Anyone else getting ready to send a little one off to pre-school?

1. My son, who will turn 4 on Aug. 19th, is off to Montessori school on Wednesday! I'm a stay at home mom and he is our only child, so needless to say, I'm at a bit of a loss. Of course, I want him to go and have loads of fun, but it's like, what the heck am I supposed to do now? I guess I'll spend all day at the Y working off the "baby weight"! Just wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat, or if anyone has any words of wisdom for me.
  2. My 20 month old is switching from daycare to Montessori at the end of this month... I am sooooo excited for him to go there. I was hesitant to switch him earlier. But for the past few months, he's been very interested in puzzle games, "projects," letters of the alphabet, etc. so we're crossing our fingers that this will be a better fit for him.:tup:

Good luck. I had to go back to work at 8 wks postpartum, so I don't have the separation anxiety as you do. But you will get over it, he will love it, he will still love you, and everyone will be happy!!!:yahoo:
  3. oh you guys will LOVE Montessori! My DD was in it 2 years before Kindergarten. We thought about keeping her there through K, but decided she'd be too far ahead if we did that. Isn't that a stinky problem? :p
    I can't decide if I'll go ahead and start my 3 yr old twins in montessori this year or wait until next:shrugs:

What's his schedule? Part or full-time?
  4. my boy will turn 5 in september and will go to Montessori end of August... I'm :crybaby: and happy for him, he is so big now and I will miss him.
  5. That is so exciting! My son has been in a special preschool for speech and gross motor delays for the last two years. He just turned 5 and he is entering MAINSTREAM kindergarten! Academically he is very strong. He will still attend speech therapy several times a week, but he has caught up in the gross motor department. It will be really hard to see him go full days because his pre-K was only half days, but I know he will do great.

How wonderful you have a Montessori school. We don't have any within over an hour's drive of here, but I have friends whose children attend them and they have nothing but great things to say about them!

Swanky, that IS a stinky problem, isn't it? The public schools are really unprepared to deal with kids who are ahead. I made the mistake of teaching my son the addition and subtraction flashcards before first grade and he has always been reading above grade level, and he was so bored in school. When they first started science, I remember him coming home and exclaiming, "Mom! Today we learned something in school I didn't already know!" I really, really don't want him tuning out so early, but I don't want to hold him back, either. It's a real problem.
  6. ^ITA
    It's a double egded sword :sad:
  7. My parents enrolled me into a public school when I was in second grade because my family moved to a new town. I was way ahead of the curriculum in math. I must have acted like a know it all because I remember that the teacher either reprimand me or was somehow mean to me. I think that affected me so much as a youngster that I became very shy in class and acted like I knew nothing. I never told my parents, but it must have been traumatizing since I still remember it. But don't feel bad for me since I ended up excelling academically anyway and obtained several graduate degrees, including a J.D. :p Point is, though, that putting your advance kids in "normal" school may actually be a problem.

8. No kidding. They separated our school out in 2nd grade into 'gifted' and regular kids. I, who started reading when I was 2-3 and could do math when I showed up, wasn't put into the gifted program. I don't know WHAT criteria they used, but my mother promptly pulled me out of public school. It seems that even IF there are programs in place, they still don't separate people very well. I'm already looking into preschool programs :p It's a bit early, but I guess never too early to start doing research.
  9. our school actually caters pretty well to children who are gifted:yes:
    Our public school is #2 in the entire state and the entire district is "exemplary".
    Last I checked 94% of our graduating seniors went on to college, that's very impressive for public school.

I don't think my child is "gifted" per se, but she has an uncanny reading ability, her teachers know it and give her more advanced reading materials.
  10. You are very lucky! My public school in KY didn't fare as well. High dropout rates in high school, etc. DH went to public school until the 5th grade here in OH. He was advanced in reading like your DD and was allowed to go to the library during class to pick out books to read while the others 'caught up' because he was so bored. That lasted until the 5th grade when his teacher took his being bored as him getting the 'opportunity' to tutor a couple of students who should have been in a special ed program instead of learning anything new himself. Just a mess! So he ended up in private school too.
  11. Yes, very excited that he is going to Montessori, but feel the same as a lot of you, that he will be so far ahead once he enters public school. Our Montessori actually has a first through third grade program also, but your child has to be invited into that. Then it would be really difficult to transition!
  12. I am sending my son to pre-school this year. He is 3. The only reason he is going to parochial school is because he does not qualify low enough to go to public pre-school. I am very excited for him to go. I feel all children have at least one area they can modify to help them become a better learner.

I teach both parochial students and public education students. There are benefits and negatives to BOTH. It truely depends on the invidual school and the manner in which they choose their curriculuum and how to implement it.

DH is an administrator and I too have MA in education administration. Education is a very diverse beast and it truely depends on the leaders to which the institution intrusts.

On the note of montessouri~ I have had children who have been pulled-out due to the lack of instruction they have received and the parents have requested special education testing. This happens as well.
  13. My 2 1/2 year old son will be starting a Montessori in September too. He currently goes to toddler school 2 days a week from 9 to 3 (we have a nanny to pick him up and stay with him the rest of the time because I work full time and then some!). I'm really excited about the Montessori - I know he'll enjoy it because he's laid back and a good sport. I'm a bit worried about it because the families all seem very affluent (I wish I could've taken a picture of the number of chanels at the meet-n-greet dinner).

Although I work, I fantasize about having free time on a regular basis. I would love to try writing a novel or short stories. I would also love to take some artsy classes. I know someone who took a great mosaic tile class and has since made all these cool accents for her kitchen and patio. Maybe even take up golf as a social sport. I would also love to do some volunteer work or even learn to be an instructor of a kid's program. Wouldn't it be great to be able to teach itsy bitsy yoga or a music program for kids! Then you'd have something fun to do with your own kids. You could also try yoga. I hear that there are forms of yoga that are good for shaping up and some forms that are good for motivation. Worst case scenario - you might be able to find a part-time job to save up money for your next bag purchase...Work doesn't seem like a fun alternative but it's a great way to meet people, especially if you aren't tied to your job for the money.
  14. my daughter is 3 and she started preschool.the first day we took like 100 pics, she said ok mommy and we laughed she is growing up. wow! she loves it.and learning alot.:tup:
    enjoy them now they truly grow up fast.
  15. So my son is starting a Montessori school that has a toddler class 18mo-3yo. They have half-days or full days. The half days go until 11:30, full from 8:30-3:30pm. I debated whether to go half or full ($$$) but decided on the full days so he could go through the routine of napping with other kids, etc. They also will introduce him to potty training (if he is interested). Our Montessori will put us out about $12K for 9 months, then we'll have to pay for the "summer" program. I know, yikes. (This is just for the basic full-time program, plus facility fees, and meals $1K and drinks $500.) But it's the best one, and it happens to be really close to where we live.

His current daycare has a community feel and we love it. It's ungated in a residential neighborhood, and my co-workers have seen my son walking along a rope with his buddies around the streets. It is totally nonpretentious, and in fact, I feel guilty getting such a good "deal" ($620/mo for M-F full time) when I overhear other parents crying about not being able to afford the tuition, or when I see the person on the phone with the list of overdue parents... But they're losing their lease next year and have not found a new building. I don't want to deal with switching next year...

Another reason I went with full time is that I work nights at the hospital, so although it's mostly not that busy, it gives me free mommy time during the day to sleep!:wlae: