Anybody digging Lanvin lately? Or other super expensive high-end brands that are not "IT" right now?

Who do you think is the next up and coming (or resurrected) super luxury handbag designer?

• Total voters

TraceySH

Always hunting for the next bag
Feb 28, 2016
Hey everyone! So, I find myself drawn to some Lanvin lately. I know - GASP and HORROR! I think some of these bags are beautiful. I know Gucci is having a moment (not my moment apparently, a little loud) and LV is doing structured paint splattering and cartoons thing, and, to ME, Chanel is a bit....blah right now (please no one troll me for that). I sort of have the Chanel's I want and nothing is screaming at me to drop another 5k on a revisionistic bag from another season. Valentino is rocking with some of the straps, I think, and Dior is coming out with some interesting things. Chloe, Givenchy, Balenciaga & Celine are sort of adding a little spice here and there, but nothing that rocks my world (never has TBH). Prada's got a little fun going on, but their straps are short right now which annoys me as a crossbody wearer.

My eye has been drawn to some Tod's (I don't own one but their cross-T with the fringe tassels is cute). And I do not yet own a Lanvin bag. Clothing, yes, and the quality is unsurpassable. Anyone have any good opinions here? Anyone going against the "IT" trends but spending the same $$ on another designer? Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 12.34.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-13 at 12.36.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-13 at 12.36.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-13 at 12.36.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-13 at 12.37.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-13 at 12.12.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-13 at 12.33.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-13 at 12.34.05 PM.png

Reactions: Summerfriend
I have seen Lanvin bags in real life and they are gorgeous.
But to answer your question, I think Fendi style is amazing.
I talked to an SM in one of their boutiques, He told me that lots of ladies come to get one of those lovely fur bugs to attach to their Hermès bags and walking around the boutique, can't believe how beautiful and well made Fendi bags are.
No bling, only great craftsmanship and classic yet modern design.

I have seen Lanvin bags in real life and they are gorgeous.
But to answer your question, I think Fendi style is amazing.
I talked to an SM in one of their boutiques, He told me that lots of ladies come to get one of those lovely fur bugs to attach to their Hermès bags and walking around the boutique, can't believe how beautiful and well made Fendi bags are.
No bling, only great craftsmanship and classic yet modern design.

Thank you for responding, and I am glad you've seen Lanvin bags IRL (I bit the bullet and ordered the jiji bags above). And you are so right about Fendi. They are lovely quality bags. Not many designers make beautiful colors, but Fendi does. I guess Balenciaga does, but for me, the bags seem like they are for a younger, girly crowd. Fendi has some beautiful colors right now, purple, lilac, pink, mint green, etc. esp in the 3jours and peekaboo. I did preorder a strap from BG, it's multicolored velvet for fall. I definitely thing Fendi is having a moment right now, and is back on the list of re-surging brands. Yay!

Reactions: missie1
It seems that Tod's is coming back, I don't know, the brand doesn't make me dream....
Alexander Mc Queen is rather "confidential", I like the Legend, but it looks like many other bags, finally.
Dolce&Gabbana .....Pure art ...But I can't see myself carrying one.
Congrats on your Lanvin purchase!:heart::heart:

I've also been drawn to Lanvin in the past but haven't yet taken the plunge to purchase anything. Nothing currently fits my short list of what I still need but I'm open to the brand and have been keeping an eye on them. I wish they did more with silver hardware, though I see some on the bags you posted so I'll have to check out FarFetch. Overall, I've been a jot leery of purchasing a Lanvin at full price since it does seem to go through some pretty significant markdowns at season end.

About Tod's, I own 3 Tod's bags from prior years and love them. They are quietly elegant and beautifully made. I always am asked about them too. A great resource for Tod's is their outlet in Cabazon. I used to have a great SA there but he moved to Gucci's outlet and, in all honesty, I haven't been blown away by the wave bag. From what I've read, it's difficult to get in and out of. Tod's doesn't seem to produce a large number of different designs and there hasn't been anything recently that's got my attention.

Reactions: TraceySH
It seems that Tod's is coming back, I don't know, the brand doesn't make me dream....
Alexander Mc Queen is rather "confidential", I like the Legend, but it looks like many other bags, finally.

I agree with Dolce & Gabbana...totally beautiful! I have a bag and it is stunning. Would recommend anyone to check that out if they're looking for a bag that's beautiful and chic but not overly saturated at all.

I've also been drawn to Lanvin in the past but haven't yet taken the plunge to purchase anything. Nothing currently fits my short list of what I still need but I'm open to the brand and have been keeping an eye on them. I wish they did more with silver hardware, though I see some on the bags you posted so I'll have to check out FarFetch. Overall, I've been a jot leery of purchasing a Lanvin at full price since it does seem to go through some pretty significant markdowns at season end.

About Tod's, I own 3 Tod's bags from prior years and love them. They are quietly elegant and beautifully made. I always am asked about them too. A great resource for Tod's is their outlet in Cabazon. I used to have a great SA there but he moved to Gucci's outlet and, in all honesty, I haven't been blown away by the wave bag. From what I've read, it's difficult to get in and out of. Tod's doesn't seem to produce a large number of different designs and there hasn't been anything recently that's got my attention.

Tods bags are beautifully made, the Joy tote is one I've had my eye on for a little while. I had a Lanvin bag briefly, but whilst the leather was nice the hardware was really jangly and I couldn't live with it, I felt self conscious wearing the bag! I hope it's improved.

I love Lanvin bags! I was not satisfied after the first one. I have 3 of the quilted happy medium - blue, taupe, and grey. The leather is soooo soft. Although, it has a structured shape, it is generally on the softer side. I love them and did not really even care to think if it was an "it" bag or not. I'm thinking of adding the smaller quilted ones not sure yet which one but I'm taking my time :smile:

Tods bags are beautifully made, the Joy tote is one I've had my eye on for a little while. I had a Lanvin bag briefly, but whilst the leather was nice the hardware was really jangly and I couldn't live with it, I felt self conscious wearing the bag! I hope it's improved.

I've had my eye on the Joy tote too! They also have a new tote with braided detailing that is sort of in line with the boho trend called the Gipsy bag. Overall, I love Tod's quality.

Yes I prefer not purchasing "it" bags. I have a lanvin bag and love it.
Recently I purchased a Fendi "by the way" bag. I have not been interested in Fendi bags for years and years, and I stumbled upon them recently. I was so pleasantly surprised by what I felt and saw. Great quality bags, and they wear really well. My bag seems to resist scuffing a lot more than other bags, and just feel like good quality.

Tod's craftmanship and materials are amazing. The detail, the thick silk lining, the simplicity. Dolce & Gabbana has some really amazing designs out right now and the bags are workhorses.

I adore Ferragamo as well. Their designs are wonderful and have something for everyone.

Also, the most shocking one for me might be Kimora Lee Simmons' line. I bought a card case to dip my toes and was really impressed with quality. Perfect stitching, soft leather that's taken a beating in my bags and is no worse the wear, lovely design, made in Italy.

I visited the D&G boutique last week in Vegas, and there are a TON of options not seen in stores or their online boutique. It gave me an entirely new appreciation for their bags. They are thoughtful and artistic and HAPPY!! I don't dig the AMcQ bags, a little too "forced" skull things and all. Reminds me of that, gosh, who was that designer that was all skulls? OH!! Ed Hardy.

Reactions: floatinglili

So here are the Tod's bags that caught my eye - I think they are beautiful and look incredibly comfortable! I will have to visit that outlet when I am in CA next....Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 6.09.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-14 at 6.10.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-14 at 6.11.37 PM.png

Reactions: Mariapia