Anybody know MLA/APA?

1. Okay, I'm writing a philosophy paper and I'm trying to figure out how and the heck to cite something to no avail. I'm writing a paper on a classic work by Aristotle. I'm trying to figure out how to direct quote. Different sources say different ways of how to direct quote in text.

The difficulty I'm having is that since the paper is just based off of one book I don't need to put an author when I direct quote. I need to instead put the "quote here" (page number,book,lines,etc). The hard part is the work by Aristotle is broken down into books. Each book has a chapter. Each book, with chapters, have lines. I usually write in APA format but I'm not finding much in my manual about this type of citation.

If anyone knows how to cite something like this in APA or MLA please let me know. So far I've been doing "Quote here" (page number, bk. #, ch.#) which I think is in line with MLA but I'm wondering if I need to add lines as well.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just confused, lol.
  2. i'm not completely sure about this, but i think you should add line number as well. chapter number is not too specific... some of the chapters might be a little long and it would be difficult for the person reading it to find the quote that you are using. it would make it a lot easier if you put the line number down. also, i don't think you'll be penalized for making your citation more specific.

you should just do a search in google for mla parenthetical citation. it might just be ok for you to put the page number since you are only using one text.

good luck on your paper! i'm writing one right now too.
  3. Is it too late to email your prof/TA about this?

It should probably go:
    "quote here" (book#, chapter#, line #/#s)

If you're writing on a work that already has set line numbers, you should use those to cite your in-text quotations instead of page numbers. Page numbering varies from edition to edition; book, chapter and line numbering is pretty much universal. It's much more specific and makes it easier for whoever's grading your paper to look the quote up themselves if they feel the need to. Unless you were specifically instructed to cite page numbers, then I'd cite line number(s) instead.
  4. The best way to figure it out correctly would be to look at a paper written about the work you're quoting. Look how that writer cites the work, and do the same. :idea:
  5. Thanks for your input. My professor is actually pretty leniant but I'm just anal about things, lol. I've tried google-ing without many good results. Thanks for the tips.
  6. I'm doing a big report at the moment. I've been using this site as a guide:

On the right side, under "Research and Citation" there's information on both MLA and APA formats.
  7. I always use this one book for it that outlines the format (called A Writer's Reference by Diana Hacker), it's really helpful, maybe you can see if there's one you can look at at your local bookstore? Also, the site that LadyRacer posted is good, this would probably work well for your quotations:
  8. I am finally done, and thank goodness! I will def bookmark those sites. Thank you for the recommendations. It is rare that I have to write a paper about classic literature anymore, as most of my classes are nursing classes and are more research-based. Thanks for the help. Another paper bites the dust! woohoo!
  9. Lol congrats!!!
    I hate doing papers where so many sources are needed...try to figure out how to cite them all correctly. Yikes. :sweatdrop:

Anyway yay, now you can sleep haha.