Anyone doing the low carb thing??

1. I started on my low carb program about four weeks ago and I quickly dropped a total of about 10 pounds. But now it has come to a halt.

I don't know what to do. I call it a low carb program b-cuz its actually my version of Atkins. I did Atkins a few years back and dropped over 20 pounds. I learned what did and did not work for me. So I follow my own program within the guide lines of Atkins.

I'm just wondering if anyone who's done low carb diets has experienced this before.

I guess I'm disappointed b-cuz it worked so well for me before. Now its taking much longer. I WANT TO LOSE 10 more pounds!!!!:mad: :mad:

2. I did Atkins about 4 years ago following very strict rules. I did lose a couple of pounds but my health also went down the hill, I got high cholestrol the same year that I did Atkins and now I am just watching the portions of food I eat and try to be healthy.

When you say you fellow your own guidline? I know the whole point of Atkins is minimal carb intake, so if you're only loosely following it then it doesn't work. I still don't recommend Atkins but I respect everyone's lifestyle and I wish you luck

Girls are always on diet, I'm trying to work out more so I can fit into my two piece for the summer.:amuse:

3. No, I lose better when I just limit my calories, not the % of fat/carb/protein so much. I also go to the gym 3-4 days /week.
    My DH can lose VERY fast on eliminating carbs though! :-0

4. with any sort of diet you're going to hit a weight plateau every now and then, the best way to bust through it and keep losing is to make sure you drink lots of water, increase your physical activity, and vary your foods as much as possible.

5. When I say I'm following my own guidelines i mean that I dont eat all the fatty crap that Atkins says that you can comsume an unlimited amount of.
    According to the Atkins program you can eat all the fatty's meats that you desire. I don't do that. I eat lots of fish and chicken and very few fatty meats. I think that's where a lot of people go wrong.

They eat large portions of pork and beef and bacon and eggs and steak and so on. Anyones health will deteriorate by doing that.

Like Amanda says I guess I will continue doing what I'm doing and see what happens. I am so proud of my self for cutting out sugar. Everyone should do that. It makes a huge difference.
    There are some good sugar-free candies out there too for when I have a craving :p

Also I really think that I've been using my shopping for handbags and chatting on this forum as a substitution for food. It sounds silly but true. My waistline is smaller and so is my pocketbook :lol:

6. Are you exercising? This can make ALL the difference.

7. lol i use bags as a substitute for food, too...when i've been really good on my diet for a little while, i reward myself! i used to reward myself for doing well in life with candy or baked goods or a really great meal, but that's not a healthy way to look at food - it did make my ass fat, after all.

and russel stover makes some quite good no-sugar candies :smile:

8. OMG YES!!!! I love Russell Stover's sugar free pecan delights!! they taste just like Turtles. I cannot tell that they are sugar free at all. :biggrin:

9. I am not big into low-carb. I find that if I ever don't eat enough carbs (more by accident than on purpose) I feel sluggish and tired. I just focus on eating 'good' carbs. I stay away from white processed carbs- like white rice and stick with brown rice and sweet potatoes. But that is just me!

10. i think the low carb thing is silly. calories are calories.

11. I eat healthy calories-- fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean meat. I've done so for almost a year, and healthily lost 25 pounds. I exercise about 2-5 times a week. Some weeks I'm good, others I'm a sloth. Calories I range from 1000-2000 a day, based on my activity/stress/going out level :smile:

12. I have struggled with eating disorders most of my life. Unfortunately all of these fad diets are great for initially loosing weight but after you stop the diet much of the weight comes back (in my experience). Congrats on loosing the intial weight though, I know the feeling. You are best to start increasing your exercise now but start introducing the carbs - our bodies need them.

I have been on almost every single fad diet and I have found that I love to run so I run almost every single day now and am now working towards my first marathon :biggrin:. I feel I don't have to watch every single thing I put in my mouth now and I have never been leaner, fitter and healthier in my life.

From my experience I say eat a well balenced diet including lean meats (assuming you are not a vegetarian); wholegrain breads, rice & pasta; fresh fruit and veges; nuts & legumes and low fat dairy products and exercise for at least 30 minutes per day and you can spoil yourself by having something you love like chocolate :biggrin: or pizza. If you hate to go to the gym, take up dancing lessons, play a team sport or just go power walking.

I have come to realise that food is one of life's little pleasures. My mother recently past away with bowl cancer and she was a strict dieter her entire life. We don't know if this caused the cancer but I say don't mess with your body, we only have one and we need to look after it.

Good luck.

13. no - thats so last year LOLOLLL!

14. no easy way in losing weight...you have to exercise and do tons of cardio...getting in shape takes dedication and hardwork...my trainer laughs at these diets out there, some carbs are good for you!! its ridiculous to go on a NO carb diet, your body needs these nutrients...with some diets, you will notice weight loss, but it is NOT LONG TERM! You need exercise, it feels so gooooooooooooood too :smile: good luck though, but please remember theres no easy route!!

15. Just because you've hit a breaking point, don't just quit and give up. I think that's why so many people say diets don't work. Personally, I'm not a fan of the low-carb diet. It's just a matter of eating the "right" kind of carbs. Anyway, keep doing what you're doing, maybe increase your physical activity a bit. In every diet a person will go through something like this. I'm doing the Weight Watchers thing, but like you, I'm doing it my own way. Suddenly I hit a little slow spot and then I weighed myself and found I lost 3lbs! Hang in there, every now and again it will get slow... but then you get a pleasant surprise :o)