early. Makes me feel a bit better about their health.

3. I agree with LVmom...be happy that you have big babies.

I delivered mine at 34 and 35 weeks. They weighed 5lbs.7 oz and 5 lbs. 8 oz. My son (34 weeks...5 lbs 7 oz.) was in the NICU for 8 days. Because they assumed (correctly), that my daughter would come early, too...I was on bedrest for most of the last trimester...with a toddler.

Even though you are so uncomfortable...look at it this way...you are creating a very healthy baby. Even though my "preemies" weren't my "fault"...I'll always regret that I couldn't carry to term . It'll be over over soon and you'll probably forget all your discomfort when you're holding your sweet baby!

Best Wishes!

4. My first born was a week early and weighed 9lbs 10.2oz. But he actually had problems after he was born, he swallowed fluid on the way out and was in NICU for 3 weeks.

My baby was a week early also and weighed 8lbs 12oz. Not as big but nowhere near small.

I'm not a small person though. 5'9" with a long torso so they have lots of room to grow.

5. Yep big babies are all I seem to have. Absolutely perfectly healthy myself and the babies no GD and Im also only 5ft. 2. Baby #1 7lbs. 14oz. Baby #2 8lbs. 9oz. and FINAL baby #3 9lbs. 2oz. All vaginal.

6. Nope, not me. I had a perfectly normal pregnancy, no complications at all except for some major heartburn towards the end (which isn't really a complication, but pretty much sucked!) but I delivered at 36 weeks and my son was only 5lbs 2 ozs. He had to stay in the hospital a few extra days until he got back 3 consecutive normal gluecose readings and he also had jaundice so had to go under the lights. Be happy for your big babies!!! :heart:

7. Thanks ladies! I am definitely thankful for my big and healthy babies, particularly since I myself work in a NICU and have to care for tiny ones all the time. I just wish I would expand a bit more to accommodate them? you can actually see her little feet moving around. It's nice that I normally don't need to wait the full 40 weeks but do make it to term:smile:

8. my son was born in an emergency unassisted homebirth and he was 9 lbs. 21 inches long. everyone thought i was pregnant with twins throughout my pregnancy. they are saying the same thing for this baby, but i don't think he/she will be as big. i am 5'11" tall with a strong build and no GD so my body was able to handle it. my son was born 2 days before his due date.

coincidentally, though i was only 4 lbs. 9 oz. at birth, one of my brothers was 10 lbs. 13 oz. and two of my nephews were well over 9 lbs. Big babies run in our family.

9. My pre pregnancy weight is anout 48kg and I am 1.55m. When my first son was delivered via C-sect, everyone was shocked that his birth weight (at full-term) was 10 pounds! Thank God I had no sign of labour, no show, no nothing even after induction that we decided to opt for a C-sect. I am not sure if I would have been able to survive a natural. Now 6 month with a second prince, I am def going for C-sect again.

10. Hang in there girl~ I remember the last two weeks I was pregnant with my son I did a lot of cross-stitching and read books like it was my lifetime favorite hobby! lol~ My son was born a few days later than the due date- and he was 10 pounds 1 ounce when he came out c-section.

I walked the malls too- for hours and hours. lol~ good luck and you must be excited to have a brand new life coming into yours soon! ;o)

11. My first was 8.1lbs and my second was 10lbs, I'm hoping this one will be a little smaller.

I know just what you mean about not feeling like there's any more room in there and it can be hard to do things. I went for lots of walks and read a lot of books with the first 2, this time around there seem to be a lot more options. I've been playing with my kids' games consoles (Wii & PSP).:tup: Good luck with everything.

12. my boy was born full term and he was 9 lb 5oz and i had a natural birth. my baby is perfectly heavy and i have no gestational diabetes or any other complications during my pregnancy. as people have mentioned, i would rather have a slightly large baby than a small baby.

13. mine are big too:yes:
    My DD was 8 1/2 lbs at birth and 30 lbs at her 1st birthday:shocked:
    She's 6 now and wears a 9/10 in clothing, she looks like a 3rd grader.

My twins were 2 weeks early and weighed nearly 7 lbs each, yes that's close to 14 lbs of baby in my 5'2" body, not to mention their sacs amniotic fluids, etc. . . .! LOL!

14. Yep, I have big babies too. I'm 5'6" and have a very big frame. With my first at the first appt. my midwife said, "Oh, lots of room for a baby in there!" Thanks! Finally a good thing about my big hips!

My first was 10 lbs 9 ozs, 22 inches and born at 38 weeks 5 days. NO gestational diabetes and I was tested for it twice.

Second pregnancy he was 11 lbs 14 ounces and 22 inches long at 38 weeks 4 days. This time I did have gestational diabetes discovered at 32 weeks (tested negative for it earlier in the pregnancy).

I was able to control the sugars with diet alone and had REALLy good numbers. When I saw how HUGE he was, I asked the neonatalogist about it and she said he did get big from having too much sugar, but her exact words were, "But LOOOOOOK at him? he's just a big boy overall. Even without the GD he would have been at least 10 and a half pounds." He didn't have any problems with blood sugars or anything else either, so they DID believe me that I was good!!!

Both were born natural, no drugs too. And nope, NO MORE BABIES FOR ME! For my first, I felt GREAT (after the first trimester) for the second? Most of my pregnancy I felt HORRIBLE and huge and very uncomfortable.

15. OMGosh, you must have been HUGE!!!! That's great that your twins were nice and big though.. but WOW!