Anybody had the Keratin Complex Hair Therapy by Copolla?

Apr 12, 2008
My aunt recently told me about a new straightening method called the Keratin Complex Hair Therapy and I have been looking up some reviews for it on the net. It looks like a great alternative to thermal reconditioning that I've had done to my hair and the damage that my hair was left with. The lady she is going to go to will charge her $150. Does this sound about right? Has anyone had this procedure done? Any thoughts? I'd love to hear everything both positive and negative. So far, I can't find anything negative about it on the web!

I had a keratin treatment done this past Friday, but mine wasn't for straightening, it was to make the hair stronger and help preserve the color, or at least that's what my stylist told me. SO this is the thing, I paid $350 for mine and the price doesn't bother me too much, I would be all about it if I thought it actually did any good. You cannot get your hair wet or get any "kinks" in it for 72 hours, and let me tell you, your hair looks and feels awful the whole time. I finally washed the stuff out this morning and it seems to work no better than any deep conditioning treatment I have ever had. I hope this helps, I know you're asking about the straightening treatment but from everything I have heard the application and rules are the same, it's just the end results that are different. Bottom line- it is so not worth it- at ;east in my opinion.

Wow - thanks for your review. I haven't read anything like what you are saying on the web - but it was precisely what I was looking to hear. Everything I have read has all these glowing reviews and before and after pics...but you can never be too sure if the reviews are from product pushers, or actual consumers.

I have the thermal reconditioning done regularly, but was thinking of switching if this is less harsh. So far, your review seems to suggest to stay with my regular TR.

Anyone else have any experience?

^^From what I have read I think the Brazilian straightening does use formaldehyde, I'm pretty sure a few months back Allure did a great article outlining the dangers of the process.

The procedure I did had 3% formaldehyde. I did a bunch of research beforehand and it really didn't seem much more dangerous than anything we else we do in the name of beauty. I loved it. Made my hair amazing! It has since washed out. What is this new process???

Sorry it took me so long to respond -

I got this from another website:

Curly hair is very porous. People with curly hair ahve less keratin in the shaft. Asians, Native Americans,etc. have a lot of keratin. That's why their hair is so shiney and stong. In these relaxers, the keratin fills in the pores and the bonding agent - formaldehyde or whatever, allows the keratin to adhere to the hair shaft.

Isn't this basically just like the Brazilian method? Not too sure...

Yes the Keratin Smoothing Complex by Coppola is fairly new. It has been around since 2007. Also, keep in mind that the Keratin is a SMOOTHING treatment, not a straightening system. The difference between the Keratin and the Brazilian is that the Brazilian contains formaldehyde. Allure did do an article on that very topic and did an amazing job telling in detail the cons of using formaldehyde in your hair. If you have any other questions, please feel free to visit my site at xxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the Keratin Smoothing Complex by Coppola is fairly new. It has been around since 2007. Also, keep in mind that the Keratin is a SMOOTHING treatment, not a straightening system. The difference between the Keratin and the Brazilian is that the Brazilian contains formaldehyde. Allure did do an article on that very topic and did an amazing job telling in detail the cons of using formaldehyde in your hair. If you have any other questions, please feel free to visit my site at [x

Thank you so much for your post. I appreciate your post and certainly will warn everyone I know about the risks of the Brazilian treatment

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody else tried this? It's been 6 weeks since I got mine done, and
I no longer see the difference in my hair :/ I was hoping it would last longer.
I was in the hot tub quite a few times and also did not always use the proper shampoo/conditioner.
I'm thinking of retreating my hair with the Copolla tx but I'm curious what other experiences have been with it?

I had the Brazilian but not Copolla, although I know some people who have. I had the choco something. I love mine. I have pretty curly hair and this makes it much easier to straighten. When I dry like normal it is still just as curly, but I have the option of going straight easier now too! I didn't notice any difference in health of my hair, but I wanted something to straighten, I will for sure get it again. I had mine done 8 weeks ago and I can tell I am just about to need it again. They say the more you have it, the longer it lasts.

I'm bumping this thread to find out more about the Coppola treatment. I wanted to get the Brazilian Blowout but my salon no longer offers it. When I talked to them, they said they phased out the Brazilian because the Coppola results were better. So now they offer only the Coppola. However, after checking out the Brazilian Blowout before and after thread, those results look great.

I've never had any type of process like this. My hair is wavy, not curly. It fuzzes up in the summer and drives me nuts. I'm trying to decide what I should do and if the Coppola gets good results.

Anyone have more info about the Coppola?

Ok I've had both.

Coppola gets great great great results. However, it has a bit of formaldehyde in it, which the BB does not.

The biggest difference, besides the formula, is the process. Since I had three Coppola treatments before the Brazilian Blowouts, it's hard for me to talk about the results since I couldn't compare the BB on virgin hair. Anyway, about the process.

When you get the Coppola treatment done, they wash your hair a few times with the shampoo from their line. Then they put the product in. It goes up in a shower cap, and you sit there for 20 minutes, I think. Then they blow dry it and flat iron it. This is the end of the process. You have to wait 72 hours before washing it. You are advised to keep your hair down, not wear hats, not wear sunglasses on top of your head, not tuck your hair behind your ears, etc. It's basically a huge pain. Your hair is STICK straight for three days. If it does get a bit messed up, you can flat iron the crimp out and it's fine.

With the BB, they wash it out after they flat iron and then they blow dry/flat iron again. You can wash your hair the day of. HUGE. ADVANTAGE.

Here's a pic of my natural hair a few weeks after my second coppola treatment.
5zp3j4.jpg

here's my natural hair after my second BB (and three coppola treatments)
30lynmx.jpg

Def not a huge difference.

i need to go, i can add more later!

Methcat, thanks a lot for this really helpful info. So if I understand you right, you feel like the results of the Coppola and the BB were basically the same right? The major difference is the formula and process. And the downside of the Coppola is the three days without messing it up or denting it.

Your hair looks really great in both pics. I'm wondering what type of results I may get, or if it is even worth it for me? If I have minor fuzzy hair due to the humidity and I guess that the right product might tame it. However, the keratin processes sound so nice that it makes me want to try it!

One last question, if you aren't supposed to bend/dent your hair for 3 days, how did you sleep after the Coppola?